Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Stand Alone 6L80E / 6L90E

Potential Tuner

Tuning Stand Alone 6L80E / 6L90E

I'm looking at buying a brand new 6L80E and putting it behind an LS1 with a PCS Interface.

https://www.powertraincontrolsolutio...on_Controller/

Does anybody know if there is a base tune I can load in to the trans that will work with this interface?

Advanced Tuner
    Without looking to deep into the controller you linked to.. I would assume after reading the basic description that the controller just needs rpm and some sort of load signal. So just use a manual transmission calibration for the ls1 and wire up that Trans controller.

Potential Tuner
    PST is mostly correct. The TCM needs that input to function properly. But, you need to have a calibration loaded in the 6Lxx integrated controller before you can use the PCS TCM-2650 to manage it. I'm trying to find out what the recommended calibration file for the 6L90's Tehcm controller is for a stand-alone system.
    My specific application isn't using an LS but is a fuel injected BBC. So I'm able to send the RPM and TPS to the Trans Controller, but it isn't clear if the onboard Tehcm inside the 6L90 (purchased out of a 2016 Chevy Express 2500 Van) that was backing up a 6.0L LS previously is right for my new application.

Anyone with information that could help in this area please jump in. I've been trying to work with tech support and I'm not getting anywhere fast. My whole system is installed, connected, and being tested. But, it seems to have some sort communication issues and won't upshift auto or manually out of 1st gear.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GrtWhite View Post
    PST is mostly correct. The TCM needs that input to function properly. But, you need to have a calibration loaded in the 6Lxx integrated controller before you can use the PCS TCM-2650 to manage it. I'm trying to find out what the recommended calibration file for the 6L90's Tehcm controller is for a stand-alone system.
    My specific application isn't using an LS but is a fuel injected BBC. So I'm able to send the RPM and TPS to the Trans Controller, but it isn't clear if the onboard Tehcm inside the 6L90 (purchased out of a 2016 Chevy Express 2500 Van) that was backing up a 6.0L LS previously is right for my new application.

Anyone with information that could help in this area please jump in. I've been trying to work with tech support and I'm not getting anywhere fast. My whole system is installed, connected, and being tested. But, it seems to have some sort communication issues and won't upshift auto or manually out of 1st gear.
    I'd be keen to give you a hand, I've looked into getting a couple of the 2650's myself for standalone behind ls1/2 instead of using the shit 4l60's.

I've done some conversions using the 6l80e and gotten tapshift to work.

My understanding with the 2650's is that there should be an obdi port that hptuners or efilive etc would use to reprogram the box, all the PCS device does is send the relevant torque signal to the trans based off tps/rpm. (there should also be software included to program the PCS so that you can configuure the trq figure send to the tcm?)

Advanced Tuner
    defintely interested in this. Especially as in Aus we dont have 4L80e around

Advanced Tuner
    i got a couple of the pcs controllers coming from the states. I have them going in to a vx(ls1) and vz clubsport(e40)

This is interesting as I was looking into options for a 6L80E behind a P01 very recently and never found anything inspiring confidence. You're right, 4L60s for the most part suck. Can't wait to see how it pans out for ya.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    I'd be keen to give you a hand, I've looked into getting a couple of the 2650's myself for standalone behind ls1/2 instead of using the shit 4l60's.

I've done some conversions using the 6l80e and gotten tapshift to work.

My understanding with the 2650's is that there should be an obdi port that hptuners or efilive etc would use to reprogram the box, all the PCS device does is send the relevant torque signal to the trans based off tps/rpm. (there should also be software included to program the PCS so that you can configuure the trq figure send to the tcm?)
    Tre-Cool
    You are correct. The vendor I've been working with loaded a 2010 Corvette calibration on my TECM. I had to pull it out and send it to them, they programmed it and sent it back. After it came back my trans started shifting automatically without any issues. It controls the shiting reasonably well with the limited input from the 2650. I have also been told it only gets that limited info like you said. It DOES have a DLC and you can access the TECM from there. If you can use an HP\Live system to program it that way, it will be my next stop.

