Thread: Gear Number Estimation Issue

Potential Tuner

Gear Number Estimation Issue

Hi there,

I am new in using RaceRender and I'm playing around a lot with it for days now - I am very impressed.
    My data input comes from a Driftbox, which is connected to a Micro Input Module for accessing RPM and analogue inputs (oil pressure, oil temperature, brake indicator, throttle value). My car is far to old for OBD-II...

So, everything is working fine - but now I have an issue with the gear estimation feature. The algorithm does not recognize the difference between 1st and 2nd gear. It shows 1st gear in the real 1st and 2nd gear.
    Everything else works perfect.
    Since I do not have the option to access other speed info but the Driftbox GPS Signal - is there a way to have influence in the gear estimation?

Is there another way to achieve a better result? As far as I understood, the enhanced display object scripting is not mighty enough to generate my own gear algorithm.

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

It probably didn't get a good read on 1st gear, so 1 and 2 got lumped together. That does sometimes happen, as it can be impacted by the amount of time you spent in each gear, the complication of it comparing RPM versus GPS speed instead of the vehicle speed sensor, the gear ratios, driving conditions, etc.

There's not much that can be done to help it separate those at this time, but you can fix the resulting error of gears 2,3,4,5 displaying as 1,2,3,4: If you double-click on the data file in the Input Files list, then go down to "Transmission Gear", the "Adjust" setting can be set to 1 to shift the displayed gear up by one. The only error then would be that both 1st gear and 2nd gear would both show up as "2", but it fixes the other gears, and hopefully like most users your driving session didn't spend much time in 1st gear.

Potential Tuner
    My gear ratios are close and indeed I did not spend much time in 1st gear in the test run I am working with. The workaround to shift the gears one up in the input file properties is acceptable as I will never spend any time in 1st gear on the track...
    I will try to accelerate slowly through the first gears in the next run, just to try if this helps the gear estimation algorithm.

One more question: Is the estimation algorithm working all the time in background oder does it scan the input file data only once per f

It works by scanning the input data file at load time, or may also be recalculated if you change the Speed or RPM data field... It's basically a sort of statistical analysis of Speed vs RPM under certain conditions to try to figure out the most probable gear ratios, and then it generates the gear number data based on that.