Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching strategies

Advanced Tuner

Switching strategies

Is there a process to changing strategies or is it like loading a tune? Does it require credits?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Is there a process to changing strategies or is it like loading a tune? Does it require credits?
    Not possible to do with HPT today. I was told it is in the works. Once you have changed the strategy then you have to remarry to the PCM as the VIN/OSID combo has changed meaning more credit expenditure.

Advanced Tuner
    So it's not possible at the moment to change strategies or it's not possible to do it without using credits?

Advanced Tuner
    So it's not possible at the moment to change strategies or it's not possible to do it without using credits?
    It's not possible for me to flash a Roush strategy onto my car using HPT for example. You can use other tools to change the strategy which will then require you to re-marry your HPT to the new VIN/OSID. If you change strategies on the same car, you have to re-license.

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    It's not possible for me to flash a Roush strategy onto my car using HPT for example. You can use other tools to change the strategy which will then require you to re-marry your HPT to the new VIN/OSID. If you change strategies on the same car, you have to re-license.
    I tested this earlier with the beta and was able to change the strategy. Uses up a few credits, but I was able to do it.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    I've done it twice. Once with a boss that had track key and another time with a 13 gt. Took 6 credits for each.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    I tested this earlier with the beta and was able to change the strategy. Uses up a few credits, but I was able to do it.
    Is this the way it will always work? Or will it be tied to the VIN, so no credits are used?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Oh? It is a mis-understanding on my part then. The scenario I have mapped out is:

1. Download a Roush strategy from the tune repository
    2. Open the file in HPT, will require licensing the file to flash onto the receiving car
    3. Flash file onto the receiving car
    4. Pull file from receiving car and re-license

Credit usage:
    2 - initial marry to receving car
    2 - license the strategy to flash
    2 - re-license the receiving car post flash

$300 out of pocket.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Oh? It is a mis-understanding on my part then. The scenario I have mapped out is:

1. Download a Roush strategy from the tune repository
    2. Open the file in HPT, will require licensing the file to flash onto the receiving car
    3. Flash file onto the receiving car
    4. Pull file from receiving car and re-license

Credit usage:
    2 - initial marry to receving car
    2 - license the strategy to flash
    2 - re-license the receiving car post flash

$300 out of pocket.

So is this process going to be changed? Or is this the way it is supposed to be? It seems to me that if the VIN hasn't changed, there shouldn't be a need to use credits.

Do GM and Chrysler vehicles have strategies?

Advanced Tuner
    So is this process going to be changed? Or is this the way it is supposed to be? It seems to me that if the VIN hasn't changed, there shouldn't be a need to use credits.

Do GM and Chrysler vehicles have strategies?
    Good question.

Personally I would like to see if you license a PCM, it should be that way for life. This would require a new licensing model by HPT.

Bring it up to par with the competitor's product.

Advanced Tuner
    Bring this back from the dead!!!

I have enough credits to license the entire year for Mustang GT. My car is a 14, but has a 13 strategy from Roush. My question is, which year has the better(or more) strategies; 13 or 14?

I know some of the strategies are flaky, I just don't know which ones. I wish HPT would combine 13/14 as a single license, since there are instances where the strategies have crossed years.

Advanced Tuner
    No opinion on with strategies are the best?

Tuner in Training
    I agree it should be locked to the VIN like in our EFILive programmer. Gets awfully expensive quick trying to experiment with strategies that have minor differences.

BUMP anything new on this? have then updated to where you can use any strategy since vin has not changed

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowleen View Post
    BUMP anything new on this? have then updated to where you can use any strategy since vin has not changed
    This post is 3 years old so it's old info. You can switch strategies however it costs several credits (up to 6) just to switch to a new strategy because you have to license again and again before it's all done.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    This post is 3 years old so it's old info. You can switch strategies however it costs several credits (up to 6) just to switch to a new strategy because you have to license again and again before it's all done.
    yeah I was afraid of that. any info on how much ford charges to load a stock roush calibration.

Tuner in Training
    If you have access to an IDS tool you can load them via it and just pull the tune down after its loaded. Although it will change the vin in the ECU. The way HP does it they vin stays the same.

I have loaded a few different tunes onto my spare pcm that way just to see the differences.

badass good to know there are other options
    asking because if I get a car that was originally N/a and it gets boosted the hassle of trying to make that file a boost one would suck!

I really would recommend against the Roush OS. Ran terribly on my car.

FPDX runs great, but it's possible that a stock OS could run well too. I never tried.

Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    I really would recommend against the Roush OS. Ran terribly on my car.

FPDX runs great, but it's possible that a stock OS could run well too. I never tried.
    HMM as in all roush based files? and only reason I ask is because when ever I try and make a base file into a boost tune its way too much info to copy over since you CAN NOT use the compare feature to copy and paste since they are lways different startegys. every time I do this the car will create what I call a corruption and will start misfiring or some issue for no reason without fix until I delete the file completely and start over with a fresh one