Thread: Track Map Background Image

Potential Tuner

Track Map Background Image

Hi, I just purchased the ultimate edition of the racerender to overlay GPS info on aerial video footage. However I need a map image of some sort to show up behind the track. And all i could find is a very basic background image import, it has a zoom function but it does not let me pan and image. Am I going about this the wrong way, is there some build-in function to add map to the track background?

Thanks.
    OC

It is possible to use RaceRender to include map background images, but it will of course rely on you adjusting things to get the size, proportions, and alignment matched up...

Using the background image function is one approach, and that image would then automatically match the zoom or rotation of the map when you are using the "Zoom on Vehicle Position" or "Rotate Map Based on Vehicle Heading" options. The background image importer gives you zoom and rotation options to help line things up, but it does rely on that image being centered to the middle of the map plot's coordinates. You would typically use an outside image editor to do that, which is presumably what you'd be using anyway when you're supplying RaceRender with this type of background image.

The other approach would be to bring the background image into RaceRender as its own display object, and place that behind/under the map plot display. You could then move and resize the background and map displays independently until they're aligned to your liking. Similar to the first approach, you can also uncheck the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" box to take control over the aspect ratio in case you need to stretch or squash either one to get it to match (in this case, be sure to first use the "Preview Setup" button to set the preview aspect ratio to match what you intend to render the output video in, typically 16:9).