Thread: Add AirDrop spport for data transfer?

Tuner in Training

Add AirDrop spport for data transfer?

Would you consider integrating AirDrop support to share the data/video?

In my current use case I have my phone mounted and use it to record my laps. I want to review the data and watch the video on my iPad between runs.

I have been using the WiFi hotspot feature on the iPad and connecting the phone to use the WiFi share option to transfer the session data. This does work, but its frustrating because for a 2 minute session it can take three or four times that long to transfer.

The best work around I have found is to render the video on the phone first, then use the AirDrop feature in the Photos app to transfer the video to the iPad. That works quickly, and I can get the video in seconds. But its less than ideal for two reasons. First I dont get the rest of the data to review in TrackAddict, just the video to watch. And second the way the phone is mounted its challenging to interact with and go through all the steps to render, access the video, and share.

It would be ideal if TrackAddict supported AirDrop within the App as a share option.

I've put it on my list to look into for possible future enhancements... One thing to keep in mind is that even with AirDrop, it would still be transferring the same amount of data (the entire session) over the same radio frequency band, so in theory it shouldn't necessarily be any faster. The speed you described with WiFi seems unusually slow, and I would suspect that there's something unique with your particular WiFi setup that's limiting throughput, but either way I agree that it would be nice to have a simple peer-to-peer share option without needing an established WiFi network.

Tuner in Training
    I agree that in theory it should be the same transferring via WiFi when connected to the iPad's hotspot vs AirDrop but in practice it does seem very different.

I wish the iOS devices showed more information about the details of the connection... Perhaps the hotspot connection negotiates a different 802.11 protocol than the AirDrop uses?

In any event, it would be a great feature to add if you guys can find the time - the apple developer library has some nice examples.
    :-)
    Last edited by Robertsmania; 05-09-2015 at 11:12 AM.