Thread: Uninterpreted Text Data Field?

Tuner in Training

Uninterpreted Text Data Field?

Is there a way to place text straight from the datafile onto the video without it trying to parse the data into numbers? For example, I've got a CSV pre-processor that analyzes the speed data to locate local maxima and minima and then display these 'latched' speeds. Additionally, the CSV pre-processor analyses a reference lap and compares the latched speeds of the current lap to the referenced lap. Ideally, I'd like to display it as "MPH (deltaMPH)" and then disappear like it does in this sample video (in the speedo, bottom set of numbers). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrFYGA1-8Wo

I've currently got these values in 2 separate columns and then static text for the parens, but obviously those don't disappear.

I try putting this data in one column in the CSV as "MPH (deltaMPH)" but when I try to load the file it seems the hang (I give up after the Mac Beach Ball goes for 10 mins).

Any other ideas on how to get the latched speed and delta formatted the way I'm interested in with the appropriate appear/disappear?

Every cell in the data file is being parsed and stored numerically, so there's not a way to pass text fields through at this time.

Being that you seem to have control over what data is in the file, I would suggest populating your data column when you want the display to be shown, and then setting it to an arbitrary value like -99999 when you want the display to disappear... We could then script an Enhanced Display Object to simply show the number when it's above whatever threshold we set (based on the chosen arbitrary value).

I've put together a simple example display object to demonstrate that called "Text Data Dynamic", which can be downloaded from here: http://RaceRender.com/misc/Text%20Data%20Dynamic.rro (save it into your Documents -> RaceRender 3 -> Styles folder, and then it will appear when adding a new display object, under the Enhanced Display Objects if you scroll down). By default, that will show the chosen field's number value any time that it is zero or higher. Due to data interpolation, you'd want your chosen "invalid" value to be far away from the trigger level, so that it doesn't show invalid values when transitioning on/off; using -99999 should be a good choice in that case.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, but I should have been more clear. Actually, I see in the text data field it already has a threshold range that if I stay outside that range the text disappears, which is mostly what I am looking to do. See the end of the sample video where the 'data' portions of the text disappears for both fields. I guess my question is how can I get the display formatted with the parens to disappear entirely. In the Latch Speed Delta element there is a big text box in the config panel, but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the video (it defaults to 'text'). Was thinking if I added it to be '(text)' I might get the 'decoration' around the text data but alas that is not the case.

Ok, I see what you mean... That box containing the word "Text" will update if you change it and then click "Apply", and then it will appear in the actual display once you change the "Mode" to "Number & Text" or "Text & Number". The catch is that these will only add that text either before or after the number; there's no way to get that single display to apply something to both sides of the number at this time.

A trick to accomplish parenthesis on both sides would be to set it so that the text box contains "(" and the Mode is "Text & Number", and then add the closing parenthesis by duplicating that object (including its Input, Field, and selected Range settings) but set that one to ")" and its Mode to "Text". That second object should then show ")" at the same times when the first one shows "(number", so you could visually position it after the end of that.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. Almost perfect! Here is an updated video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOTqBK19cko

Note at 13s the 102.8 ends directly under the 8 of the live speed, but at 18s the 67.2 shifts to the left. For this field I have set alignment 'right' and pressed apply, but it still shifts to the left when the width changes. Clues?
    Last edited by leisurehound; 05-22-2015 at 02:53 PM.

The Left/Center/Right text alignment options often wont have much effect when the "Fix Box to Text" option is enabled, because it's shrinking the display area to contain only that text, negating most alignment effects. If you un-check that option box, you should find that the alignment options work more as expected, but you would need to manually choose your text box width and height (the default size tends to be slightly larger than needed), and reposition it after doing that.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks!...that works. Appreciate all the advice.