Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To "Properly" Use Shared Config Files

Advanced Tuner

How To "Properly" Use Shared Config Files

(I put "Properly" in quotes because I'm waiting for Bill to tell me if what I figured out is actually the way the program and config files were written!)

Hi Guys! This is a second chapter from this old thread I made...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...NF-Config-File

So over the years I've shared and tried to use shared config files and it was always hit or miss. Often things didn't read correctly or not at all compared to how the config looked originally. A few laptops ago I was having problems re-installing my custom made HPT scanner settings from my old laptop to my new one. I started to mess around with the "config" files and learned something I'm not sure is common knowledge. If it IS obvious and already known by some of you, sorry I wasted your time!

So if you look in your HPTuners folder, you will see a couple subfolders named "Settings" and "VCM Scanner". Open "VCM Scanner" and it will have a subfolder named "Configs". This is the folder that usually holds the default Imperial and Metric config files. This is also most likely where you save your custom made config files to, although they CAN be saved anywhere. (important point for later) These config files are the ones that are shared on the forum, someone copies theirs, posts it online and somebody else downloads it and opens it in their HPT Scanner program. I'll post a screenshot here of me doing exactly that, I opened a log file and opened a different config file than I had my scanner set up for. Here's what it looks like...

As you can see, there are things missing and not quite reading correctly. Now here is the SAME log file, using the SAME config file, but also using the "Main" scanner program's config file. (I'll explain that shortly.) btw sorry I didn't take the screenshots in the same spot in the log. What's in the log isn't really important anyway...

Ok so here's the explanation... There are TWO different "config" files for the HPT Scanner program. I honestly have no idea why they would be named the same since it's kind of confusing because they do slightly different things. So go back to your HPTuner folder and look in the "Settings" folder. In there you will find actually three "config" files, "VCM Scanner", "VCM Editor" and "VCM Suite". "VCM Scanner" is the one that sets the configuration for THE WHOLE SCANNER PROGRAM. This is a file that is automatically updated whenever you make any changes to the scanner's settings. This is a universal config file that saves the settings for the font colors, font sizes, what's in the Table Display, Chart Display, Gauge Display, the size of the scanner window itself, how zoomed in you are, etc, etc. In other words, all of the custom tweaks you have done to your HPTuners Scanner program is saved in that config file.

So here is something important about that file. If you delete it, it will generate another "VCM Scanner" config file the next time you start up the scanner program. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! If you delete the config file you have in there and it makes another one when the program is started, IT WILL BE ALL DEFAULT SETTINGS. All that time you spent setting up your custom scanner will be gone. Which is why this is important to know, if you want to make sure you don't lose your custom scanner settings, or want to move those settings to another computer, you'll need to know about this file and back it up somewhere.

So here's what I do... I take that config file and copy it from the "Settings" folder and then paste it onto my desktop. I then rename it something else like "VCM Scanner LNF.cfg". Now it's backed up and saved. If you want to put it back in and use those settings, drag it into the "Settings" folder. Before you change the name back, remove the old config file from the folder. Then remove the "LNF" part of the file name SO IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME NAME AS THE DEFAULT CONFIG FILE. This is a file that HAS to be named "VCM Scanner.cfg" or the scanner program will not recognize it and use it.

Does that make sense? I know it's kind of confusing but I don't know how else to explain it. I'll actually send an email to Bill so he can check what I've said and see if it makes sense to him or if I explained it properly.

So here's my config files... SAVE YOURS before trying mine. First put this one in the "Settings" folder...

VCM Scanner.cfg

Open your HPT Scanner program and then go to "File", then "Open Config", then navigate to where you saved this file and open it...

12-10-12 LNF.cfg

Hopefully (lol) it should look like this...

Let me know if this is at all possible to follow. If it doesn't make sense, try re-reading every little step I wrote here. There are a lot of little details I've tried to make clear here. IF you figure this out and understand how it works, it WILL help make your scanner program easier to configure and return back to a previous setup. That is until the 2.25 beta is all up and running!
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 04-29-2015 at 01:10 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I thought I'd throw a couple more screen shots in here to show how awesome it is to set this scanner program up to meet your particular needs. And when it's set up a certain way, you can have that exact same setup in another computer if you want by doing the above config file moving.

This is the exact same log on two different computers using two different "main" scanner configs, but the SAME config files. (I lied. I just looked and the config files loaded in these screen shots are slightly different, but the differences don't really matter in this example.) You can see how if I shared this config file like has been the common practice on here for years, on one computer it would look totally different than on another. And depending on the scanner settings, the PID's may or may not even read properly or at all from one computer to the next. HTH's.

The way I have my scanner set up on the screen of my onboard PC in my Sky...

Which is very different than the chart display setup that I use on my laptop to do the actual reviewing of the logs and tuning...

Tuner
    Thanks John. I will study this.

