Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To "Properly" Use Shared Config Files

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    One of the PID's used in that custom PID is probably different for your vehicle, is my best guess

You mentioned it showing a different vehicle up top than yours.. so that makes me think that's a plausible explanation

Try actually logging something on your car and see if any PID's don't work in the table display. My guess is one PID used in the custom PID you're having trouble with won't work.
    I know the value it displays is wrong when I logged it previously but that isn't my point here. My point is, if it shows correct for him then we must be missing a file(s), the whole point of this thread. I'm wondering if we need to move more than those two files if we want two different computers to log and display the same thing. Assuming his display is correct and his mapping is correct, which must be different then what I just showed then we must be missing another small piece. Because what I showed isn't right. But if he checks and it looks like what I showed above then it is just those two files and his posted .cfg files have an error in it. I don't care about the error if it is just an error and not a missing file(s).

What I want is a 100% correct way to move the info from one computer to another and have the exact same logs and displays - it should be as easy as moving a couple or so files. Especially if I post my logs then I want to post the associated files to have people see what I see. You know, compare apples to apples.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSteck View Post
    I know the value it displays is wrong when I logged it previously but that isn't my point here. My point is, if it shows correct for him then we must be missing a file(s), the whole point of this thread. I'm wondering if we need to move more than those two files if we want two different computers to log and display the same thing. Assuming his display is correct and his mapping is correct, which must be different then what I just showed then we must be missing another small piece. Because what I showed isn't right. But if he checks and it looks like what I showed above then it is just those two files and his posted .cfg files have an error in it. I don't care about the error if it is just an error and not a missing file(s).

What I want is a 100% correct way to move the info from one computer to another and have the exact same logs and displays - it should be as easy as moving a couple or so files. Especially if I post my logs then I want to post the associated files to have people see what I see. You know, compare apples to apples.
    You can't even connect the SAME computer to different cars and have every PID work right off the bat. There are different PID's between different cars.

That is my point. You have his config, 100%, exactly the same. The problem is the PID's for your car are DIFFERENT than the ones his config was based on, so they don't work 100%. Try actually logging something with that config and I would hope you can quickly see what PID's aren't working, adjust them to what's available for that car, and then be good to go.

There is no file missing. Those two files are it--I've moved several configs around between three computers, the method works perfectly.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Tyler, do you have stock maps in your car right now or the 3 bar Bosch maps?

And does your table display look exactly like this?...

Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 06-02-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Ok .. that is what I was hoping. I was under the wrong assumption this was for a LNF Solstice / Sky car, I guess it wasn't, my bad.

Does anyone have both .cfg files for a Solstice (GXP 2008, if it matters) they would willing to put on the forum so I can use them? If not, I will do my best to adjust this one which looks like a very "full" .cfg file to use.

Got to go ...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TBSteck View Post
    Ok .. that is what I was hoping. I was under the wrong assumption this was for a LNF Solstice / Sky car, I guess it wasn't, my bad.

Does anyone have both .cfg files for a Solstice (GXP 2008, if it matters) they would willing to put on the forum so I can use them? If not, I will do my best to adjust this one which looks like a very "full" .cfg file to use.

Got to go ...

???

The files I posted in the first post of this thread ARE for an LNF. A 2008 Solstice/Sky actually. The only thing you needed to change for your setup was the boost PID. Enable the one that says "Boost-Baro" and disable the one that says "Boost" or "Boost2".

The reason the screenshot shows a "CTS V8 2012" is because that happened to be the log I had open. Open your log and it will say "Pontiac Solstice LNF 2008". It has nothing to do with the configs. If it shows "Undefined" in the PID list, that means you're not looking at a log or connected to a car that PID works with. Did you even try scanning it or opening one of your Solstice logs with my configs?

