Thread: Totally over exposed video on 3 autox runs?

Totally over exposed video on 3 autox runs?

I shot 3 runs a few days ago (this is when I had trouble "stopping" the recording). You have helped me figure out how to do manual start/stop, thanks.

Today I reviewed the 3 runs.

The sound and data display are perfect, but the video is so overexposed I can barely make out anything, at the end after the finish the course goes under a trolly track overhead & you can see (still overexposed) the video.

This Motox (gen 1) has shot hundreds of perfectly exposed videos (on youtube) and also does video fine with Harry's Lap Timer. Both before and after the 3 runs I refer to. The screen is almost pure white except for data & audio is perfect.

Any idea/help on what happened?

Thanks.

PS When I did a test video in my neighborhood the exposure was fine.

Also, as to the data for gear selector, all runs were solid acceleration from a stop with a single 1-2 shift. One was fine & the other jumped to 2-3 skipping first gear. I know about the adjuster for what gear you are in, but it seems to me that with a manual shift car this should work flawlessly, I can see where automatic shift cars might be problematic, but a 6 speed stick should work every time.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-12-2015 at 12:16 PM.

TrackAddict should be operating the camera in automatic exposure mode, meaning that it would continually adapt to changes in the perceived lighting conditions. The first thing that comes to mind is that if the camera's view included a significant amount of darker areas (such as the vehicle's interior), then it may have adjusted the exposure based on that, causing the view out the windows to be over-exposed. The results of that can vary depending on camera hardware and the particular conditions at the time... Some cameras can handle that much better than others.

One test would be to start a video recording with TrackAddict and then move the camera between bright and dark areas, focusing on each for about 5 seconds... You should see the resulting video darken or lighten to adjust to the light level it is looking at. If it does, then it is working normally. If it doesn't, then evidently this particular device and camera is either not supporting auto-exposure, or is giving us an unusual default that doesn't enable it... I have not seen that happen, but not all Android hardware follows the norms or standards, so anything is possible. Just to be thorough, the next app update will include some additional code to help ensure that it's in the correct mode, when possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    TrackAddict should be operating the camera in automatic exposure mode, meaning that it would continually adapt to changes in the perceived lighting conditions. The first thing that comes to mind is that if the camera's view included a significant amount of darker areas (such as the vehicle's interior), then it may have adjusted the exposure based on that, causing the view out the windows to be over-exposed. The results of that can vary depending on camera hardware and the particular conditions at the time... Some cameras can handle that much better than others.

One test would be to start a video recording with TrackAddict and then move the camera between bright and dark areas, focusing on each for about 5 seconds... You should see the resulting video darken or lighten to adjust to the light level it is looking at. If it does, then it is working normally. If it doesn't, then evidently this particular device and camera is either not supporting auto-exposure, or is giving us an unusual default that doesn't enable it... I have not seen that happen, but not all Android hardware follows the norms or standards, so anything is possible. Just to be thorough, the next app update will include some additional code to help ensure that it's in the correct mode, when possible...
    I had it mounted on the windshield, same as always, lense pointing to bright sunny course. I think I may have messed up the automatic exposure control of the camera. I will test. Thank you.