Thread: LC9 5.3L Engine help / questions

Potential Tuner

LC9 5.3L Engine help / questions

Hey guys I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you could help with.

I'm currently doing a project at my university where we are converting a 1949 Chevy Pickup into a Hybrid electric vehicle powered by an LC9 5.3L crate engine. We purchased a second engine to do testing on with the goal to manipulate the cylinder deactivation parameters to improve fuel economy.

The second LC9 came out of a 2012 Suburban. I Currently just have the stock engine harness and E38 ecu. I'm trying to run a OBD connector to the engine so I can communicate with the ecu with the VCM editor before running the engine . My problem is the Switched 12V that goes to the OBD connnector. I tested all the wires in the OBD connector with a multimeter and the 12V wire is not showing continuity with the positive battery terminal. I have a Ignition module part #25733005. I was thinking I could connect that to the engine harness and simply start the vehicle with just that, but there is no place to put this on the Engine harness so it must be running through the BCM.

So do you know if it's possibly to simply just use the stock engine harness and run the engine? If so could you give many any tips?

Also the engine will be run on a cart hooked up to a water brake dyno.

Tuner
    The OBD power is battery feed simply fed by a fuse.. cig ltr 20 amp fuse on that truck..

That ignition switch is for LOW current going to the bcm.. The circuit is fed with a 2amp fuse, you can't really use that unless you used relays.. For powering the ecu you'd just need to power up the battery feeds with B+ and the ign feeds with switched B+.. Not sure on the cranking since that is thru the BCM but your a few steps from there still..

Do you have schematics handy? Sounds like you don't.. Do these help?

Sounds like a fun project, for now I would ditch that switch and just use a normal switch for ignition power, and probably a push button in the future for starting..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Spammer....
    Last edited by schpenxel; 12-14-2023 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LS7Miata View Post
    Hey guys I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you could help with.

I'm currently doing a project at my university where we are converting a 1949 Chevy Pickup into a Hybrid electric vehicle powered by an LC9 5.3L crate engine. We purchased a second engine to do testing on with the goal to manipulate the cylinder deactivation parameters to improve fuel economy.

The second LC9 came out of a 2012 Suburban. I Currently just have the stock engine harness and E38 ecu. I'm trying to run a OBD connector to the engine so I can communicate with the ecu with the VCM editor before running the engine . My problem is the Switched 12V that goes to the OBD connnector. I tested all the wires in the OBD connector with a multimeter and the 12V wire is not showing continuity with the positive battery terminal. I have a Ignition module part #25733005. I was thinking I could connect that to the engine harness and simply start the vehicle with just that, but there is no place to put this on the Engine harness so it must be running through the BCM.

So do you know if it's possibly to simply just use the stock engine harness and run the engine? If so could you give many any tips?

Also the engine will be run on a cart hooked up to a water brake dyno.
    No objection to the level of your interest in economy I almost like it but do you understand the trade off of this system is it relies on small metal hydraulic lifters with generally short lifespans? It was a massive GM failure and is still eating up pockets to this day.
    Last edited by Guy With A Chevy; 12-11-2023 at 10:25 PM.

This is a thread from 2015 that got bumped back to the top by a spammer.

Spam should be gone now
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock