Thread: max torque on 6T70?

max torque on 6T70?

Does anybody know the maximum amount of torque a stock 6t70 can handle?
    On the Internet it says 280, and some say 312, etc...
    I want to tune a 75 or 100 shot if possible
    on the Malibu forum I've seen people do 30, 50 shot without tuning but I want to take advantage of the fact I can
    sock internals 2015 malibu
    thanks
    6+3 = 9 but so does 5+4. The way you do things isn't always the only way to do them. Respect other people’s way of thinking

Trans is rated 315 hp/280 lb-ft by GM. There's a professional tuner called "Trifecta" that believes this is pretty conservative. They have 2.0T tunes that push as high as 330 hp/330 lb-ft and claim it's safe. The guy that wrote the tune owns a Malibu turbo, so he's putting his money where his mouth is.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Don't believe a damn thing trifecta has to say if ever seen one of these tunes from any car there a joke for a tune you pay for. Anyway the ford version is in the new style sho twin turbo v6 setup same trans just a ford spin on it and a lot of them are pushing the cars into the low 12s high 11s on tuned transmissions. I build for a living the GM version has some more issues mostly tcm related but have seen some bearing failures in them but never any broken planets or bad hard part damage. They are fairly strong but heat can kill them quick. The tcm inside the trans compared to ford outside is a down fall of the GM version. Just don't get crazy throwing a lot of pressure at it as seen them blow the snap rings from the drums when it sets a code sets high line pressure and people just keep driving them. What your asking of it should be fine with some mild tuning the sho is pushing them a lot harder then that.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    I ran the Trifecta 2.0 Malibu tune for 30k miles before I got into HP. I had no issues. Pretty potent tune. Just wanted to do my own tuning. Great tune if you want to just buy a tune and not have to mess with anything. Highly recommended.

So they got one right. I have tuned around 20+ 2.0t in camaros/ats/regal and others and none of them take the same settings. They don't take to a canned tune at all and why the diablo sport hand helds were blowing up 2013-14 ats left and right. Trifecta tune is a joke I have a few on file that I pulled from cars after they put a new motor in them and needed the tune fixed. They are actually worse then zzp which is really bad in their own way. Don't recommend what you don't know just because it worked with one customer doesn't make up for all the other cars they blew up or customers they abandoned after couldn't get the car right. I fixed a lot of cars for free due to that company and now they do it with the cts v sport another hack job that eats spark plugs as some cars record 9 degrees of kr and trifecta tells them its ok and normal. Fact is you got lucky you didn't have any issues as most do. If you have looked at the tune and added to what they did and think its ok your worse off then you think and have no clue how to tune a 2.0t
    Im not sure what you consider potent but got a 9 speed Malibu running in the low 13s high 12s in winter @109. The best trifecta tuned ats I ever saw posted was in the 13s @100-102 mph most guys that tune on there own stuff hit that easy or even 104 mph. I have camaros down pipe only and tune running mid 12s add meth 12 flat. Last 2.0t on a dyno made 368whp on the stock turbo 2017 camaro with a few bolt ons on 93 that one does have a front mount on it. Most of these canned tunes are much faster just feel like it because they disable the tm make it shift harder and over boost it in the mid range make a lot of torque then the manifold temp sky rockets it gets kr pulls timing and falls flat on its face by the 1/8 mile. they feel punchy as hell but don't run well and most will get a piston in due time.
    Last edited by lt1z350; 08-24-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    You sound quite experienced with 2.0 LTG tuning. I'm starting from scratch on my 13 malibu . Got any tips on where to start with spark advance, colder plugs, cam timing, boost ,fuel, shift timing, rev limit, etc.? I have an AEM-X series wideband , new MPVI2, and have an external trans cooler. I have been running NGK 6510 plugs. Always 93 octane. Look forward to your response.
    Last edited by DGS; 08-26-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    "If you have looked at the tune and added to what they did and think its ok your worse off then you think and have no clue how to tune a 2.0t". Curious how you looked at a locked tune? Trifecta locks their tune. HP will not read it. I starting from scratch, not adding to any tune. I look forward to your reply.