Here are the same files I posted, but with the other boost PID enabled. It was in there, you just have to choose which one you want to use. Boost on an LNF is simply "Boost Sensor LoRes" minus "BARO Sensor". Simple as that. Actually I'll even put the function string here so you can copy and paste it if you want, although it's already in both of the config files I posted...
    ([PID.2338.PSI] - [PID.2340.PSI])

VCM Scanner.cfg12-10-12 LNF13.cfg

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    So from the lack of response I'm guessing this was too complicated to figure out? If I get a chance I'll make a quick video of how to do it. It literally takes like 20 seconds to switch between completely different scanner setups. Am I the only one that likes to see a totally different HPT Scanner layout when logging different engines? I guess I am a little different. lol.

Here's the configs for when I'm logging LSA's or LS9's. The basic stuff stays mostly the same, but as you can see by the name (LSA config #33), I change stuff around often. Obviously when I'm working on certain stuff like alternator voltage, I'll want to have F terminal percentage in the table display and chart display. When I'm done with that, I take it out and log some other PID. That's not new news, I'm sure everyone does that. Just mentioned that because there might be stuff in this config that you don't want. Feel free to do whatever you want with it, that's the whole point! It does have the basic PID's that most anyone would need for tuning most LS engines.

Have fun and don't forget to REMOVE AND BACK UP your "VCM Scanner" config that's in the "Settings" folder. Remember it's a "Self Generating" file that has to be named exactly like it is. And if you remove it, it will create another default file when you open your HPT Scanner program. When you put mine in your "Settings" folder, you'll have to change the extension from ".txt" to ".cfg". Since this forum wouldn't take a config file that's over 15kb I had to change it to a text file to be able to attach it here. Even more confusing! Sorry.

This one goes in the "Settings" folder... (edit- Don't forget to change the extension from .txt to .cfg)

Attachment 50482

This one goes in the "VCM Scanner" folder, in the "Configs" folder...

Attachment 50483
    gmtech16450yz, I've been hanging in the background trying to get this to work with no luck, I did however find another cfg file on the main thread that I could open and use without it telling me it was of the wrong format. I'm not sure what that's about but I'm think it may have something to do with backwards compatibility. Anyway I appreciate your help here.
    2011 Camaro/LS3(stock)/6speed(manual)/CAI(KN)

Bob G

learn something new everyday or you are doing something wrong

At a wine release party now but the car description was on my computer as soon i open up the scanning software, not a big deal.
    I wss try the new files and see how they work, then I'll post my stock log with your cfg files on my other thread.

Thanks and please give me your input when i get it posted.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AGamble View Post
    gmtech16450yz, I've been hanging in the background trying to get this to work with no luck, I did however find another cfg file on the main thread that I could open and use without it telling me it was of the wrong format. I'm not sure what that's about but I'm think it may have something to do with backwards compatibility. Anyway I appreciate your help here.
    Are you using 2.24 or 2.25? The "secondary" config only works in 2.24 since the new beta saves them as "Layouts". The "Main" config file works for both 2.24 and 2.25, they share the same config file. So in the new beta everyone is going to be sharing "Layout" files, which are in .xml format so you can actually see and probably edit them directly. Those .xml files still only hold the setting for the chart, or what is "shown" in the chart. The "main" config file still holds all the rest of the preferences.

lol. Confusing much?

Are you using 2.24 or 2.25? The "secondary" config only works in 2.24 since the new beta saves them as "Layouts". The "Main" config file works for both 2.24 and 2.25, they share the same config file. So in the new beta everyone is going to be sharing "Layout" files, which are in .xml format so you can actually see and probably edit them directly. Those .xml files still only hold the setting for the chart, or what is "shown" in the chart. The "main" config file still holds all the rest of the preferences.

lol. Confusing much?
    Ha Yea, no I haven't gone to the beta with the "cool kids" yet still trying to wrap my mind around the standard 2.24. Think I will hang out on the "monkey bars" until I get the feel of it. Not even sure I can post what config I'm using yet. but let me give it a try

Ha what do you know it looks like it might have worked.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bob G

Well I guess I'm just slow in my old age, I just reread your post again I'm one of those slow to get it but never forget it types. One file is for how you view it the other is for what you view. Thanks john, nice job on the sky btw.