I still can't get it to "Tap-Shift" from the PRNDL cable shifter that has the rocker switch on top, and it will not take ANY input from the Paddle Shifter that I purchased from PCS and installed. But, from looking at the display and everything the Paddle Shifter unit does, I can clearly see that it appears to work. You can put it into a mode that allows you to read data from the TECM to show you input. But, I can't get the TECM into "Manual" Mode or "Snow" Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by GrtWhite View Post
    Tre-Cool
    You are correct. The vendor I've been working with loaded a 2010 Corvette calibration on my TECM. I had to pull it out and send it to them, they programmed it and sent it back. After it came back my trans started shifting automatically without any issues. It controls the shiting reasonably well with the limited input from the 2650. I have also been told it only gets that limited info like you said. It DOES have a DLC and you can access the TECM from there. If you can use an HP\Live system to program it that way, it will be my next stop.

I still can't get it to "Tap-Shift" from the PRNDL cable shifter that has the rocker switch on top, and it will not take ANY input from the Paddle Shifter that I purchased from PCS and installed. But, from looking at the display and everything the Paddle Shifter unit does, I can clearly see that it appears to work. You can put it into a mode that allows you to read data from the TECM to show you input. But, I can't get the TECM into "Manual" Mode or "Snow" Mode.
    The PCS SFT5000 shifter sounds like the one you have with the TUTD on the top of the knob. The trans must be put into sport mode for the TUTD to function correctly.
    The PCS paddles also work the same as their shifter. They both need wired into the transmission harness correctly on pin #7 or into the PCS 6L harness.

Using HPTuners or EFIlive on the programmed 6L will not work. You must use the correct PCS software to program the transmission.
    -Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit

Tuner
    we did a 6l90 swap in a copo back in 2016 when i was with Suncoast transmisssion in Fwb,Fl . They should have access to the info you may need. we used a pcs platform for control. I still have some of the base files from that project, if anyone might be interested. I do know that PCS is hard to talk to, unless youve taken one of their classes.

Potential Tuner
    I just got off the phone with PCS....and they told me that you do in fact program the TCM in the trans with HP Tuners through the included DLC. You're not actually programming the PCS box.

Potential Tuner
    i got a couple of the pcs controllers coming from the states. I have them going in to a vx(ls1) and vz clubsport(e40)
    Did you end up getting the controllers I have a VY and wanting to go down this route.
    How did it all end up going?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm doing the first car at the moment, it's a VZ Clubsport with a 402 stroker and S475 turbo. It had a th400 in it, but the owner didn't like the high rpm on the freeway.

Anyway, to the install.. I have tapped into the following wires as they hit the ecu.

0-2v line from the pedal for the tps signal
    Centre High mounted stop lamp for brake signal
    rpm signal
    Speedo input from speed output on the tcm-2600 (not working yet, working on it)

I might tap into the map sensor to pull that info in, but I'm not sure if it'll make much difference, it just allows you to bring a bunch of sensors and shit in via 5 analog signals & more digital inputs (i.e brake light activation)

also has a bunch of output options you can program, hoping to use clutch fuel cut-off to activate spark cut on shifts.

Downsides so far.
    TCM is only showing 0.5NM of torque when car is running, no matter what rpm/gear. Waiting on clarification on how you calibrate/generate a torque signal to the box based off rpm/tps maybe even map. May have found it in the newer software. PIA since the new software can't monitor the trans & the old software only works on my win7 laptop.

Despite the outputs having 12v as an option instead of ground trigger, it only outputs 2.6v's, so i couldn't use it to turn on reverse lights or neutral/safety without relay's.

Software has options for pulling info via can-bus i.e GMLAN - I was hoping i could pull a bunch of sensors in from the original ecu, doesn't work.

Potential Tuner
    My post seems to have disappeared, I'll try again.

I purchased a tcm2650 from the states Last year to put a 4BD1T & 6L80 (ex 09 VE V8 Commodore) into a 105 series Landcruiser. It's been up and running for about 5 months now. I have TUTD, normal, PatternA and 5th lockout in all modes via shifter to d5.

