Thread: OBD Access Point WiFi Throughput?

Tuner in Training

OBD Access Point WiFi Throughput?

Can anyone tell me what sort of client to client data rate is realistic connecting through the OBDLink MX WiFi in AP mode?

The way I use TrackAddict now involves both my iPhone (where the app runs and records the video/data) and my iPad (where I transfer the data and review the video). To do this, I enable the WiFi Hotspot feature on the iPad and connect the iPhone as a client. The two devices negotiate an 802.11n connection and the WiFi data transfer between the two is quite fast.

I want to add an OBD device for throttle, speed and RPM data.

My question is about using the OBDLink MX WiFi in AP mode and connecting both the iPhone and iPad to it as clients. The specs indicate that it supports 802.11b/g and I am wondering what sort of real world throughput to expect between the two clients? The 802.11g can technically go up to 54Mbps but that is not often achieved.

Or am I just asking for trouble using the OBD device as the WiFi access point and would it be better to keep the iOS devices on their network and use Bluetooth for the OBD data?

Tuner in Training
    just to share info from the ScanTool forum:
    When we tested the OBDLink MX Wifi PID rate, we were able to get up to 80 PIDs a second. However this is subject to change and is dependent on vehicle, interference, and device used to connect.

The OBDLink MX wifi cannot connect to two devices at the same time.
    So my thought of using the OBD device as an Access Point and connecting both devices to its WiFi network sounds like it will not work.