Thread: Racerender3 gets very slow when video file is large

Potential Tuner

Racerender3 gets very slow when video file is large

Racerender3(64bits) performance is fine when video file is small but it makes PC very slow when video file is bigger than a limit, eg. 1 hour with about 3.9GB video. The program uses more than 2MB memory and makes the Laptop very slow. There is even no way to preview and Laptop stuck in loading the video. Maybe the program can be optimized to speed up the loading.

How to handle large video files?

That's not much information to work off of, and there should be no problem with large video files in RaceRender. They will obviously need some amount of system RAM, but to put some numbers to that, I just loaded a 1080p video file that was just over 4GB, and it only increased RaceRender's RAM use by about 150 MB. If you're getting 1 hour out of a 4GB file, then it may be 720p rather than 1080p, which may even use less RAM due to the smaller video frames.

I'd suspect that you're running your system out of RAM and causing it to use virtual memory, which can be extremely slow (especially with laptop hard drives). That could be caused by simply not having enough RAM in your system, by other applications and services consuming a large amount of your RAM, or if those aren't the case, then I'd speculate that something unique with the video file and/or system may be causing the operating system's decoder to have runaway RAM use (but we've never actually seen that happen, so it would be very rare).

Potential Tuner

Same Problem, On Android

I recently purchased Racerender and obtained current Trackaddict from Google Play, and am having somewhat the same problem.

Racerender is running on a Windows 7 machine with 32G RAM and i7. It's not underpowered. I've WiFi transferred several track videos successfully with no problems.

Trackaddict is on a Nexus 4 with Cyanogenmod 4.4.4. Everything from Google Play runs correctly and without flaw on this platform.

From a recent event I captured 2 sessions, both approx 20 - 25 minutes in 720p. OBDLink was enabled and functioning while on the grid, OBD and GPS status in Trackaddict read "green." I'd selected only a few OBD parameters: RPM, Relative Throttle, maybe one other.

After the event I reviewed both sessions on the Nexus 4. There was no OBD data being reported by any of the Trackaddict overlays.

I WiFi transferred Session 1 to Racerender. No OBD there either, and when I looked at the raw CSV file the OBD data was zeroed out, no data was actually captured.

Session 2 WiFi transfer breaks at about 1/2 way through, and it takes about 20-30 minutes to get there. I am monitoring the bandwidth use over WiFi, so I know exactly when the transfer fails and then does produces both a Trackaddict and Racerender failure message. I've tried several times now and the result is the same each time.

Where are the Trackaddict data and movie files stored on the Android 4.4.4 Nexus 4 file system? I've spent much time trying to locate them in the standard places and they aren't to be found. Yet I know they are there because I can view the complete session on the Nexus 4.

I may try to run Trackaddict on a Nexus 5, because it does have a slightly faster processor and may solve the OBD problem. But I'd like to solve data transfer problem first.

Where are the Android files stored?

I'd need to see the data file to better understand what may have actually happened there... That typically indicates that the OBD connection did not succeed, or no columns were selected, prior to the time of that recording.

As for WiFi transfer, most of those issues tend to be related to device or network conditions, particularly when there's signal congestion, heavy network traffic, or when near the range limit... In those cases, you're probably better served by the USB transfer method instead, which should be fast and solidly reliable.

Some guidance for that is displayed when you go to Share -> USB File Sharing, but I'll elaborate more here...

In order to access the TrackAddict files this way, you'll need to have them on either Android's "External" or "SD Card" storage spaces. The default "Internal" storage space is a good reliable place to store data, which is why it is the default, but Android generally does not allow that space to be accessed by other apps or via USB. So, to address that, the storage location for all new sessions can be changed in the "More Options..." screen, and any existing sessions can also be easily moved by opening them in the app and pressing the "Storage" button.

It's pretty simple to move it, and once you do that, you should be able to find the session's .csv and .mp4 files in the "Android/data/com.hptuners.trackaddict/files" folder when connected to your computer via USB. In some cases, two drives may appear (one for external and one for SD), and both will probably have that folder path, so you'll just need to make sure you're looking in the right one in order the find the files.