I did a bit of stuffing around with inputs & outputs on the 2650 but only had 6 days to get it up & running inc tuning the 6L80.
    I'm sure you have worked out that you have to download the software for the pcs TCM2800 to be able to change anything in the 2650. Most of the settings & adjustments shown once you get in there should not be adjusted or altered as you cant use them to control the A6, and if you do change stuff it probably wont communicate with the A6 or do really weird stuff. The 2650 has less functions, the 2800 software shows everything a 2800 has, so be careful.
    There is a monitor mode in the pcs software but I found it doesnt work, but you can go online with the 2650 and do live changes if "firmware version & serial" is selected in the monitor window. Make sure you save the parameter you are working on before closing it in online mode. You can then use vcmscanner connected to the A6 to see changes you are making in the 2650 with the engine off ie. tps, TQ, pattern A select.

You must use HPTuners or equiv to do all the calibration stuff in the 6L, shift schedules, pressures, pattern selects, TUTD etc
    I'm running windoze10 and all seems well.

The TUTD is hardwired. I have a up/down switch on the stick and a cobbled together resistor network. It works fine. I have TUTD in D6 and shift to D5 to cancel.

The tps signal the 2650 is looking for is analogue 0 - 5v, .6 idle 4.9 wot, which you can change in the 2650. As far as I know you can use a MAP input but no both TPS & MAP. I haven't tried this but you would have to scale the TPS & TQ out tables based on MAP only to suit you application. The 2650 produces a TPS% out & a TQ Nm out to the A6 based solely on Analogue TPS position.

The 2650 only has 2 analogue input available, there are limitations with other inputs and outputs as well because it wasn't designed to control the tranny directly. The pcs tcm2800 has all the functions & ins & outs shown in the software, but no native built in software to talk to a mechatronic tranny. Check the block diagram of the tcm 2800 vs tcm2600.

You only need a TPS and RPM signal into the 2650 to make the 6L work. I think it will even work without RPM.

I do not have GMLAN or can signals to play with to test that side of it out. If you are running a GM ecm with that data on the CAN, could you just connect it to the can for the A6 and read all data with VCM? My understanding from the conversation I had with the vendor in the states is that CAN functions are very limited on the 2650.

You will definitely have problems if you try and use any of the outputs for anything other than what they already are, except for pwmout 9 as it is the diagnostic light out. pwmout2 is the TQ output table via CAN to A6, TQ out =tps%x10 ( the output pin on the 2650 will still output what ever is in the table as well as - voltage), pwmout3 is the TPS% output table via CAN to A6, pwmout6 I think is a scalar for tps & TQ tables maybe?, pwmout8 I have not played with as it faulted the TQ converter lockup when altered by 1 unit at 1 point.
    The other pwm tables if altered will result in no communication to A6. pmwout 5 & 6 have no functional output via the external pins, pwmout 1 & 7 are the reverse & NSS outputs, make sure they show "pwm vs current gear" if they are not working right. The only spare is pwmout 9 which I have connected to my old Check engine light as a diagnostic indicator.

All outputs are earth switched and yes reverse & NSS require relays.

My suggestion is to revert back to the cal that was in the 2650 when you received it. If TPS & rpm are connected properly you should see values change in vcm scanner. when I altered the outputs to other things I only had rpm showing.

Note A6 modes are changed at different tps% setpoints. 2650 as it comes has 92.9% max sent to A6. There are a couple of wot modes activated by changing this to a higher number. At 92.9 WOT mode in the A6 is never seen, when I went above that it tended to hang in those modes so didn't play with them any more.

I have a mechanical injection turbo diesel with 630Nm TQ@1600, 145Kw@ 2400, 3000 rpm redline, 570Nm TQ from 1300 to 2300. I obviously have no torque management on the engine, but left it all active in the A6. I have 15000Km on it, so far so good.

I'm using a switch to select calB via Digitalinput2. This gives me PatternA selection in the 6L, not in the 2650. I had to change pattn1 to pattn2 to get the A6 to see it. When I get some more time I'll play with the other pattern settings as pattn2 seems to toggle the input from the 2650, so two pushes of the button to get back into PatternA. The 2650 sees the button every time,tested with trusty diagnostic output pwm9.
    I'm also using 4WDLo input to correct my speedo in lowrange using digitalinput3. It would also work if you were swapping Tyre sizes regularly to keep the speedo accurate. It has no effect on the transmission.

I'll see if I can attach a tcm2800 start guide and block diagram.

No dought more questions than answers.