Tuner
    One more ?. when setting the histogram configuration, what load would one use for say like boost or injector pulse. I see load in the sensors. I see it in torque management, or air load. thanks again.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the information John! Several months ago I had an issue with a new Surface Pro laptop that I bought myself to replace an older Asus laptop and had to copy my files from my old laptop to the new one to get things working again. My issue was with the VCM Editor. I have been using 2.25 since September and when I loaded HP Tuners on the new laptop, I wasn't able to open VCM Editor.

I got a message about the "index being out of range" so I emailed support. They needed an infolog so I connected to the car but could never get any farther than the opening screen because the same message kept popping up about the index. I couldn't connect to the car or use any of the functions including saving an infolog so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling HP Tuners on the new laptop 2 more times but kept getting the same message.

After comparing the differences between the files on my old laptop vs. the new one, I noticed that the file size of one of the files was different so I copied the files from my old laptop to the new one and it started working. I know this isn't the same as having configuration sharing issues but figured I would post it in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Thanks again

Advanced Tuner
    Thank You.. Thank You... I was just looking for a "universal LNF" if there is such a thing, scanner config file. After following the "Need to Clear My Conscience About This" thread it's quite obvious that being able to interpret what is actually going on is the key to the life of these engines. If what is being scanned/logged isn't correct one could be lend to believe what is really happening, isn't. Then the mayhem/destruction pictures are posted up.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks already guys! This is kinda like my old "Optimum Spark" thread, hard to explain but extremely useful when you figure it out.

So Bill replied to my email asking him to take a quick look at what I wrote here. He said "Looks right to me at a quick glance". Sounds like a stamp of approval to me! I'm pretty sure this is a legit procedure for dealing with settings/config sharing issues. It's been working for me for at least a year or two. I have several of the "main" config files saved under different names so I can quickly switch my entire scanner program from say looking at an LNF to looking at an LS7, 9 or LSA. I think what would have made it much easier to find and figure this out is if the "main" config file was named "Preferences" or "Scanner Program Preferences". Since it's a self generating preference file they may have been limited on what they named it though. I have no idea since I'm no software engineer. I know self generating preference files like this are common but I'm not sure they're usually named like they are in the HPTuners software. On the Mac side, when you had problems with a program one of the tricks was to delete the preference file so it would make a new one the next time the program was opened.

Anyway have fun!

Advanced Tuner
    I love you (no homo). I still don't have a config that is 100% where I want it to be.

Only issue is, I think I set up my settings file to be under a different name, which sucks because I don't know how to make it work now. When I go to open a new config, it goes to a folder with my other configs, so I wonder if this is where I need to save it? I looked in my HP Tuners file and it only shows the VCM Suite folder.

Advanced Tuner
    Think I got yours, John, but I am having issues with boost, like I always do, and for some reason the cam angles aren't showing in the graph, but they show in the table. Also, 2 undefined parameters in the table, which I am not sure what they are, and a blank spot in the table. Otherwise good to go!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    I love you (no homo). I still don't have a config that is 100% where I want it to be.

Only issue is, I think I set up my settings file to be under a different name, which sucks because I don't know how to make it work now. When I go to open a new config, it goes to a folder with my other configs, so I wonder if this is where I need to save it? I looked in my HP Tuners file and it only shows the VCM Suite folder.
    Again I'm no software engineer, but I'm pretty sure those folders and files NEED to be where they are and what they're named when the program is installed. In your HPTuners folder you should have a "Settings" folder and in that should be the "VCM Scanner.cfg" file. It needs this file to make the scanner work and it needs to have that exact name. This file is different than the config files commonly shared on HPTuners forum posts. BOTH are needed to make the scanner read exactly like the person who's sharing the configs reads.

BTW Matt...

"I love you (no homo)."

You own a Solstice now. If you want to be a true Kappatard, you need to work on your jealousy and hatred of all things gmtech. Saying things like you love me will only get you banned from the Solstice forum. Hopefully they won't find out.
    lol.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 04-29-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I think it is reading exactly as you have it, now! Got the cams working because something was messed up in the chart settings, and got boost working. Now to see if all of this comes back when I close the scanner and reopen it. If it doesn't, I think I will uninstall and reinstall the program. I have everything in a shared file so I can access it on my laptop and my tuning notebook, makes it easy that way.

I've moved this to the VCM Scanner forum because it's good general info.

I've spent a bit of time on VCM Scanner 2.25 trying to separate the "channels configuration (what you log)" vs the "layout (what you see)".