Trifecta uses efilive and puts a lock on it but I know of the tuner and he is a hack so you wouldn?t want to use that stuff anyway. I have had to fix a few of their tunes/bnr in the past and seen two recent logs from a pair of ats and they are stupid lean 13.5 and have tons of kr. I had one guy pull a plug and it?s covered in piston. Pm me directly and will give you my email and can talk. Like to get a Malibu tuned and on the Malibu forums and I do a lot of ats and camaros now for guys.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DGS View Post
    You sound quite experienced with 2.0 LTG tuning. I'm starting from scratch on my 13 malibu . Got any tips on where to start with spark advance, colder plugs, cam timing, boost ,fuel, shift timing, rev limit, etc.? I have an AEM-X series wideband , new MPVI2, and have an external trans cooler. I have been running NGK 6510 plugs. Always 93 octane. Look forward to your response.
    Ask him what happened to his self-tuned big turbo ATS then see if you think he's still experienced. All I see is a bunch of trash talking all the big tuners in this space.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by david78 View Post
    Does anybody know the maximum amount of torque a stock 6t70 can handle?
    On the Internet it says 280, and some say 312, etc...
    I want to tune a 75 or 100 shot if possible
    on the Malibu forum I've seen people do 30, 50 shot without tuning but I want to take advantage of the fact I can
    sock internals 2015 malibu
    thanks
    To answer the OP's question, there are supercharged 3.6L SRXes out there with superchargers on them with the 6T70, they hold up well. It's a stout transmission and can be run well in excess of its torque specs so long as the tuning is responsible, e.g. don't try to remove torque management, etc.

Yea it blew up so what. Broke a rod at over 450 whp on a big turbo setup and car ran well into the 11s. Now got similar setups with forged internals that hold up well. So what?s your point?

Next time a get a bone stock Ford Fusion sport in with a snapped shaft or 3.6 Chevy suv that comes in and they do pretty often with snapped input or blown up planets I?ll post the pictures up on here. These are stock vehicle as we verify the tune isn?t touched as many have warranties on them.
    Here?s what this jackass tunepro knows. Told me the cat vpsort has a 450 torque rating limit in the tcm which is not able to be tuned. Now there are cars making well into the 550whp range and no one has touched a tcm and yes they hold wot. I did it on mine got the car to run low 11s tune only well over this 450 limit to get a car to run 124 mph in the quarter mile that weighs 4k lbs. my current bolt on 17 zl1 is over 750whp on a few bolt ons. But I have no clue what I?m doing.

Potential Tuner

Need Help Camaro 2016 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    So they got one right. I have tuned around 20+ 2.0t in camaros/ats/regal and others and none of them take the same settings. They don't take to a canned tune at all and why the diablo sport hand helds were blowing up 2013-14 ats left and right. Trifecta tune is a joke I have a few on file that I pulled from cars after they put a new motor in them and needed the tune fixed. They are actually worse then zzp which is really bad in their own way. Don't recommend what you don't know just because it worked with one customer doesn't make up for all the other cars they blew up or customers they abandoned after couldn't get the car right. I fixed a lot of cars for free due to that company and now they do it with the cts v sport another hack job that eats spark plugs as some cars record 9 degrees of kr and trifecta tells them its ok and normal. Fact is you got lucky you didn't have any issues as most do. If you have looked at the tune and added to what they did and think its ok your worse off then you think and have no clue how to tune a 2.0t
    Im not sure what you consider potent but got a 9 speed Malibu running in the low 13s high 12s in winter @109. The best trifecta tuned ats I ever saw posted was in the 13s @100-102 mph most guys that tune on there own stuff hit that easy or even 104 mph. I have camaros down pipe only and tune running mid 12s add meth 12 flat. Last 2.0t on a dyno made 368whp on the stock turbo 2017 camaro with a few bolt ons on 93 that one does have a front mount on it. Most of these canned tunes are much faster just feel like it because they disable the tm make it shift harder and over boost it in the mid range make a lot of torque then the manifold temp sky rockets it gets kr pulls timing and falls flat on its face by the 1/8 mile. they feel punchy as hell but don't run well and most will get a piston in due time.
    Hello, if you could contact me on a tune ect... Sounds like you know what your doing on the 2.0, i am looking at gettin a zzp tune