Thread: 3.7 mustang

Tuner in Training

3.7 mustang

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone has done anything with the 3.7's yet. I'm planning on getting the software the beginning of the year. I have never tuned anything before but have been researching a lot. I plan on gaining experience on the car in n/a form before I undergo a turbo tune. Is there anyway to tune each cylinder? I'm eventually wanting to get to the point of adjusting the afr per cylinder since many turbo 3.7s go pop due to what seems to me like detonation problems occuring in one or two of the cylinders.
    Last edited by dubau2; 04-10-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Yes... full bolt ons plus a Procharger here. Just finished the install last night on the charger, it hauls... lol And yes, you get 6 fuel imbalance tables in the tune, one per cylinder
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    That's pretty cool MMGT1. Are you tuned using HPTuners as well?

Senior Tuner
    Yes, using HP Tuners. Its a friends car, I'm just tuning it. He had a hand held on it originally but the tune was just choppy for lack of a better term. I was able to get a great driving car out of it with BBK TB, ported intake, Steeda CAI, shorty headers and full exhaust so he decided to go the mile and got the P1SC from Pro. Spent Saturday and Sunday installing the charger and some tuning last night and today. Don't know if he plans to dyno or not, but I'd put him a solid 500hp in this thing... in a 3.7, wild....lol
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    That's good to hear HPTuners is doing pretty good with the new 3.7. His car is going to hurt some feelings lol. I've been playing with my 2012 3.7. I've been running a 75 shot on mine with no tune for awhile. Finally decided to borrow my friends HPTuners and get some Ford credits. Tuning is new to me and apparently the Ford stuff is much more intricate than the GM stuff so I'm on my own around here in southeast Texas.

Senior Tuner
    It is a lot of work. But, being your own, you'll love it. So much to do it is not a quick tune and your done. There are some good tuning ideas coming up and if you do a lot of searching, not just here, you can get what you need to get a good tune on one. Ford is brand new to me, and its been a climb getting into one.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    I expected a tough climb lol. Any good resources that you could point my way? I'm reading Greg Banish's book right now. Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    The stickies here are a darn good start too. Take some time and read through them. This may sound silly, but get a folder on your desktop and call it car tuning or something. Sub folder it and give it any titles you want. Trans tuning, fuel tuning, torque management tuning... and so on. When you read something you like, paste it to the folder it belongs in. Before you know it you will amass a excellent reference guide that contains the most current and up to date info available anywhere.
    For me, finding Eric's posts that were pre-HP Tuners on the Mustang forums got me off to an excellent start. First Ford I got into was a F150 with a 4.6 swap and his write up was exactly what we needed here. I haven't found much else for the 3.7 tuning though... basically applying the "Ford Logic" as best as we can figure out. Taking baby steps here ourselves with this
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Wow that's aweomse glad someone is doing more than just the sct tuning. I've been looking a lot on how to tune the 5.0 with the richer than normal afr of around .835 lambda. Is the 3.7 similar on the adjustments? How hard is it to scale the injectors for the larger ones on the fuel tables? This will be this first car I've ever tuned

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    The stickies here are a darn good start too. Take some time and read through them. This may sound silly, but get a folder on your desktop and call it car tuning or something. Sub folder it and give it any titles you want. Trans tuning, fuel tuning, torque management tuning... and so on. When you read something you like, paste it to the folder it belongs in. Before you know it you will amass a excellent reference guide that contains the most current and up to date info available anywhere.
    For me, finding Eric's posts that were pre-HP Tuners on the Mustang forums got me off to an excellent start. First Ford I got into was a F150 with a 4.6 swap and his write up was exactly what we needed here. I haven't found much else for the 3.7 tuning though... basically applying the "Ford Logic" as best as we can figure out. Taking baby steps here ourselves with this

Advanced Tuner
    Tuned my wife's 2013 Roush RS using HPT. Runs very hard for a V6. Shorties and O/R X with a 3.55 gear. 87 octane.

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate the help MMGT1! It's cool to see more people messing with HPTuners on the Ford stuff.