I welcome feedback on the new process VCM Scanner 2.25 has taken.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post

You own a Solstice now. If you want to be a true Kappatard, you need to work on your jealousy and hatred of all things gmtech. Saying things like you love me will only get you banned from the Solstice forum. Hopefully they won't find out.
    lol.
    Let's be honest, I have pissed on some cheerios over there already. I hardly even go there (I do keep my build thread there, just to feel the hate) because it's just a place to show off your spray painted dash and plastidipped wheels. Amongst nut hugging of certain vendors. When I look at a rear subframe brace and call it wimpy, I get a "Let's see you do it better" response. When I do it better (pic for reference: http://i.imgur.com/kiOw2OY.jpg) I get absolutely no response. And I recently made an aluminum exhaust, you would think it's the end of the world over there!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    I've moved this to the VCM Scanner forum because it's good general info.

I've spent a bit of time on VCM Scanner 2.25 trying to separate the "channels configuration (what you log)" vs the "layout (what you see)".

I welcome feedback on the new process VCM Scanner 2.25 has taken.
    Thanks Keith!!! I was going to put it in that forum section but these LNF guys were asking specifically about configs so I didn't want them to miss it. I also wasn't sure you HPT guys were going to give it your stamp of approval. Thanks for moving it, that is where it belongs. Did it rate a sticky? lol.

I've been playing around with the beta scanner. Should I inject a "2 weeks" joke here? hahaha. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I honestly can't wait until everything is up and running in the new 2.25 scanner. Yes, I noticed the difference in the "Channels" and "Layouts". You guys are doing an awesome job on this software! Thanks again!

Advanced Tuner
    So from the lack of response I'm guessing this was too complicated to figure out? If I get a chance I'll make a quick video of how to do it. It literally takes like 20 seconds to switch between completely different scanner setups. Am I the only one that likes to see a totally different HPT Scanner layout when logging different engines? I guess I am a little different. lol.

Here's the configs for when I'm logging LSA's or LS9's. The basic stuff stays mostly the same, but as you can see by the name (LSA config #33), I change stuff around often. Obviously when I'm working on certain stuff like alternator voltage, I'll want to have F terminal percentage in the table display and chart display. When I'm done with that, I take it out and log some other PID. That's not new news, I'm sure everyone does that. Just mentioned that because there might be stuff in this config that you don't want. Feel free to do whatever you want with it, that's the whole point! It does have the basic PID's that most anyone would need for tuning most LS engines.

Have fun and don't forget to REMOVE AND BACK UP your "VCM Scanner" config that's in the "Settings" folder. Remember it's a "Self Generating" file that has to be named exactly like it is. And if you remove it, it will create another default file when you open your HPT Scanner program. When you put mine in your "Settings" folder, you'll have to change the extension from ".txt" to ".cfg". Since this forum wouldn't take a config file that's over 15kb I had to change it to a text file to be able to attach it here. Even more confusing! Sorry.

This one goes in the "Settings" folder... (edit- Don't forget to change the extension from .txt to .cfg)

VCM Scanner.txt

This one goes in the "VCM Scanner" folder, in the "Configs" folder...

Sky LSA config33 no cat temp o2 shown.cfg
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 05-17-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Tuner
    This thread just answered my question on transferring from the LNF to LSJ to what ever other GM engine I get asked to look at. It always frustrated me I couldn't adjust my LSJ config without connecting to the car after logging my LNF.

I'm going to try your LSA config later, but the VCM Scanner file is a .txt file is that from the beta scanner program? I'm on 2.24 and all mine are .cfg

Really hoping the software guys will include this as a streamline step to save having to copy paste, not that its to difficult just a time consumer.

Advanced Tuner
    Wow. I'm guessing since this thread isn't getting any action that most of the ~500 people that have looked at it don't understand the importance or power of this? Or I wasn't clear enough on my explanation? I put a lot of info in the words I write, sometimes important little pieces get missed.

ECaulk... Hopefully you got my LSA config working? I explained in my post that I had to change the extension of that config file from .cfg to .txt so that I could attach it in this forum. This forum has a limit on file size for .cfg files, it's like 19k. My config file was around 30k so it wouldn't let me attach it as a config file. All you have to do is change the extension from .txt back to .cfg and it will work. It's a common forum attachment issue that's dealt with just like I did it.

SOOOOO, anyway...
    I was kind of bummed out that I posted this years too late because now we're all going to be moving from 2.24 to 2.25 or 2.26 eventually. Guess what? THIS INFORMATION IS JUST AS IMPORTANT IN THE NEW BETA SOFTWARE AS IT WAS IN 2.24 AND BEFORE!!!

