Thread: Locking PCM's with 2.25

Advanced Tuner

Locking PCM's with 2.25

Can anyone tell me the proceedure for locking and checking to see if it is locked for the Australian ford PCM's with the beta 2.5 following is how I understand it.

open tune - edit- Calibration details - controllers - double click to lock (from blank to dongle id) .

Write tune.

Then tried to confirm it was locked by reading with 2.24 which it read fine I was unable to confirm it was locked by reading with 2,24 as it read it fine. This can mean two things either it was not locked in the first place or the dongle automatically unlockes it given the same dongle.
    Last edited by Yortt; 05-10-2015 at 06:35 PM.
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Locking function should be removed altogether IMHO

Add that to the beta eric
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yortt View Post
    This can mean two things either it was not locked in the first place or the dongle automatically unlockes it given the same dongle.
    Or locking only works when the software has been updated to support it. I was under the impression that you could always go back to a beta that did not support locking (or 2.24) and read the tune. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm with Jet on this one. There are many ways to do so why not just do the things they do with SCT like changing the OS identifier but not the actual OS. I guess there are a lot of tuners out there who want to keep their secrets, as long as they did not start with Fords secrets then that is OK.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylC View Post
    Or locking only works when the software has been updated to support it. I was under the impression that you could always go back to a beta that did not support locking (or 2.24) and read the tune.I do not think this is the case otherwise why lock it. Clarification from HP Tunes would be a great help. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm with Jet on this one. There are many ways to do so why not just do the things they do with SCT like changing the OS identifier but not the actual OS. I believe HP Tuners use this number for other things! I guess there are a lot of tuners out there who want to keep their secrets, or hide poor work or have no secrets hence not locked as long as they did not start with Fords secrets then that is OK. Isn't aftermarket software doing that!
    Last edited by Yortt; 05-11-2015 at 05:05 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yortt View Post
    Isn't aftermarket software doing that!
    Exactly. People get on their high horses about their intellectual property but are quite happy to start with the factory standard tune and use its intellectual property.

I guess all the after marker companies have got explicit permission allowing them to do this

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylC View Post
    I guess all the after marker companies have got explicit permission allowing them to do this
    I would say not!