Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: just bought a lb7 and looking for tune help

Advanced Tuner
    I just ordered the edge CTS last night next week one day I will order the egt probe kit. I sure wish someone would figure out the whole dsp5 switch option like over on the other software. It would sure be nice to beable to switch tunes on the cts but I dont want to pay someone to tunr the truck since I have hptuners and already have it unlocked.

Advanced Tuner
    I used the cts all weekend and really like it and will have egt probe here today to put in.

I have played with a couple things very mild so far. But I did buy one of them boost sticks to bump up boost pressure. Once I install that today do I need to add more fuel or timing or anything in tune please be specific.

Advanced Tuner
    I got the the egt probe in yesterday and got the boost stick in to bump up boost. The ecm will only read like 22 psi due to sensor from what I have read on the cts monitor. Is there a way to change in the tune to make it read higher. I just dont want to spend another 130 for the extra boost controller for the cts yet. I just figuring there is a way to re scale it or something with hp tuners to make it read higher. I also read were the maf is used to control the amount of boost the ecm will read so it may be something in that I need to change.
    Last edited by badbowtie; 05-27-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Know that I have all the monitor stuffing to see what is going on I would like to get a tune from someone knowing these tunes. I already have paid to unlock it but would like a really nice economy tune. And if the economy tune is not a good tow tune also then a good safe 15k tow tune. I just want to make sure I dont limp stock trans. I have a 200 mile trip saturday to head to a wedding and in less than a month I have a 800 mile trip planned. Then starting august I will be towing the street rods every weekend to car shows. I am willing to pay to get what I want just dont want to spend a fortune since I really should just pay for a efi live setup and use the dsp5 switch setup. I found a efi live tune with good reviews that I would really like to put in hptuners format to compare and make changes. Any decoder or anything to convert tunes.
    Last edited by badbowtie; 06-10-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by badbowtie View Post
    Paul O Kyle
    I am little confused on that table I thought the idea was to add timing but looking at the spread sheet you did the timing went down. Please explain I am really trying to learn all this for sure.

I do not have a egt or boost gauge yet. I am actually looking to buy the edge cts and adding the probe. I just trying to come up with another 400 right know. I do have one of the boost sticks coming should have any day.
    I have tried to make heads or tails out of the mcrat 20/20 and I am not following it very well it is not making sense. Not sure if have a bad how to I was looking at or what.
    BUMP because i had the same question. This is my first tune also, and if I put anything less than 50% in the calculator, like 45 lets say all my timing values go lower... I thought the higher the timing number the hotter the tune and its pumping more fuel in ATDC to make more pressure/tq?

Potential Tuner
    I am in the same boat here. I tuned with the 50% in the table but the mileage has gotten a touch worse than stock. Oddly enough my truck gets worse mileage on the freeway then city roads.

Krazykid the table is BTDC not ATDC

Advanced Tuner
    That is about were mileage seems messed up also which is why I dont understand. I still havent figured it out but I have a seems to be a good safe efi live tune just wish there was a way to compare to make changed to mine.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabe View Post
    I am in the same boat here. I tuned with the 50% in the table but the mileage has gotten a touch worse than stock. Oddly enough my truck gets worse mileage on the freeway then city roads.

Krazykid the table is BTDC not ATDC
    I realize it is... but when you put a value lower than 50% in the top, its shifting the % of fuel more to ATDC in the tune, so i assumed the timing numbers should have gone up, not down in the table.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay I have spent allot of time converting all these tables in excel from another tune software and got them to hptuners tables. I would like you guys with more knowledge than me to look at it to see what you think supposed to be a good economy and tow tune. Can compare to my stock tune.

Dont use this economy tow use the one down a couple post I fixed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by badbowtie; 07-06-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Please take a look at the new economy tow tune before I load it into truck and plan to put about 900 miles on truck with in the next week.

Looks ok other than you have couple decimal's wrong in one of the timing tables.
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks I didn't even notice that one and I even thought I doubled checked table guess I missed it.

Advanced Tuner
    I did download tune and only drove about 35 miles with it so far feels good and strong just not sure the fuel mileage according to the insight cts doesn't look like It is getting good fuel mileage but I will soon be able to tell getting ready to take a trip with it.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I installed that tune I made converting tables which is this one (economy tow) and on the 219 miles on the way down I filled up at beginning and filled up when I arrived down here and I got 18.9 mpg which was between 72-75 mph the whole way. I am going to try the (tcc lock up) on the way home in couple days. Looking at these two which one should have more power, which should have better fuel economy and safer for heavy tow.
    Attached Files Attached Files

18.9 good for that truck at that speed going to hard to improve on that unless you slow down little lol keep us posted

Advanced Tuner
    Well I installed the other tune in the truck and will fill back up before I leave Friday morning to head home and see how it does when I get home.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I ran around for a couple days with the tcc lock up tune on and off highway and in traffic and got 16.5 so I filled up and got on interstate and headed home. I ran 72-75 again with cruise and only got 14.4. I was still about 50 miles from home when I checked that and topped off again I ran home and ran to help a contractor today and back home and had another 152 on that tank so filled up again and got 19.5 but was still on the tcc lock up tune just slowed down to about 55-62mph that time. So I am going to flash the economy tune back in and run around for little more around here and see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by badbowtie View Post
    Well I installed that tune I made converting tables which is this one (economy tow) and on the 219 miles on the way down I filled up at beginning and filled up when I arrived down here and I got 18.9 mpg which was between 72-75 mph the whole way. I am going to try the (tcc lock up) on the way home in couple days. Looking at these two which one should have more power, which should have better fuel economy and safer for heavy tow.
    Hey buddy. Just wanted to offer some encouragement and a reply. There isn't much traffic on this site for diesels which is why I believe (in part) most go EFI Live. That and the DSP switch is obvious.

Anyhow I was pretty savy with my boosted SD LS6 but my LB7 is another animal. I will try out your "economy tow" and report back on my mileage/driveability after I put some time on it. My current tune is based on the mcrat 20/20 and I've never gotten over 16mpg with it no matter how light my foot.

I'll hand calculate a few tanks on yours and let you know how it compares! Thanks.

BTW I have 285/75/16 tires so I know that isn't helping my case but I've never been happy with 16mpg on this truck. I always wonder how many people are using the DIC only claiming 20+ vs. hand calc. My DIC shows 23+ all the time...
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Hey buddy. Just wanted to offer some encouragement and a reply. There isn't much traffic on this site for diesels which is why I believe (in part) most go EFI Live. That and the DSP switch is obvious.

Anyhow I was pretty savy with my boosted SD LS6 but my LB7 is another animal. I will try out your "economy tow" and report back on my mileage/driveability after I put some time on it. My current tune is based on the mcrat 20/20 and I've never gotten over 16mpg with it no matter how light my foot.

I'll hand calculate a few tanks on yours and let you know how it compares! Thanks.

BTW I have 285/75/16 tires so I know that isn't helping my case but I've never been happy with 16mpg on this truck. I always wonder how many people are using the DIC only claiming 20+ vs. hand calc. My DIC shows 23+ all the time...
    I'm happy to report I'm now getting a solid 16 city 18 highway on this tune. Where previously I was getting a 15.75 as a best on the highway.

Haven't pulled anything so I can't comment there but no load this tune works great.

Thanks OP!
    03' Duramax CC/SB.

Advanced Tuner
    So you are using my economy tow tune and having great results?

I am still running that tune and have towed about 1500 miles with loads from 5k-15k with no problems at all.
    I sure wish there was some more guys sharing lb7 tunes around here to look at and compare.