Thread: Having trouble changing VIN on new OS

Potential Tuner

Angry Having trouble changing VIN on new OS

Firstly, I used 2 credits to tune the factory OS on my 04 CTS-V. At the time, I was unaware that the OS on my car is kind of strange and also does not allow the PCM to read an input from a flex fuel sensor. After speaking with a tuner regarding the flex fuel sensor, he told me what OS he used and had success with. I pulled said tune from an 05 CTS-V from the repository on here, verified that it was the OS version I needed and used 2 credits so I could edit it and flash to my car.

I successfully flashed the new OS and was able to edit and update the calibration. My issue is that I have licensed my original tune with my VIN and then used credits for the new OS so I could flash it to my car. The issue is when I try to change the VIN on the new OS tune that I have flashed, it says unlicensed vehicle and prompts me with the option to use more credits even though it doesn't actually give me the option to use available credits. The funny thing is that now I have the tune on my car that has a different VIN and I am also unable to relink my damn VATS. I can open the Change VATS screen but when I try to edit the VIN # I am unable to type anything more than one digit. Needless to say I had to disable VATS in the calibration because I could drive my car otherwise.

Any info regarding why I cannot do what I am trying to do would be greatly appreciated because obviously I do not understand the licensing scheme for hptuners or something isn't right. I could have just unlocked the entire friggin model with 6 credits instead of wasting what I have.

Thanks,
    Kp

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like what you are trying to do is causing what HP Tuners considers a VIN/OS mismatch. This is kind of a gray area now since they announced 2.25 will allow you to license pcms that have a mismatch but I don't believe it will let you create a mismatch.

Are you using beta to do the vin swap? Going to need beta and do a write entire.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Sounds like what you are trying to do is causing what HP Tuners considers a VIN/OS mismatch. This is kind of a gray area now since they announced 2.25 will allow you to license pcms that have a mismatch but I don't believe it will let you create a mismatch.
    Correct.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    I was using the last version from the download link (2.24.1107) and I was able to do a write entire Road. Sooooo Bill, what is the correct way to run a different OS on a the PCM with the correct VIN than originally equipped? If I have my VIN changed by a different source what does that mean for credits? Am I going to be prompted for licensing again??

Potential Tuner
    Any updates on this?

If you license against a "Vehicle Type" + serial #, or VIN, or any other qualifier, and you change the VIN # of the vehicle to a different year/make/model, you will need to relicense.

If you license against a "Controller Type" + serial #, or VIN, or any other qualifier, and you change the VIN # of the vehicle to a different year/make/model, you will not need to relicense.

Currently, there is no way for a user to explicitly chose one or the other, the software chooses the most secure method of licensing for you.

The software DOES tell you if it's a "Vehicle Type" or a "Controller Type" license though, near the top of the licensing box.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Keith - I have an E40 ECM stability issue that I trying to sort out. It appears as though the ECM may be the culprit and I may have to swap it out. What is the best method to replace my ECM that would not force me to use 2 additional credits? I am currently running an '06 GMC Envoy 5.3 controller...should I get another '06 GMC Envoy/Trailblaizer/Equinox controller and simply write my data over to the replaced ECM? Any help to reduce $$$ spend and doing it right the first time is greatly appreciated.

You will have to license the new ECM.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    ouch. thanks keith

I purchased a remanufactured PCM to replace the bad one in my car; the new one doesn't have a VIN assigned to it, but the OS is an older version; Can I just assigned the VIN of my car to it and then reflash it with the current OS and Cal?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    If you license against a "Vehicle Type" + serial #, or VIN, or any other qualifier, and you change the VIN # of the vehicle to a different year/make/model, you will need to relicense.

If you license against a "Controller Type" + serial #, or VIN, or any other qualifier, and you change the VIN # of the vehicle to a different year/make/model, you will not need to relicense.

Currently, there is no way for a user to explicitly chose one or the other, the software chooses the most secure method of licensing for you.

The software DOES tell you if it's a "Vehicle Type" or a "Controller Type" license though, near the top of the licensing box.
    If this is true, isn't this just creating Vin/OS mismatch? Like putting a 2004 ctsv VIN on a 2005 ctsv OS?