Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduced Engine Power just for removing the speed limiter?

I'm having this problem on my 2016 Chevrolet SS. Whenever I start the car, I get the "engine power reduced" message. I just hit the clear button and it goes away. I bet this is the cause. I gotta let my tuner know about this.

Here's a quick cell phone video of exactly what it does. To those that have experienced this, seem familiar?

I wish I still had my hptuners. I had bought it in 2008 and sold it after I sold my G8. I'll be buying it again. This time I'm getting the pro version and plan on keeping it.

Speed limiter adjusted
    Don't max it out

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Yup, that fixed it. One thing I don't quite understand, my tuner said it was set at 318 mph in the factory tune and he didn't touch it. How is that possible? Unless he's mistaken, but he pulled up the stock tune file and showed me.

got the same sh** on some cars by only switching source from GMLAN to Cal...
    in stock cal values already maxed out
    does it help to reduce the maxed values a bit and also switch source to cal?

it's weird other cars using exactly the same file don't do it.

Spent about two hours trying to fix this today on a 2016 Camaro SS, then read this thread lol. Its always the simple shit lol

So your saying don't max out the table to 318 like we used to, Just go with something like 170 MPH

170 is fine

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Don't bite my head off if this was already addressed. If maxing out the speed limiter to 318 MPH, for the speed limiter, causes issues, then if other tables are set to the max, anywhere else in the computer, would that limit what we would be able to do, in terms of getting the most out of our vehicles? I have a 2015 Silverado with the 6.2L and have gone through every table and lowered everything below the max. If a table was not set to the max; I did not touch it.

Just ran into this for the first time on the wife's new-to-her 2017 Sierra. What a PITA!
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...

Potential Tuner
    Mine is set to 222 and its doing this. so ill try to set it back to 135 and see what it does..

I?ve tuned many Gen 5s, and never had this issue until today.
    2018 GMC Sierra 8 speed. Couldn?t figure out why Engine Power Reduced kept popping up. Drove me crazy!
    Thank god for the trusty forums. 🙏

Senior Tuner
    Some GEN 4's will do this too.. Like late model manual Chevy SS
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Some GEN 4's will do this too.. Like late model manual Chevy SS
    You got one of those curve balls too huh? Ha ha
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
    You got one of those curve balls too huh? Ha ha
    Yes.. Lots of dumb things like that.. Like don't change "this" on "these" even though "this" works on all the others.

I honestly don't know how anyone could be successful getting into this stuff.. All the little things to know and the only way to know them is to be beat up by some problem car with that particular issue at some point.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs