Thread: VIN Relearn Problems E37

Potential Tuner

VIN Relearn Problems E37

Trying to reflash a used E37 PCM from a '10 Impala to accept a new OS and VIN for an '08 Cobalt SS. Have licenses for both the PCM I'm trying to reflash and the new VIN/OS combo. The OS loads fine on a complete rewrite, but I'm still getting the "vehicle not licensed" error when I try to reprogram the VIN. Went back to the original OS on the PCM and get an error that the BIN is not compatible with the OS (08 Cobalt vs. 10 Impala V6). I need a workaround and hoping I didn't just waste two credits on the Impala PCM.

Also tried to get a stock reflash based on the '08 Cobalt VIN at the dealer. Service tech said they can't do it without the actual car, which I don't have since this is going standalone. Where can I get a reflash on the PCM with it out of the car?

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Pretty sure the 08 Cobalt SS uses a Bosch ECU (E69 I believe) that is completely different than the E37. That ECU will never accept the Cobalt OS.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, but they are both E37s. The '08 Cobalt Sport is the 2.4L LE5. I can load the program and run the engine just fine on both ECUs. The problem is that the scanner still thinks its reading the source vehicle based on the VIN, which is why I need to change it.

Senior Tuner
    Oh, well then it isn't an SS. The SS is the 2.0L turbo using the E69.

Senior Tuner
    You may also run into a Throttle control issue by doing that. The TAC calibration will still be from the Impala and may not be compatible. Only the dealer, or similar update software, can program the TAC portion of the ECU.

Advanced Tuner
    Probably need to use Tis2Web and flash the correct OS in so you get the proper DBW/ETC calibration too (not readable, flash only so only Tis2Web flashes it). Also, make sure the OS' are compatible, you cant just flash whatever OS you choose into a Gen IV+ ECM as it can brick the ECM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned