Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Need to Clear My Conscience About This.

I also want to get away from this thread because I want to learn how and more importantly why the changes that are recommended are done and what improvement it should be and how the logs show this. Please stay tune (can't believe I used that word) in the next day or so and I will start a new thread dedicated to learning how to tune my car. The best way to learn is OTJ and I have a engine I need to get tuned. I have a race this weekend which my car isn't going to make (not tuned) BUT we (wife and I) have an annual HillCimb race always over the 4th July weekend that we both have set many records throughout the years in different classes - 4 in this car alone when it was stock (AS, BS, ASL, BSL) and now we are moving to a much tougher class (ASP/ASPL) and that record for me would be an amazing accomplishment if I could do it with this car. BUT I need to get it tuned first and with the support I have here I think I can.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TBSteck View Post
    I also want to get away from this thread because I want to learn how and more importantly why the changes that are recommended are done and what improvement it should be and how the logs show this. Please stay tune (can't believe I used that word) in the next day or so and I will start a new thread dedicated to learning how to tune my car. The best way to learn is OTJ and I have a engine I need to get tuned. I have a race this weekend which my car isn't going to make (not tuned) BUT we (wife and I) have an annual HillCimb race always over the 4th July weekend that we both have set many records throughout the years in different classes - 4 in this car alone when it was stock (AS, BS, ASL, BSL) and now we are moving to a much tougher class (ASP/ASPL) and that record for me would be an amazing accomplishment if I could do it with this car. BUT I need to get it tuned first and with the support I have here I think I can.
    Just PM me and we can get in contact via fb, i can provide some guideance. I am never on this site. Or email me [email protected]
    Last edited by DeeJayZee; 05-26-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    DeeJayZee,
    I promise I took no offense to anything you put, and I can understand being frustrated with it. My reasonings go deeper then I put, to include the hectic schedule I will be having soon. I haven't done anything special so me not being active on here shouldn't affect anything. Usually someone beats me to advice anyways.
    Mike that's BS. Your helping with PID's and the info given on injection timing and much more? It would be a shame if you were not here. I hope your life smooths out. I know I can figure most of this tuning out by myself, if I had hours and hours of testing. I don't. So from the veterans steering me the right way has given me the opportunity to excel at a lot faster pace than would be if I had to do it on my own. So thanks form me Mike

Tuner
    Mike
    I didn't thank you because of that. I am just that way!! I don't want anything for nothing, and at this point the only thing I'm good at is thanking, so that's my offering at this point. I understand what your saying about the few who keep learning and giving info and others not offering that could. John has felt that way for along time and I agree. I hope you are not thinking of me, when you say some just want tables.

Advanced Tuner
    I'd hate to see you bow out Mike as you are the one that helped me the most to see things from a different perspective. I had the rose colored glasses known as the GM revised tune from a veteran tuner and you helped me to see without them. Hope you can stick around and if only for short periods, I understand as I know how life and schedules don't always allow us the time we need.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hey MikeM, Please don't stop, there are too many newbs like me out here hanging on every bit of detail I can get from the likes of you, codenamebill, and GMtech.
    You all usually go way over my head but... I'm going to learn this. With your help and some formal training I may be able to offer some intelligent questions for the form to chew on. I'm really sorry what has happened to TBSteck, that is most unfortunate. But this thread even though I'm trying to learn the LS3 tune has taught me a lot. I just wanted you to know you and your experience are most appreciated.

CCSOB's LNF bible thread, anything out of GMTech's mouth ever, MikeM's threads esp injector timing, LNF optimum spark, LNF optimum torque, LNF PID's, it's all out there.

I was telling MikeM offline today how sad the Gen5 LT1 and c7z threads are. It's like stone age all over again. They all tune like they're carb'd. GM's new PID based ecu's are a direct derivative of the Bosch. Where do you think they learned it from?? They function nearly the same only with more freedom and renamed table functions.

I'll prob be on again when I start playing with the LT1 or LS7 in the ctsv+.

Tuner
    Interesting ^^

As for Term's tune, I don't see anything dangerously wrong with it, although I don't know the specifics of the car. Couple strange things in it, but as I said, nothing dangerous. .89 Lambda is a little lean imo, but you guys have better fuels down there too. I do wonder though, why cyl #4 has a different spark table than the other three; don't think that'd cause any problems, but I was told to time them the same. Dal and Wg a little odd, but whatever.. better if it was smoother but it's not gonna blow a motor.
    My two cents anyways.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayZee View Post
    True, i don't come here for help, and my reason for today was one of the guys with the tune I fixed had directed me to this page. His ordeal has been going on for months now, and was solved within 24 hours of our first contact through tuning. My issue is people like Term charging 350-400USD for tuning that grenades cars, and all of their excuses. My answer to that is: go take some tuning courses. Learn DI and how it works and how to tune it properly. I am sorry, i didn't read the heap of pages where someone already called him on his crap, after all I have dealt with regarding terminator, I got to say my piece. Sorry if it offended you mike. Cant exactly contact the guy or girl on facebook, Brittany or whoever their shady email identity should be enough to raise concern with potential customers. Again, i didnt mean to offend you or ruffle your feathers Mike.
    I dont know who you are but let me tell you something. Brittany is my wife and that is our email and there is nothing shady about me. Those two cars you think you fixed the only issue causing that KR was something that I could not control and that nothing would kill not even pulling boost or timing or any amount of MAF tuning would fix. All I needed to do was rebuild those files starting with a clean stock file and they would have both been fine (I know this because I did one file already and all KR gone with the same settings). Those 2 files as well as one possibly 2 others were corrupted by a virus my computer caught (It killed part of my scanner config as well and I just got my computer back today from being fixed). I don"t have issues like this normally. I have been tuning LNFs for 6 years now and done well over 400 cars in those 6 years and of those half a dozen total have had issues and 3 of those have been the last couple months. 98% of the cars I have done have had no issues.