Bob G

Tuner

lol. Confusing much?
    I should have some time this week to do a screen shot step by step or download what overboosting used for the video guides and do a walk through. Hopefully that will clear things up for the other users

Tuner
    good info

Tuner
    I tried this and didn't have any luck. Do you have to change any of it on a certain order? Had someone send me a log, config, and scanner config. They said they can see there WB through the AC but I cant see it at all, do see an unsupported parameter though.

Check out your user defined PID's and see what's in there when using their config.

Get a screenshot of theirs and see if they match or not first.. report back.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    After struggling with configs that continually seem to blow up, I found this post.
    Hopefully the OP is still following.

I've become employed at a shop that tunes Dodge Vehicles.
    I'm using a combination of 2.24 and 2.25. 2.24 works very nicely on the earlier Dodge vehicles.

I have my HPT setup with my own folders on the desktop for easy access. In these I have tunes, configs and logs.
    I have a separate set of folders for the Dodge vehicles.

The problem is, when I write a config for the Dodge, with custom PIDs, then go back and work on my own vehicles, all of my custom PID's are gone.
    Some come up unsupported, some simply put the custom Dodge PID in it's place?

Very aggravating and costly because the Dodge config ends up blown up as well next time I try to use it.

So am I correct in that I should not be saving these in folders I created on the desk top? But instead be saving deep in the bowels of the computer where the HPT default location is?

As far as actually saving a config I can return to, or share, let's see if I have this correct.

1. Create the config along with custom PIDs as needed. Save to config file with name of choice.
    2. Connect to car and verify operation. (This automatically modifies the VCM Scanner.cfg in the HPT files.
    3. After verifying all is good, I need to go and change the name of VCM Scanner.cfg to one that matches the new config I just created?
    4. Then make sure I leave a new VCM Scanner.cfg in that folder so the scanner can reference and modify it the next time I use it?

For opening a config, I need to go to this folder in HPT and open the new config created from the master VCM Scanner config.

Maybe you can explain then how saved log files work? Seems to find it's orig config setting somewhere.........sometimes.

Also, on my pc, this is all stored here: Not in the main HP tuners file
    C:\Users\Ron\Documents\HP Tuners

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Tuner
    Are you working with version 2.24 or 2.25?

As GMTech pointed out earlier this method will only work on 2.24. It sounds like maybe we'll get lucky have have more selection in 2.25.

It works great for 2.24.xxx, I had some issues with copy and pasting it into the folder, but dragging it from one folder with the correct name to the other didn't give me any trouble.

John if you're still following I just started looking into the cam adjustments on the LNF, with the config in the first post you have a historgram of cam overlap, but it's not supported. I'll verify I have all the correct parameters, but if you're willing to share the equation I would appreciate it, although I'm sure actually working out the equation will help me understand the cam adjustments better.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for doing this gmtech. I just downloaded for source config files and am looking forward to using them to log my Solstice. Do you use this setup for all Solsti, or do you have one in particular for the 2.4L?

Tuner
    The config file GMTech posted is for the LNF solstice (2.0L) the 2.4L uses a different ECU (e67 iirc). You'll have other things to watch (unless you've boosted your 2.4), but the general idea is here. I haven't personally got my hands on a 2.4 Solstice/Cobalt/G5/etc yet to see recommend or setup a config for you.

thanks for this

This thread helped me recover my lost scanner config. Thanks, OP!
    2010 Camaro SS 781rwhp
    TKR Stage 4 CTSV 6L90
    Circle D 258mm 3400 3B Pro Series Multi Disk
    Kooks Ceramic LT's & full 3in exhaust
    TFS GenX 255's (Polished PAC .660's and Ti-Retainers)
    TSP VVT 3.2 cam
    Smith Bro's trunnion kit
    AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband Gauges
    FIC ID1300x Injectors
    ZL1 Fuel Pump
    DSX Flex Fuel Kit / Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit
    MM Camaro 5 Wild
    Holley Tall LS Valve Covers
    NGK Iridium IX #7
    HP Tuners MPVI2+
    ProCharger D1X @ 13psi