I'm telling you guys, when you figure out how to do this, which takes about 15 seconds, you will unleash a very powerful tool for your scanner use. I just looked at another member's log today because he asked for help. I couldn't give him very much help because I couldn't really see what he was seeing in his log. And in my scanner setup, he was logging so many different PID's than me, my scanner Chart Display had like 3 graph traces in it! Even if he had included the config file most people pass around, I still wouldn't have been able to see exactly what he was seeing the way his scanner was set up to see it. If he posted BOTH config files, I could have configured my scanner EXACTLY like his in a matter of seconds. More importantly, if I gave him BOTH of my config files, he could have logged his car with EXACTLY everything I needed, and could see for himself how it all is supposed to look in the scanner. THIS IS HUGE FOR ANYONE THAT REMOTE TUNES. (Sorry I yell a lot! I write a lot and it's easy for people to miss my big points so I tend to cap or bold the important parts.) Send your customer BOTH config files and you won't have to spend 20 emails or phone calls helping him learn how to log what you need him to log. Emailing your remote customer these two config files will have him logging exactly what you need in one simple step.

One of the biggest problems I see when guys are looking at logs is the way the Chart Display is set up. If the scales are wrong, or if you aren't overlaying PID's in the same window so you can see their relationship, you're really logging blindly. A perfect example is Pedal Position vs. Throttle Position. How many of you have your scanner set up so they are in the same window, and at the same scales? if you don't, you have NO IDEA what the throttle is doing in relation to what your foot is doing. THIS IS HUGE!!! How can you properly tune a car if you don't know this? I'm betting at least 84% (lol. See what I did there?) of the guys using HPTuners don't have their scanner showing both Pedal and Throttle in the same window and at the same scales. If you don't, try it. You'll learn something amazing about your engine immediately. The relationship between pedal and throttle is very rarely 1:1, and it shouldn't be.

Sorry to ramble again! Please guys, re-read what I'm trying to say here. It's a powerful tool you can have in your back pocket when using this software. And it will absolutely work in 2.25 because they kept the same "Main" config file for the entire scanner software. Which brings me back to an important point I already made a few times above. BACK UP YOUR CURRENT CONFIG FILES!!!!!!!!! How many of you have tried the new beta and then gone back to using 2.24? Wow, where did all your scanner settings you spent years perfecting go? Oh, I'll just load one of my old config files. Wrong. That doesn't restore all your Table Display info, font settings, scanner window setups, scales, colors, etc. The first time I loaded the new 2.25 beta, I realized it wasn't ready for me to use full time so I went back to 2.24. I realized all my settings had been overwritten when the beta installed! No problem, I just pulled the "Main" config file out, put one of my old ones back in, and my 2.24 was exactly like I had it. If you've spent years looking at logs with a certain setup, it's easy to see when things aren't right in a log. Loose those and you have to re-learn how to "see" things.

Thanks for reading all this guys! I DO think it's an important thing to pass along, that's why I've taken the time to try to explain it. Sorry if it's not clear enough. The info is there, you just might have to read what I wrote a few times over to get it. Good luck!

Advanced Tuner
    I thought this screenshot might help. This is of my "Settings" folder. This is how I rename the "Main" config files so that they are either in use or not in use. When you first install the HPTuners software, it will create one of these "VCM Scanner.cfg" config files with default settings. Whenever you make changes to the scanner, it will update this file with your changes. Ever notice how if you close the program with say, the Histogram window open, that when you re-open the program that same window re-opens? This is the file that remembers that stuff. It also remembers what's IN the histogram settings, what's IN your Table Display, etc, etc.

Anyway, what I do is just add a few letters to the name of the "VCM Scanner.cfg" file to let me know what the particular setup is in that file. If you look at the names, I've added "lnf" or "lsa" or whatever to the file name. THIS MAKES THE HPTUNERS PROGRAM NO LONGER USE IT. In this screenshot, when I open the scanner program, the only config file it's going to use is the one named "VCM Scanner.cfg". So literally all you have to do to switch the entire setup of the program is to change that file name to something other than "VCM Scanner.cfg" and then remove the extra letters in one of your other file names like "VCM Scannerlsa.cfg". If I do that, when I open my scanner program, it will be completely setup to log an LSA engine car. Add a letter or two to one file name, remove a letter or two from another and completely change the way your scanner program works. Cool huh? Confusing? Only until you get what I'm saying. After that it's easy. Certainly a helluva lot easier than say trying to figure out Transient Fueling! lol.

Here's another screenshot... THESE are the "config" files that everyone on this forum has been passing around for years. When someone posts "Give us a log and a config file so we can help you", these are the config files that are posted. These can be named anything, and can be stored anywhere, in any folder. They're usually kept in the "Configs" folder like in this screenshot. They are simply loaded in when you're in the scanner program and go to "File"-"Open Config" and select one. This is NOT the config files I'm talking about. These config files only effect part of the program. How many times have you shared with someone else or used a shared config file and half of the PID's don't work? This is what this whole thread is about! Hopefully I've explained it well enough. I certainly explained it LONG enough! Sorry.

Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 05-17-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    im going to have to read this on one of my days off. i haven't experienced any lost signals when using shared configs.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    gmtech's explanation of this and his "how-to" were easy to understand and implement for myself and I just starting using HP Tuners.