Thread: New Cam, New to Tuning, Am I going in the right direction?

Tuner in Training

New Cam, New to Tuning, Am I going in the right direction?

Howdy, been around the forum for about a year, looking and digging. A lot of good information, but kinda daunting to a new guy.
    I have a 1999 S10 Blazer 4x4 with a 5.3 LM7 with LS1 heads, Comp Cam #54-450-11, LS1 intake, LS1 manifolds and green stripe Corvette valve springs.

I've been hesitant posting tunes on here, I'm wanting to learn but don't want to seem like an idiot. I have a couple of issues, my new cam doesn't seem any different than my old stock LS1 cam. I'm still digging into looking into that, but I know this sounds childish but my blazer will not spin the tires from a stop. Heck, my old 4.3l would. Anyways, suggestions would be great.

Stock 4l60e with stock converter.

Capture.PNG
    99 blazer 5.3 6-6-15 new cam.hpl
    99 blazer 5.3 idle WIP 6-15-15a.hpt
    stock config.cfg

Thank you all for looking.

Brian

Brian,

Welcome to the dark side :-). A quick few observations. Number one, do you have a wideband? In order to tune WOT, you must have one because the PCM will enter Open Loop (no NB developed trim correction) and the only way to verify you AFR is with a WB. The NB sensors are only accurate at and very near Stoich AFR which is approximately 14.2 with E10 fuel.

Your trims are very high and need tuning. Set the PCM into MAF only so the VE doesn't come into play. Set High rpm disable to 400 rpm. Flat line your PE EQ to 1.17. Log for steady state data and work the MAF curve until LTFT's are like +/- 2 to 5%. Do not go into WOT (PE enabled) until you get a wideband installed. Do you have the Standard or Pro MPVI?

Logging wise, you need to add several PID's to your .cfg. Specifically MAF Hz (so you can correlate the MAF airflow values, Dynamic Airflow so you can get an idea of what the PCM is calculating the expected airflow to (from the VE table) and Commanded AFR Hi Res (to verify commanded AFR and when WOT/PE is entered).

As far as spinning tires, you need to work on the torque management, but that comes after the car is tuned to get you to feel the cam.

What methodology have you used in your tuning strategy? WHat readings or advise are you following?

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 06-16-2015 at 06:01 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Good Morning Mowton,

I do not have a wideband yet. It's next on my list. I just started messing with it the last 2 nights. I started with the MAF tuning (Simple MAF tuning page on that I read on the forum, and last night started working on my Idle Airflowhttp://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...8w-pictures%29. I'll do some more digging tonight into what you've said. It will be another week or 2 before I can buy the wideband that I've been looking at.

Brian

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dying2Live View Post
    I have a couple of issues, my new cam doesn't seem any different than my old stock LS1 cam.
    That's because it's not much different.