TCM2800_Quick_Start_Guide edited FOR TCM2650.pdfTCM2600-2800BlockDiagram.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Great info, I'm going to have another play with it tomorrow.

I'm really hoping i can use one of the outputs to work for the CFCO feature on the e40 to do a spark cut. otherwise im slightly concerned how long it will last with no spark cut on wot shifts.

Potential Tuner

Software has options for pulling info via can-bus i.e GMLAN - I was hoping i could pull a bunch of sensors in from the original ecu, doesn't work.
    I was bored and thinking about this GMLAN stuff so did a little digging.
    Which PCS harness do you have, the dedicated 6l50/80/90 to 2600 or the universal harness? How did you connect the VZ GMLAN to the 2650?
    I have the 6L harness.
    CAN2 is connected from 2650 to 6L to obd2 port.
    CAN1 is connected from 2650 to a PCS paddle shift connector, a 2 pin CAN BUS connector and a 4 pin PCS proprietary option connector. It looks like if you get a PCS paddle shifter it has to be the one of the GM mechatronic specific options as it's module as it's output hardwired to pin 7 of the 6L, not through the 2650, the display only is fed info by CAN1. Now CAN1 is set to talk in only PCS proprietary messages by default unless those options have been altered by your supplying vendor. So if you are trying to get or send GMLAN info on CAN1, ie the paddle shifter display, you will have to disable PCS messages and enable GMLAN options for CAN1 in the 2650. Doing this should relay T43/T76 messages on CAN1 as well as RECIEVE GMLAN inputs. Doing this MAY let you receive tps & rpm values via GMLAN instead of the other inputs.
    If it was me I'd load the original cal back into the 2650 and get your 6L seeing TPS an TQ with just your TPS input first. Use VCMscanner. If your 0-2v signal isn't doing it temporary wire any early GM TPS in so you know it works and go from there.
    I don't have GMLAN to play with, but in theory it should work as above depending on how you vendor or pcs has dealt with GMLAN inputs.
    Cheers
    Untitled2.png

Potential Tuner
    Great info, I'm going to have another play with it tomorrow.

I'm really hoping i can use one of the outputs to work for the CFCO feature on the e40 to do a spark cut. otherwise im slightly concerned how long it will last with no spark cut on wot shifts.
    Copy that. Get it running and shifting first. Use pwmout 9 - pin40. Just use a garden variety test light to check output - earth switched at 2650.

No wire or female in the MX123 connector , suggest pinching the Dig in 5 - pin 6 grey/white wire and use that unless you are using a universal harness. Instructions a on the PCS website somewhere as a download on how to service the 56 pin connector.

If I get time tomorrow I have a play with mine as I want to dump boost from the fuel compensator on shifts and have pwm9 hooked to old check eng light. I think "PWM vs Shift cut" may work.

Advanced Tuner
    got ecu seeing speed now, ended up using pin 17 (zero crossing output). had to increase the pulse output a great deal & modify the ecu settings.

downside is the dash cluster goes bonkers fast as soon as it starts rolling on the dyno, will play more tomorrow. going to tie in the vss low to a gnd pin.

still need to find the wire in the factory harness for the tapshift control that comes from clockspring then join that to tapshift wire. (I'm using stock vz steering wheel with tapshift buttons, did the same in my vy when i did e38/t43 install)

started tuning & did a few power runs to clear out the 8 month old e85 in the tank, made a nice & easy 550whp on 8psi for now.

Potential Tuner
    Good news then.

You may need a twisted pair on the speedo output to stop induced noise.

Did you get CFCO working? I tested pwmout9 set to pwm vs shift cut and it supplied an output as the A6 requested a shift.

Advanced Tuner
    not yet. im going to pull the ecu/harness from engine bay into passenger side to get away from turbo heat.

good news is I have dash speedo and ecu reading within a couple of km's along with tcm speed. I primarily use efilive to tune so i use that to do engine, then use hpt to log from the trans at the same time.

good to hear about the shift cut, I'll do the same once i find what wire activates the clutch control on the ecu. they have a clutch/start wire for starting but there is another pair of wires also on the clutch pedal. hopefully it uses the same wires as the NSS for clutch in movement, but i doubt it.