I not grenade peoples cars in fact my own LNF cobalt has 6 years and 75000 miles on its original bone stock motor and stock turbo running a tune virtually identical to TBStecs tune except the one in my car was running 3-4* more timing with no KR.
    Last edited by Terminator2; 05-28-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Sorry Tyler, I disagree. There is no lynch mob when it's two people sharing an extremely similar experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayZee View Post
    Honestly, term should step back and stick to LSJ/e67 tuning - albeit i havent seen any LSJ logs from concerned individuals. I have never seen such garbage, ... ALWAYS blame it on shitty fuel or mechanical issues ... blaming a computer virus for his latest big turbo fuckups ... a telltale sign to stop fuqqin with things you have no idea about what youre touching... Go take some tuning courses before you blow more people up.
    It's like I can see this shit from a mile away. Lynch mob.

I think I am just done with it. Email tunes, and this forum.
    YUUUP!
    While I used to appreciate the ecotec community, it's become the breeding group for people to stab each other in the back.
    Mike, a suggestion; branch outside of the 4cyl community. The HPT forum isn't buggered, just this part of it.
    Tyler

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by omega_5 View Post
    It's like I can see this shit from a mile away. Lynch mob.
    That guy came out of nowhere. So one instance, and it's now a lynch mob? I still disagree but I'm not about to start a pissing match over it either. This thread served it's purpose. "Trust" but VERIFY
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Senior Tuner
    I think I am just done with it. Email tunes, and this forum. It is only the same guys posting and asking questions, and only fewer that are trying new things out and teaching. I came here to help. I don't know everything and try new stuff to help this community all the time yet we always have the same stuff. Someone who wants to bash openly, or people who just want the tables instead of the knowledge given to them. We obviously proved Terms tune was bad but instead we escalate this up and detract from the learning that was just going on. We have the same 5 guys that thank the few that teach and they are very grateful yet we have thousands of views and no questions. No one else willing to put forth the time. This is not a bash against you DeeJayZee. I've been feeling like this for a while. I will answer PM's when I can, and some of you have my phone number and/or email and you can still reach me there. I am not the greatest tuner, your loss of me here will most likely not hurt you much. If I already said I would tune someone I will still do it but from here on out I will do my own thing and keep in contact with the good buddies I have that are tuners. Thanks to those who actually cared and we're active.
    Mike. Some of us still do read and keep up with the new information and findings by others. Not all of us old dogs post either as in the past we have been victim of arguments and such shenanigans to shy away in tot he shadows, but still lurk to slap around those who need it.

While I used to appreciate the ecotec community, it's become the breeding group for people to stab each other in the back.
    Mike, a suggestion; branch outside of the 4cyl community. The HPT forum isn't buggered, just this part of it.
    Tyler, it died many years ago. Now it's rampant stupidity, and some of us that are still active in the Ecotec world are left holding the pieces. IE Pwerks and that asshattery going on there, among others. Plus Mr Powell won't let me leave the ecotec world.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    CCSOB's LNF bible thread, anything out of GMTech's mouth ever, MikeM's threads esp injector timing, LNF optimum spark, LNF optimum torque, LNF PID's, it's all out there.

I was telling MikeM offline today how sad the Gen5 LT1 and c7z threads are. It's like stone age all over again. They all tune like they're carb'd. GM's new PID based ecu's are a direct derivative of the Bosch. Where do you think they learned it from?? They function nearly the same only with more freedom and renamed table functions.

I'll prob be on again when I start playing with the LT1 or LS7 in the ctsv+.

And then we get some of these company's tuning Direct Injection cars like they are "old school"
    I am dealing with this now in pioneering the 2015+ WRX community tuning. Cobb and other tunes are all running 10.35 AFR at WOT on a direct Injection engine. They just don't get it. They're all trying to tell their customers that Subaru Set these car's up with a dangerously lean AFR (They command around a 0.81 Lambda from the factory........so most tuners as targeting a 0.72 Lambda to get into the "safe" range. I keep thinking that this can't be the first Direct Injected car that Cobb and others are experiencing, after all they have been doing the Focus ST, MazdaSpeed and others for a while.
    Last edited by PSYKOSTEVO; 05-28-2015 at 06:51 PM.

