Thread: Another Noob Question

Tuner in Training

Another Noob Question

This seems like a pretty obvious question but i am just asking to confirm. I have a PCM and wiring harness out of the same vehicle and i am in the process of trimming the harness to so that i can run it in a different vehicle. Am i correct in assuming that this will not work until i read the ecm, and spend the 2 credits remove the VATS and write entire? Thanks for the help.

Senior Tuner
    Depends on the vehicle whether or not a write entire is required to disable vats. On many platforms a write calibration will work.

Tuner in Training
    All of the VATS equipment will be removed in the new setup with the harness that has the bare minium. Wont the ECM disable everything and not let it start because it does not have the equipment?

Tuner in Training
    Maybe, maybe not. Nobody's going to be able to tell you until you finally decide to give in to popular demand and tell us what type of vehicle and year the engine and PCM you're talking about came from. On a 92 Crown Victoria you can just plug in a different CPU from another 92 Crown Victoria. On a new Cobalt SS you're not going to be so lucky.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for some reason i always think that everyone is tuning GM. I always associate HPTuners with anything LS related. The Pcm is out of a 2002 tahoe (Serv # 11200411) and the motor used is a GenIII 5.3 and i am not sure the year but i dont think it matters.

Tuner in Training
    Then yes. 2 credits would license that PCM for disabling VATS, which should allow you to start and run that engine. You also shouldn't be required to do a "Write Entire" for this PCM but if you do need to (Write Entire) on any PCM in the future it will usually be spelled out in that area (VATS) of the tune.
    Last edited by PopUpBlocker; 05-14-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Tuner in Training
    ok. thanks for the help.