Thread: Any plans for Sony external camera support?

Advanced Tuner

Any plans for Sony external camera support?

Just getting into this video overlay/datalogging stuff myself. The last few days I have been giving every app and program under the sun a test drive and my favorite setup is TrackAddict + RaceRender. Already bought RaceRender Ultimate... and am now waiting for an external GPS unit and OBD2 bluetooth dongle to get here in the mail.

Like the guy a couple threads below this one.. my phone camera has autofocus issues with fast moving scenes and makes the videos turn out horrible. Either way I already have a Sony HDR-AS100V action cam and would generally prefer to use that. Which leads me to the obvious question-- any plans to support the Sony line of cameras thru Wifi control? The only other app that I found that had support for it was Harry's...which works, but it also forces the camera into a 30 fps mode, which I thought was pretty annoying.

Love the app either way, just figured I would ask the question. Keep up the good work.

Yes, Sony WiFi control is something that I've been looking at and would like to add. Garmin VIRB camera control was very recently added in 2.9.5, and that brought about several changes and developments that would also be needed to control the Sony cameras, so that brings us a bit closer. The Sony camera control is a bit more involved to support than others, being that they have far more camera models to accommodate, but it's definitely on the radar...

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome, that's great to hear. Thanks for the quick reply. I just got the OBDLink MX OBD2 dongle in and it synced up perfectly between my 2003 Corvette Z06 and your app. External GPS gets here tomorrow.... will get to test this all out next week up at the tail of the dragon area- looking forward to it.

Potential Tuner
    I registered just to reply to this thread. I am desperately interested in this feature. I love your app, it is really almost perfect for autocross, but it is tedious to have to fuss around while staging the car with multiple devices. I've abandoned the GoPro system to move to Sony, as the cameras work for me better in every other way, and the wifi triggering from your app will seal the deal.

As a note - your main competitor's app - while it says it supports Sony action camera triggering, it is so frustratingly unreliable. You could differentiate yourselves even more just by adding this feature.

I have yet to see a Garmin device in the wild, I see many Sony cams......

Advanced Tuner
    I agree, I see more and more Sony's popping up out there. Great value IMO which is why I got mine. Still looking forward to this feature one day.

Advanced Tuner
    1 year bump. I am seeing more and more sony cams and I still have mine .