Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanner update

no..I watch an entire table of variables...and I can switch back and forth between 8 tables....

teh gauge just gives me what is happening on 1 frame at a time
    teh histogram can give me all the frames at once...
    remember that a lot of tables(like VE and MAF) are not a 1 time shot..you need a bunch of data averaged to get results...
    stft's switsh back and forth..so how do you know when ltft's are learned from a gauge...but you can see that when teh average of all the frames from stft get close to 0...thats when you are learned about as good as its going to get....
    yes I can see when it knocks with a gauge...but my eyes can also see it in a histogram and see exactly what cylinder air I am at and what rpm are its happening at al at once..
    and I can always plot it vs VE or MAF and do a compare to A/F to see if its really knock or if I just have a lean spot causing knock.....

so many more things to see with the histograms and I can change them on teh fly as I drive..so I can change teh variables at any time....

and like I said...min/max/average/last/total counts....
    cant see all that with the gauges...

as you get more into tuning and get a lot of experience you will find that most of the time histograms will be better for tuning and you will use the gauges less than you think you need to now...
    not saying you will stop using them..you will just start to realize how powerful the histogras are and the graphing chart view are instead..

remember also with the histograms you can plot ANY variable against any function..so you can get a view of things in any way that you please

also I can filter out data any way that I want...
    my KR histo is using custom filtering of [sens.111]>0
    so it onlys shows a # when I get knock...filters out showing anything that is a 0.....so I see it very vividly when its happening...
    I also liek to use the table display so I can watch many things at once..plus the Pro(EIO) versions have analog outputs that I connect to an LED that comes on when I have knock..and the table display also shows a red color in the analog out trigger box...
    Last edited by S2H; 03-18-2006 at 02:14 AM.
    -Scott -

I just noticed that when I click to add a gauge...it never shows up where I initially click...
    I tried to add one and it didnt appear anywhere in the field of view....

I just noticed it while goofing around right now

also noticed I cant make a horizontal meter/gauge...
    I know it would be nice to use that when I am doing dyno work...one of the few times I am looking at gauges...
    -Scott -

tech, 99% of the time when I use vcm scanner, my display looks like this:

http://www.hptuners.com/pub/screensh...nner-keith.jpg

I can see easily when anything pegs using the chart display, and it also shows me the history of my current state of tune.

Also, you can click the histogram and just hit the 1-8 keys, or pg up/pg down to cycle through the histo's very fast..

But yea, its very easy to see exaclty what the car is doing with the chart display.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner
    i am with keith. that is how mine looks too. gauges are a waste of time. unless you are reviewing.
    98 Camaro, M6, HPTuners, heads and cam

It obviously comes down to person preference because you can see all of those same PIDs if your scanner was configured like this....

http://www.durhamcons.com/HPT/scannerconfig.gif

Granted, I don't regularly have my display like that. I just like the ease of glancing over to the gauges and seeing the max/min for a particular PID as well as "what is happening right now under these conditions." Just like everyone here, I don't tune based upon what I see in the gauges but I use them to monitor real time data. I pay very close attention to them when I'm driving a car with radical changes done to the engine. The chart display is too busy for me to keep up with when I'm driving so I've just always used the gauges.

BTW, I only have access to 2.1.0 via the downloads.

Oh, and soundengineer... I appreciate the input but the punctuation, spelling and lack of capital letters makes it very unappealing to read. Obviously, if it's a post directed at me, I'll read it. Otherwise, I'd be more inclinded to skip over it. Just some friendly advice.

Also, I think we need to get past what the histograms do. I never implied or said that I use the gauges soley to tune. ALL of my changes are made upon histogram data. Just like I said above, the histograms are the best thing since sliced bread.

It would be nice, IMO to have multiple scanner configurations for different aspects of tuning (ie: idle display, fueling, spark, etc.). I have one for idling. It isn't pretty but it does the job.
    Last edited by tech; 03-18-2006 at 02:05 PM.

tech, we are deploying 2.1.6 right now so it may take a day or so for it to show up on your customer login.

Quote Originally Posted by tech
    Oh, and soundengineer... I appreciate the input but the punctuation, spelling and lack of capital letters makes it very unappealing to read. Obviously, if it's a post directed at me, I'll read it. Otherwise, I'd be more inclinded to skip over it. Just some friendly advice.
    IF all you do is read teh ones that get an A in English class then you are missing a lot of good info....
    this is a forum...and my hands do a lot of typing on here...sometimes my hands are faster than my brain..hence forth the mispellings of simple words sometimes like "the" get spelled "teh"...
    and many times I dont proofread my own typing in an informal post...

