Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just bought a lb7 and looking for tune help

Advanced Tuner

just bought a lb7 and looking for tune help

I have only messed with ls1 tunes and I am new to this diesel tune. I just bought a 03 Silverado crew cab dually the only thing I have done so far is muffler delete and cut triangle out of factory air box. I am not looking for a big performance tune I am into fuel economy and towing I do pull a 36' two car car hauler 12k-16k. I don't want to kill transmission at all but all I read is guys getting between 18-24 mpg and I want more fuel mileage and a good puller. All the reading I have done and looking at the sticky all the screen shots are gone. Here is the stock tune please help me learn the diesel world and point me into direction of some nice learning material.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is a good place to start. Pretty sure you just ignore the stuff that doesn't apply to your model.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ets-LMM-tuning

Advanced Tuner
    I did play with the spreed sheet and I think I did it right but not sure about the med and high alt tables I think them are wrong confused.
    I also did not write this to truck yet I did 40% is that a good safe one for economy and still heavy pulling or should I go like 20% please look at this and make sure I am on the right path and I used all the right tables.

Advanced Tuner
    Is there anywere that still has the pictures for screen shots to make sure I did it all right, all the pictures in timing sticky have been moved.
    I also just did a tune with the Mcrat 20-20 but cant adjust boost only injectors and timing if I did it right here is this one stock still above.
    I haven't loaded either one of these yet want to have someone look at them and make sure I am good before I do.
    Last edited by badbowtie; 05-07-2015 at 07:19 AM.

You seem to be adding fuel at idle that may cause concerns. Here is a tune to compare with.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay looking at that is that really a 77 hp change tune? I can't believe how little some of the things are changed and in the like 3500 rpm and up section. I do remember reading about not to add fuel at idle know that you say that but can't remember were and what to actually change. I have been reading like crazy looking for a how to and some more info on all this and I am just getting more confused. I just dont want to go spend 400-800 on a plug in programmer I have hp tuners and already unlocked the vin so sure would like to learn all this. I even just skimmed back thru the mcrat 20-20 directions and I don' think I missed anything about were to start adding fuel at.
    How safe is the tune (Road) for heavy towing and stock trans. So for know if I would just post your tables in that are different what should I expect.

I put over 200000 miles with that tune (heavy towing). I believe the hp increase is for real good power under a load. You want see any fuel mileage increase with that tune. Timing is where you will see a increase in fuel mileage. I wouldn't increase IPW more than 20% towing and keep everything less then 50mm3 stock. I give you that compare tune to show you how little I takes to maked power and you can make improvements from there. Good luck
    Mike

Advanced Tuner
    Okay thanks so If I go into the the main pw table or is it the main pw (no pilot) and to be safe to start of I could add 10% or 15%, and only do the 50, 60,70,80,90,100 columns. Which is were I will pick up some fuel mileage. And if I wanted more economy would I go like 30% just not towing with it. And if I go into base low and add timing I dont want to add timing anything below say 1000-1200 rpm and do I just want to start adding like 10% and then do same with base med and base high.

To get fuel mileage I would stay @10% IPW increase I increase both tables (I thinks they are the same to start with). Are you using the timing calculator? I don't see how you came up with those 17 in your timing. I use the low table to make my timing tables and copy it to med and high. To get the best fuel mileage use least amount of fuel and tune to get the smoothest power flow. Personally I get 15-19 mpg never once saw 20mpg. Let me know if you need more info'
    Mike

Advanced Tuner
    If you are talking about the 17 that is in 3000 and 70 mm3 and up you have the same thing so looks to be stock. I did try the spread sheet but not sure I had it all figured out right since all the screen shots have been removed. Looks like you have maybe added 10% in the IPW table so I see that.

Advanced Tuner
    I did do a compare between your tune and mine and did change about everything that is different on yours to mine and installed and don't feel to bad. I am not sure about mpg yet I have to get fuel tomorrow and which will be about 200 miles on your tune and I will see how it does. Before I installed your tune I did fill up again and hand calculating I got 15.5.

I see that is stock timing tables for low baro (my bad) you can copy low baro to your med and high baro tables for now (until you learn the timing calculator).

Advanced Tuner
    I actually did copy the low table and paste it in the other two and was hoping that was okay to use for know. I also would like to figure out how to use hptuners scanner to up the commanded fuel pressure like they can do with tech 2
    Last edited by badbowtie; 05-10-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    All the other reading I have done I am not seeing that we have the option two have two tunes installed like efi live to be able to flip a switch I think called dsp. I am still trying to understand all this and finding much info to keep a stock 5 speed allison together.

Paul ,
    Here is a tune my dad tried in his 02 he really liked it said it was "real snappy" down low.
    We removed it because it limped his stock trans sometimes.
    I can't take credit for it someone way more knowlegable tuning diesels posted it many years ago.

Badbowtie,
    I have tried to help my dad with his fuel mileage, what seems to help was locking the TCC sooner and keeping it locked longer.
    Last edited by apex2112; 05-16-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thank You Apex,

Utilized some of the timing and Injector PW. And this was night and day in the Low to Mid range. Much better.

Thanks...

Advanced Tuner
    Okay here is my current tune I am running right know but need to make some more changes to get most I can get out of it with out limping trans and need to be able to have a tune for 12-18k trailer and another for like 8k load and maybe another with no load just economy. I been having starting issues with truck so I have it tore apart right know waiting on new injectors to show up tomorrow to get back on the road again.

Potential Tuner
    Hello BadBowTie,

I attached the Timing Calculator for LB7's I plugged in you information form the stock file to get the timing calculations for a 40% time. I do not like some of the timing that is calculated with the timing calculator (mostly some of the stock timing which drops to a lower number rather drastic).

Also Check out Apex's tune that was posted the other day the tune seemed to perform really well, I had to adjust some of the boost back to stock to alleviate a service engine code, but once I did it seemed to perform well.

I tried to upload the entire calculator, but the forum said it was to large???

Inj_Timing_Copy_Stock.xls

Badbowtie,

Do you have a pyrometer? if you want to bump power up you need to keep an eye on your egt's
    It will help if you have a way to increase boost pressure, the LB7 does not have the variable turbo like the newer LLY, LBZ
    You have to manually increase it with a boost stick or adjustable waste gate.
    You can't get too much more power over the Mcrat 20/20 before you start to limp the stock trans.

For no load economy lock the TCC at lower speed to keep rpm down and try and stay out of boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Paul O Kyle
    I am little confused on that table I thought the idea was to add timing but looking at the spread sheet you did the timing went down. Please explain I am really trying to learn all this for sure.

I do not have a egt or boost gauge yet. I am actually looking to buy the edge cts and adding the probe. I just trying to come up with another 400 right know. I do have one of the boost sticks coming should have any day.
    I have tried to make heads or tails out of the mcrat 20/20 and I am not following it very well it is not making sense. Not sure if have a bad how to I was looking at or what.