Thread: Tranny gear display off 1 gear

Tranny gear display off 1 gear

1) Tranny gear off one gear, I looked at the display object & don't see where to adjust this, car is 6 speed stick.

2) I changed the map display to a more "correct one" #2 lap, but the red dot (car) does not navigate on the map.

Thanks.

For the transmission gear display, you would just need to set the adjustment to +1 or -1, depending on which direction it's off...

In TrackAddict's video overlay: Tap the "Gear" button and select "Gear +1" or "Gear -1"

Or, in RaceRender: Double-click on the data file under "Input Files" list, then go down to "Transmission Gear" and set the "Adjust" box to the right to either be 1, or -1.

As for the map issue, I would really need more information (and ideally, the data file) to determine what's happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    For the transmission gear display, you would just need to set the adjustment to +1 or -1, depending on which direction it's off...

In TrackAddict's video overlay: Tap the "Gear" button and select "Gear +1" or "Gear -1"

Or, in RaceRender: Double-click on the data file under "Input Files" list, then go down to "Transmission Gear" and set the "Adjust" box to the right to either be 1, or -1.

As for the map issue, I would really need more information (and ideally, the data file) to determine what's happening there.
    Thanks Weston, I'll see if it happens again on the map thing & moving dot.

For the shifter/gear is it true that the software uses rpm and gps to "calculate" what gear you are in? It does not get that from obd2?

That's correct... The gear number is not available from standardized OBD-II parameters, so we usually have to rely on our own analysis of RPM vs Speed (both from OBD-II) to try to figure it out. As such, it sometimes can't be perfect, so the adjustment options were created to help with that.

Potential Tuner
    That's correct... The gear number is not available from standardized OBD-II parameters, so we usually have to rely on our own analysis of RPM vs Speed (both from OBD-II) to try to figure it out. As such, it sometimes can't be perfect, so the adjustment options were created to help with that.
    I too am having this issue, and using the adjust menu to add 1 gear does get it to show correct gear placement with the exception of 1st gear, it now just skips 1st gear. How can I correct this in my video, and if there is nothing I can currently do, what can I do in the future to make this algorithm more accurate?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    what can I do in the future to make this algorithm more accurate?
    As with any estimation, there's no perfect solution, but the lack of first gear detection typically comes from an insufficient amount of suitable data recorded while in first gear.

Fortunately, that also means that you probably didn't spend much time in first, so it's hopefully not a big deal for the display to skip over it or use the +1 adjustment.

In any case, the simplest answer for now would be to have more data recorded with you in first gear, holding a steady speed or accelerating, so that its gear ratio will stand out when the data is analyzed. That's of course easier on vehicles with longer gear ratios. If on a road course track, you might try keeping it in first gear for a bit longer when first entering the track. The hardest case for this would be rapid acceleration from a standing start, where you never return to driving in 1st, such as in a drag race.

Is there a way to do this in TrackAddict if you didn't record video?

Quote Originally Posted by MorganHaggis View Post
    Is there a way to do this in TrackAddict if you didn't record video?
    Not at the present time, as it's only a video overlay feature, so the data analysis display would still be off.

Not at the present time, as it's only a video overlay feature, so the data analysis display would still be off.
    That's a bummer. I don't always use video but do use various maps, including the gear maps, so it would be really valuable to be able to correct the gears (or maybe use the speed and RPM to make a better guess as to the gear).