Also, I think we need to get past what the histograms do. I never implied or said that I use the gauges soley to tune. ALL of my changes are made upon histogram data. Just like I said above, the histograms are the best thing since sliced bread.
    just meerly stating that many of us who tune more often do not use the gauges very often...its usually just in very specific cases..weve gotten to a point that colors on the histogram can tell a lot more data than teh gauges and teh graphing chart can tell us what led up to the issues at hand..where a gauge is here and now...cant see what was before it happened. Plus we can look at the table display and status bits to see whats going on and we dont like to make new gauges to see something...

It would be nice, IMO to have multiple scanner configurations for different aspects of tuning (ie: idle display, fueling, spark, etc.). I have one for idling. It isn't pretty but it does the job.
    most of us have multiple cnfigurations set up for diferent things..
    I have one for Idle/regular driving/dyno/A4 trany tuning...plus a few other specialty setup that I have made for specific cases

we want others to do the same and set up multiple configs to fit their own preferences...that way you can get the most out of the HPT software
    -Scott -

Tech, something that may help is the ability to change configs on the fly, while scanning.

You can have all your displays open in the places you like, and can switch between config files without having to stop the scanner. This will reload your dash dispaly, histogram, gauges, etc. etc.. so you can set up a config that helps you fine tune/observe idle, one that is for cruise, one for WOT, etc. etc..

Eh the gauges come in handy if i need to run to the autoparts store when i dont have the instrument cluster hooked up lol. Which happens every so often when im wiring/re-wiring something i've installed.
    Warning: User exhibits tendency to use offensive amount of smileys...
    2003 GMC Denali XL
    HPTuners MVPI Pro | LC-1 Wideband | 1 Bar Speed Density OS | MAF Delete | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Flex-A-Lite 282 E-Fans | Nelson Harness | K&N FIPK | SSBC Truck-Force 10 Calipers | Brembo OE Sized Cross-Drilled Discs | NGK TR55's

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    I just noticed that when I click to add a gauge...it never shows up where I initially click...
    I tried to add one and it didnt appear anywhere in the field of view....
    Ya, i've had this problem a few times. It's usually way on the bottom of the screen. Sometimes it is selected and you can modify the xy values to move it into the field of view. Other times, i have to close without saving (and hope I don't have a bunch created).
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Many of us are able to speak/type without considering punctuation, spelling and capital letters a burden. It was a friendly suggestion that you have become very defensive about. You're being pretty dense in this thread. Sounds like you are reading faster then you are typing.

I'll keep checking in this week for 2.1.6. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by tech; 03-18-2006 at 08:58 PM.

not being defensive...just though it was innaprpopriate to be in a thread...and wanted point out that I type this way...and its just how I am with typing
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training 39fordcorvette's Avatar

gauges

I like the gauge display for my 39 sence it dose't have any thing els in it, I could use. so my qustion is will they still work with a stand alone systum like my ls1 with TTI and 4l60 with the VATS turn off.

Way to bring up a three year old thread with a totally unrelated question.

Are you talking about trying to use the scanner dashboard as a real dashboard?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

I'm sorry if you think what I do is dum. I'm new to this tuning and heven't bought anything yet, and why buy this Hp if it dosen't work with a stand alone ls1 motor. I can try to find something els or just pay some one to flash my ecm. I realy don't have enought time to learn this anyway. you will know what I mean soon enough. but thanks for your input, it didn't help but thanks anyway.

So you have a car PC in your 39 and you're using the display in HPT for gauges. That is pretty cool! Or did I get you wrong?
    Always Support Our Troops!

My guages dont even work on the scanner but that could be framework related?............ not with the latest beta's anyway (XP).

Plus I have an alloytech engine, nothing great works in the scanner for me.

eg. No AFR, knock retard, fuel injector pulse etc etc etc. I got STFT and LTFT along with Throttle %, engine temp, intake temp, advance and maf....... but that bout it.
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 07-24-2009 at 03:13 AM.

no guages no noughting just stearing colmun out of astor van. I have a touch screen I was thinking about putting under dash as a slide out for moble pc with GPS and music. I do DJ work for car shows and have a FM tranmitter that will go in the 39. I use it to play oldies on rod runs for any body with fm radio fo about a mile or two. But what I realy need is to get in running and I thought the guages in HP might need the factory guages to work. I was think about buying HP to get it running, just go in and turn the VATS off and maybe it will run. I will worry about all that other stuff later. can't tune it if it don't run.

I'm still pretty new to the whole HPtuners world, but I would love to be able to "crop" my logs so that I could post parts of a scan rather then the whole thing when I ask for help or try and show someone something. If that is already possible someone please let me know how to do it!
    Ted/SkullV
    2005 Redline CTS-V