Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Need to Clear My Conscience About This.

Can you tell me if these are easily replaced when the engine is in the car? Right now the engine is out and I can't find the Bosch ones listed above in any store around here, they can't even cross reference them. If I decide to go this route and replace them, it seems you should replace both, right? I don't want to delay getting the engine in because of these unless ...

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the install is very easy now. buy a set of harness adapters and two sensors and then your tuner of choice can tune the sensors in with the correct data. make sure you just buy the sensor and harnesses as the gm stage kit doesn't run as good as a factory modified file.
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/CED-...51367C690.aspx
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 05-10-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I was just told the engine is in!! And it runs!! (He said "just for a little bit").

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    the install is very easy now. buy a set of harness adapters and two sensors and then your tuner of choice can tune the sensors in with the correct data. make sure you just buy the sensor and harnesses as the gm stage kit doesn't run as good as a factory modified file.
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/CED-...51367C690.aspx
    I have ordered these today and since the engine is in I guess I will install them with the engine in the car. After I get a different tune to put in it I will post an update. What a trip and it isn't over yet.

Thanks. That is what I suspected because the ECU wouldn't understand the readings from them.

Advanced Tuner
    So, what I have gotten from this thread, aside from some great tuning tips (and recognition of some things I am not doing correctly is that we need to watch out for each other.

One thing I can say to David is from this point on, have the customer set up their scanner and have them send several stock logs to make sure that they are doing two things: logging the appropriate metrics, and have the ability to send quality logs.

One thing I can say to this community as a whole, thank you. Thanks for being open, brutally honest when needed, and always in it to help people out. Especially the vets like John, Mike, Bill, and CSSOB (forgetting your name).

Another thing I can say to TBSteck, I am glad your engine is running. I hope you find a reputable tuner, I hope this engine holds up, and I hope to see you become more active in our community, you have a nice presence about you and an eagerness to learn, which I respect.

As for my original post, I also fell victim to browsing the tune and not looking into the tune enough. I have revamped the way I do my own tuning, and of course I don't tune too many other people, but the changes will apply to when I tune them, too.

Overall, I think this thread turned out to be quite positive, even though it had some hairy times.

Potential Tuner
    Wow, very interesting to read.

Advanced Tuner
    If you guys liked this thread, you might like this other one too...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...d-Config-Files

I'm trying to explain something that I don't think anyone else has figured out. So far I think it's either over people's heads or they don't realize how important the little trick is for all of us HPTuners users. That thread directly relates to this thread because it's all about WHAT to log and WHAT to look at. I really believe, which David here has shown, that the majority of guys using this software aren't logging properly. It's hard to know what to log, and it's damn near impossible for someone starting out with logging or tuning to know what to look at. Being able to give a remote tune customer two little config files and have him have every single PID being logged and shown properly in your scanner and his, to me is HUGE. I'm kind of wondering why others aren't getting what I'm trying to explain. Oh well. All I can do is try to pass what I've learned along. It's up to others to see if it's valuable to them or not. Enjoy!

Potential Tuner
    When my tuner sends me his config file I'll make sure to ask him for a copy of his "VCM Scanner.cfg" file as well.

It's not necessary to have his config. You can't be sure he is looking at correct information. What is important is that you're logging the correct parameters so that you see what's going on. Wearing someone else's glasses doesn't help if the lenses are painted black.

i verified what i wanted by monitoring the primary table values. if something i wanted wasn't there i didnt tune. then i just continue using my own config. because the data values asked for are verified present in the scan file available sensor/pid list.

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    If you guys liked this thread, you might like this other one too...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...d-Config-Files

I'm trying to explain something that I don't think anyone else has figured out. So far I think it's either over people's heads or they don't realize how important the little trick is for all of us HPTuners users. That thread directly relates to this thread because it's all about WHAT to log and WHAT to look at. I really believe, which David here has shown, that the majority of guys using this software aren't logging properly. It's hard to know what to log, and it's damn near impossible for someone starting out with logging or tuning to know what to look at. Being able to give a remote tune customer two little config files and have him have every single PID being logged and shown properly in your scanner and his, to me is HUGE. I'm kind of wondering why others aren't getting what I'm trying to explain. Oh well. All I can do is try to pass what I've learned along. It's up to others to see if it's valuable to them or not. Enjoy!
    It seems like it would be nice to also have the "VCM Editor.cfg" file too. It appears it controls the size and position of the display so they fit on the screen nice. If I'm correct then it would save a lot of time making it fit on the screen correctly. Thanks again for everything you have done so far.

I'm just about ready to put in my 1st tune that I made up "with a extremely lot of help from my friends" and take it out for my 1st tip toe drive. This is scary but you have to get on that horse someday. I'll let you know.

Verify your config, logs, and fueling at idle and putting around. Not you specifically, but idk why people think they need to wot to see if everything is working. Good luck!

Having trouble with the same computer seeing the VCM, I'm getting an error about "can't find VCM" or something like that. I'm download today's file and installing it right now. let's see if that helps.

Updated the software and the problem went away. Here is my first log, car missed a little so I'm a little gun shy, needless to say. The car really want to go but I refrained in pushing it down and going going gone. Soon .... Would someone mind looking at this log and see if the engine looks OK to go a little further then a mile away from home!
    Thanks guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    I have taken this from this thread.

If you need help, ask. If those who ask for help are ignored, you get lead down a road of not so good idea's. I am no where near the level of a couple people in here, but not a stranger. This is also why I have also asked for help a few times from people as something wasn't making sense and was seeking help and got it.

John can attest to the bullshit with PWerks and the shit show of a tune, or cars that get sent out as done by Dave. I am currently dealing with one from there, and most likely another. Just gone down with an IRL from there as well.

So it is not just the little guys. It is also the more well know "shops" {i use that loosely} that do ass-hattery as a daily occurrence as well. Also why I do not remote tune either.

ASK QUESTIONS AND QUESTION EVERYTHING
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    You should take it easy until you have your fuel trims dialed in. Right around the 8:40 mark, you're log shows 22-23psi with fuel starting off lean then going rich and your timing is still extremely low. Later in the log (11:56) it is really rich with high boost ~22psi and very low timing. That's a quick glance I took and I am by no means a seasoned veteran like GMTech, Bill, Mike or CSSOB so I could be wrong but if it were mine, I be going easy on it for a day or two, work on getting the trims dialed in and then start working on the tune a bit.
    Last edited by JimmyS; 05-18-2015 at 04:26 PM.

I'll take a peak when I get home tonight. But, sounds like your MAF is pretty far off from what JimmyS says. I completely agree be conservative until everything is dialed in. I turned my boost down to 9psi when I was originally experimenting until the car was dialed. No shame in low boost while getting it set up. Rather have lower power and an engine in one piece until I could safely run 23psi.

MS- Main Spark
    OS- Optimum Spark (under Trq Management section)
    Just in case Bills post was a little on the short hand side. you just bought a motor I just want to make sure your getting all the information at full quality.

As for myself im looking into a different ecu, I wont have time to look at any files until later this week. Bill and the others will keep you on the right path.