You should read the v6 and gen5 v8 forums. Idk how many people think c7z should be running 10.5 afr and pull timing every time you see kr. At least they've figured out GM's version of the OS table (driver demand).

You're going to see a ton of blown (sploded) engines for awhile because no one gets it. Haven't even seen a single mention of the PID's.

Advanced Tuner
    I hear you on that. Since Subaru just got DIT engines, it is taking some hand holding to get people to see my way. People saying you can't fine tune without a wideband, etc because they have no clue that DIT cars have a factory wideband. They all claim that 12.0+ is way too lean at WOT, and they all seem to think that 19psi is the most you should run (I think this comes from years of tuning the previous gen turbos to that level). One guy even told me that the TD04 turbo wasn't good for much more than that, except the DIT engine doesn't even use a TD04!

Interestingly Subaru also has a knock feedback system that seems characteristic of these cars. It is a blanket knock value that just simply identifies drivetrain noise, but doesn't always actually remove timing. You have to look at your actual timing advance too to determine if the knock you were seeing in the scanner was possibly real.

Another interesting note about the FA20DIT from Subaru is that the entire fuel system seems to be capable of supporting full e85. The HPFP, Injectors, etc are all sufficient at this point.

HM all sounds pretty familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    Tyler, it died many years ago. Now it's rampant stupidity, and some of us that are still active in the Ecotec world are left holding the pieces. IE Pwerks and that asshattery going on there, among others. Plus Mr Powell won't let me leave the ecotec world.
    If I had to pin point, it's right around the time that 2nd generation owners started popping up.
    Hey... kind of reminds me of when the DSM community went to hell. Coincidence?
    Tyler

Senior Tuner
    If I had to pin point, it's right around the time that 2nd generation owners started popping up.
    Hey... kind of reminds me of when the DSM community went to hell. Coincidence?
    That would be a good assumption. Right around 2010 when the most of us got rid of them, and retarded 16 year olds with lap tops came into the world of cars.....
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    That would be a good assumption. Right around 2010 when the most of us got rid of them, and retarded 16 year olds with lap tops came into the world of cars.....
    Yeah..... I find myself tuning people who were still learning how to flush a toilet when I bought my Cobalt. They have dreamed of the car for 10-11 years until they finally got their driver's license and now they finally have it. Putting that into perspective for my own age, I did the same thing with the Pontiac Fiero many years ago, LOL. I was that kid to the Fiero crowd back then.

I have been tuning LSJ and LNF cars that are on their 3rd or 4th owner by now sometimes. And I have some of the same cars come back to me later with a different owner who has no idea I previously tuned the car they now own. That's a weird feeling sometimes.

One thing I have never understood about the Cobalt community (and I am sure that all car communities are similar in this regard) is when they can justify all day slapping a $500-900 cat back exhaust system on their car that adds zero to little power, but they sit there and scrutinize all day spending a few hundred bucks on a quality tune that adds significant amounts of power. And then you get the idiots who slap the parts on their car, have driveability issues like crazy, and still hold off on getting a tune to make it run right because they are still waiting to afford more of those dream parts they saw online. Met a dude at a car show this past weekend with a LSJ that had a 3" intake and a catless exhaust that didn't think he needed a tune for either of them. He told me that his check engine light was only because of his cat code and that he didn't care.

I plugged in and showed him that he was idling 20+% lean (despite being catless) and that he had codes not only for cat performance, but also for MAF related codes. He seemed unphased by it like I wasn't speaking English. At that point I don't care who he chooses to get a tune from, but I just couldn't understand how that could be laid out in front of you and a tune isn't even a priority. The only reason I even looked at his car for him was because I tuned his friends and his own friends were worried that he was going to damage his car the way he was treating it.

Dumbest attitude ever: "Nah, Imma just wait til I blow up the motor I gots and then get me one of those newer ones."
    Last edited by PSYKOSTEVO; 06-02-2015 at 07:21 PM.

I am dropping rail pressure on my 416ci supercharged application (C7). How do I keep it from dropping pressure? I can't run the car over 4000 or 4500 RPMs or I lose control of fueling.

Need some advice, if gmtech or codename or someone wants me to email the tune/logs I can.....

416ci
    LT4 (Z06) HPFP with lash cap
    LT4 fuel injectors
    E85, no meth (actually E76)
    ECS 1500 supercharger, should be around 10psi at 6800 RPMs

rail pressure is commanded until I go into PE/boost/>1.0 g/cyl, etc it goes from about 12 straight to 5, 4, 3 (commanding 15).
    Running 12 degrees of spark, not sure where to put SOI under load, it will pull timing, etc.

I am running Z06 injector data but stock HPFP data (Z06 data makes the pump inop even at idle, pulse parameters are very wrong).

I'm at a loss and don't want to pop this motor.