Thread: Newbie questions about a resto mod I'm building

Tuner in Training

Newbie questions about a resto mod I'm building

Hi. I spent my first couple hours on the the laptop yesterday trying to adjust some settings for my new build. I put an LS1 5.3 into an old Malibu with a 4l80etrans. The motor is bored to a 5.7, comp cam, Dart heads, LS2 intake, FAST 102MM TB, Lingenfelter MAF, PSI conversion wiring harness and VCM Suite. I guess my question arises from some chatter I hear occasionally on here about the 4l80e not shifting in this config. oh the PCM is a 2001 1/2 ton truck PCM. Running the lousy OS I hear people saying is junk. So there is an option in the Trans section to pick 4l80e trans. My main question is will I have that issue where it doesn't shift? Should I change to a 3/4 ton tune and tweak that? I have a p0740 and p0785 code on the PCM now. But I downloaded a 3/4 ton tune and I see that those DTCs are turned off in it so maybe I just need to follow suite. What does a segment swap do? Is that something that i can't match by simply comparing and matching settings between my tune and the 3/4 ton tune?

Oh also I wanna do the MAF (RTT) enhanced upgrade. Does that change anything here about the 4l80e? It appears to be a whole new OS. Thanks and this is my very first post so I am trying to read and learn but I am like a little kid when it comes to this stuff and I get all anxious to play.

Tuner in Training
    So I have done a lot of reading here. Please correct any mistakes I state. It appears I can now do my own segment swaps if I get the beta version of the VCM suite. But to do a segment swap I need a tune built on the same OS I have. Which apparently has not been seen with a 4l80E in stock form. I worry all the tuning I do will be wasted when I drive the car if it does not shift. Although I kinda doubt that will happen cause I can manually activate the solenoids in the trans and I hear them click. That makes me think there is little reason to think the Os cannot handle the 4l80. If I have to switch to a new tune as my starting point do I have to use credits for it to put it on my PCM? It appears so even though I thought I only had to license the PCM I wanna tune. That question I need some help on.

Thanks