Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque reduction on stalled up launch

Tuner in Training

Torque reduction on stalled up launch

At the drags last night I noticed quite a reduction in power while stalled up on the line trying to launch. Is there a table in the ZF to reduce or remove this?

Also on a side note, is the indicated engine torque table tied in with the zf's shift characteristics somehow

Advanced Tuner
    Not an expert on either of these but look under the Transmission Torque table and at "Stall Time Limit". Mines standard and is set to reduce torque to ~90% by 3 seconds and down to ~10% by 12 seconds.

Yes indicated engine torque changes the shift characteristics. I had mine set at 500 ft-lb and the car was crap, vibrating under acceleration and with terrible shifts. Dropped it back to 405 lb/ft and she shifts real smooth and quicker.

Hiddeous, IH8TOADS or Jet will know a lot more about it. This is just what I have found by experimentation.
    Last edited by DarrylC; 05-31-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Tuner in Training
    stall.jpg Thanks DarrylC is this the table you were reffering to?

It has time at the top as an input value, but also time 0 to 5 seconds on the fixed horizontal axis.

0.0200000 is this a seconds value or a reduction value? Would setting this to 26 seconds give you 26 seconds of stall without reduction?
    Last edited by Sasha; 05-31-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Forgot pic

What your seeing is not related to the zf tuning

Look at engine torque management

And start clipping away.... I mean chipping away

FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    torque.jpg

Over here? What was Darryl referring to by stall time then?

Advanced Tuner
    The stall limit time will also give a similar result. It is actually what I messed up last time at the track. I'd flashed an early tune by mistake that has the stall limit time set to stock.
    As you try to build boost on the line it will close the throttle. From memory when I was racing mine stock many moons ago, I used to stall the car up in second gear then click first then let the car go.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Tuner in Training
    Yeah it seems like a bit of a grey area that nobody is really sure about. I emailed support and the response I got back was "I honestly do not know"

The stall limit time table is there for a reason and surely someone must know what the numbers correlate to. There are guys doing 1.6 60's and even less! Are they all stalling up in second gear then clicking first....

Advanced Tuner
    As I said I am no expert but I was able to stall the car up to about 3000rpm for quite a few seconds. Anyway we discussed some of this here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-in-AUS/page39

Hiddeous and I put up a couple of tunes which will give you some idea.

I have seen the stall time reduction set to 80% from 4000 rpm up so will be interested in your outcomes.

I will find out how it goes on Friday/Saturday at the AFF Drags

BTW: Is it a comment thing or do the 'Fuel Cut Torque Ratio" and "Spark Torque Ratio Limit" tables work differently. The comments say set to 0.0 to disable in Fuel Cut one and 1.0 in Spark.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks heaps for that Darryl!

I enabled torque module switch and raised the torque reduction and clip torque figures for trans trunc and viola!

I had previously removed the fuel cut and spark cut torque ratio but it seems the transmission truncation needed to go in the opposite direction rather than disabled.

Disable and torque module switch off must default the ZF into thinking there is a drama and applying the maximum torque reduction.

Your input got me sorted Did a quick test on the street and stalled to 3,000 before turning the tyres and boost was well up there!

Also thanks to Jet for pointing me away from the ZF stall time table
    Last edited by Sasha; 06-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Thanks heaps for that Darryl!

I enabled torque module switch and raised the torque reduction and clip torque figures for trans trunc and viola!

I had previously removed the fuel cut and spark cut torque ratio but it seems the transmission truncation needed to go in the opposite direction rather than disabled.

Disable and torque module switch off must default the ZF into thinking there is a drama and applying the maximum torque reduction.

Your input got me sorted Did a quick test on the street and stalled to 3,000 before turning the tyres and boost was well up there!

Also thanks to Jet for pointing me away from the ZF stall time table
    This statement is very true. Switching off the torque module is a very lazy cut and past method of tuning.
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Tuner in Training
    I was re-living / stuck in the BA days Hiddeous

Advanced Tuner
    Effects are just as bad in a BA. Considering the out of engine calcs based around torque it's madness to shut it off. My old ba would do some very odd things timing wise/fuel with the Trq Md shut off. Timing would drop coming onto boost and fuel would go lean on part throttle over run.

I tuned a ZF car that had the torque module shut off and would flare on a wo 1/2 and 3/4 shift. Trq Md back on a reduced trans shift and trans trunc on the spark side and not more flaring and perfect quick shifts.

Ford put it all in there for a reason!
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

No worries my pleasure

And people think I don't like helping others .......
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    No worries my pleasure

It's easy to throw a number out there, but to make someone stop and think about how they got that number......Are you sure your not a uni teacher Jet

no but ive taken many young lads from apprentice to tradesman and they hated everyday of it hahahahahaha

If you know an answer most definitely help people but never hand things to them as they will never appreciate the joy of working something out on their own

So ....... Post piks of the snapped tail shaft once u work out where it's max psi limit is :P

Advanced Tuner
    No worries my pleasure

Jet, you are a very helpful person in the most prevaricative and obfuscated manner

Potential Tuner
    Just wanted to thank you all for pointing me in the right direction for my turbo territory, was having the same problems and I made some small changes to the tables mentioned and re-enabled the torque switch. All I can say is it has made a huge improvement and shifts are back to being great. I am still new to HPT and Ford tuning (previously used another program on GM) but what I have learnt just from reading these forums the past month has been a great help, really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and making me learn at the same time.

Tuner in Training

So ....... Post piks of the snapped tail shaft once u work out where it's max psi limit is :P
    Pics? I'll be sending you the bill

Hahaha that's the spirit sasha !!

I got a few broken ones so we can piece a few back together lol

Advanced Tuner
    So just looked up a workshop tune.

For ETC Torque Reduction RPM vs Requestor
    Trans Trunc 6300
    TCS 6300
    Rpm Limit 6300
    Trans Shift 6300
    Rpm Guard 6300

For Clip Torque
    Trans Trunc 1023NM
    RPM Limit 1023
    Trans Shift 1023
    RPM Guard 1023

So basically this tuner just maxed out anything that could possibly cause torque reduction
    Last edited by turbotrana; 06-11-2015 at 09:20 PM.