Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fgt bang for buck

Fgt bang for buck

Ok lads i wanted to share something on the small end of the spectrum in regards to a very common vehicle and mod path, the old FG XR6T and small outlay for now a good result.
    Yeh it might not be a record setting effort but its practical and now has a slip to back up what we predicted at the finish up of tuning on this particular car.

So first thing is everyone wants performance and small outlay, very typically these DONT go hand in hand but even for today's standards this is not bad

2009 FG XR6T with ZF auto

PARTS LIST

FG F6 injectors 42 lb
    PIPE KIT ( herrods )
    100cpi metal cat
    AIR BOX MOD
    K&N PANEL FILTER
    Walbro 255ltr intank
    HP TUNE
    98 fuel

that was all the hardware that was attached to performance but this vehicle had a major in house service,zf cooler kit,drag et's to get traction but that's about it.

First up we spent quite a long time custom tuning this car to get a best mix of outright rwkw/average power/repeatability..... Sounds funny but you can mix it up to a nice balance

So it only rolled up 292rwkw with a bunch of stock parts and the tiny cooler always being the achillies heel at this point, but today after a quick check up on thursday it went out and popped off an 11.90 on its first run at 25 degrees ambient and then completed a bunch of 12.05/8/9's all at 114/115mph

I suppose iam quite happy to share this small achievement with the customer as i feel i put alot of effort into the cars we did and hopefully the passion shows in the results, these hard parts are easily accessible to anyone and with correct tuning a similar result can be had for you to.

Happy to chat about anything to help take your FGT into an 11 second street driven beast

FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Potential Tuner
    Congrats Jet. Nice effort, looks to be a little left in the pb aswell with 1.7 60ft.

Tuner
    Great work with so little done.

Yeh the bloke is still fairly new to racing but its all for fun but i feel it does have a few more tenths to shave off, something like a 1.6-1.65 60 and hopefully net a 11.70-11.80 but i think that might need the moon and the stars to align to pull it off
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

What kind of car is that on a left?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

A VF R8 so in your country its the new Pontiac G8 equivalent..... Has the LS3 in it

America sucks, we can never have cool cars.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Kind of agree,wouldn't live in America ever. We feel very lucky as Australians to have what we do

Advanced Tuner
    Nice work Jet with a great result on minimal changes.

Lambda 0.82 is great for power and I found on the BAs that if you make head towards 0.84 at redline then they pull really hard is this the same with the FGs?

With this intercooler did you have to alter the spark AIT correction or was the FG table OK.

Daz an oldie but a goodie is exactly what you mentioned, a BA loves to go lean up top and you can "safely" do it ( within reason )

Same for the FG...... The IAT scale ford have used is really good and iirc we only "tweaked" it but because we know its going to be raced that the balance of safety vs outright HP needs to be on the safety side so this is always something to consider

Advanced Tuner
    I've just been told not sure whether it's Myth/Truth but once you go past factory stock boost pressure on the FG's it blows the plastic plenum out?

Is this true or just B/s?

Plastic plenum ? Plz explain lol

FG N/A have a plastic style intake runner plenum and I've never heard of anyone boosting a FG N/A yet

FG XR6T have a very thing pipe tract ( hot and cold side and T/B joiner ) so this is why a pipe kit is apart of a stage 1 pack because the pipes are just crap

Seen many turbo stock pipes split like a banana even on stock boost

The FG turbo lower intake runner ( plenum ) is cast alloy

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry about that, was just working off what I was told & haven't got that far yet... But looked into it all today, the best price intake muffler delete was $320 without upgrading intercooler?
    But stock ford 42Lb injectors where are they best served?

Advanced Tuner
    Op is still an FGT
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Notice we did NOT remove the intake muffler cone ? There's a reason .......

OP is always a FGT lukas so let's never forget it

Hey guys time for an update

Had the car back after getting a new to the market "JONNY TIG" stepped cooler and turbo side air box being the only mods from the initial list
    ( if anyone's keen on jonnys stuff please ask away ) as far as we know this is the BIGGEST and lightest stepped 100% no cut cooler for fg on the market and the euro spec tube and fin core is the best quality

Had no luxury of a overlay dyno graphs ( which sucks big ones ) but i know it will be at the track again soon and that should tell the real story as we all know

Anyway the customer wanted a particular style of boost delivery and he got what he wanted as we aim to please

Ull have to take my word for it but the gains are most definitely throughout the whole rev range and feels amazing on the street and id be upset if this doesn't go a 11.6 @ 118-9 mph, time will tell

http://youtu.be/FTztxh-RSHQ
    Last edited by JETURBO; 07-23-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    As usual JET nice work and great post.

Very interesting Jet. I would love to have know if there is a difference between stepped and non stepped intercoolers and as you worked with JONNY TIG on this you might be able to contradict what Plazmaman says:

"We tested a stepped version of this cooler but testing proved that the area that was stepped actually did not flow any air due to its narrow design. With and without the stepped section the cooler made the same power. BE AWARE OF STEPPED INTERCOOLERS , THEY DO NOT PERFORM AS DESCRIBED"
    See: https://www.plazmaman.com/shop_itemd...id=349&cate=63

And this FUD put me off them but I keep hearing so many success stories so I suspect Plazmaman is pushing its own product.

Your views would be greatly appreciated.

Tuner
    I have seen dyno sheets posted showing the stepped cooler and a plazmamman cooler
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

My view's may very well not be facts hahaha iam no airflow engineer but had very good lengthy discussions with a coupla smart people over the years, jonny is a wealth of knowledge and has been doing custom intercooler work for a long time.

What i do know regarding the stepped saga is this..... Kev at processwest is no piss in the wind kind of bloke and i doubt he would of desinged a product with zero gain's or just for looks .... But who knows

I've heard the top section if the PW unit has very little flow or cooling aspects but i think these "rumours" might be from companys/people with their own agendas, that being said this unit is different to the PW style and from what I understand for good reason

The pipe entry/exit is not just "plonked" there its been angled and thoughtfully set for top end direction
    The top upright sections are angled to support this direction
    The top thinner section is actually a different ( iirc ) core dedicated for the expected flow up there
    The whole unit has been air speed selected so the top is used and to a good degree

Other than this and the no cut feature and the biggest on the market and the lightest i got nothing but a solid prase for jon

We spoke at length about this and his other cooler kits and how he just won't cut costs of using cheaper cores from the same place all the big companys buy them from because he wants to stand out as a genuine premium product and i fully support someone who does go the whole 9 yards and backs their product.

Now iam no way biased and have trade pricing through all the leading cooler manufacturers so i could care less but i feel jonnys stuff is exceptional and his pipe work/welding is to die for

All hand done, no machine stuff , anything can be tweaked to your requirements as every kit is made by hand for the end user, that's all i know and it worked flawlessly on the dyno and yes i put it through it's paces and i know when some of the "other" brands start to struggle and this didn't even show an inclination of what i can make a car see if u want to of course

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Huddo View Post
    I have seen dyno sheets posted showing the stepped cooler and a plazmamman cooler
    Want to share any info?