Thread: Cooling Fans

Cooling Fans

Looking to add electric fans to a Silverado HD 6.0
    It has an E78 ECU, and the option to control fans in the calibration.

Looking for an ECU pinout to control the fan relays.
    Can anyone help?

Tried the local dealership, and they gave me blank stares.

Tuner
    what year? Don't think it matters but I do need a year to look it up, lol.. I'll try to post a pic of my 13..

IGNORE MY POST>>> WRONG YEAR.. MINE IS AN E38 ECU.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tek1229; 06-02-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Connector X1 Pin 59 is the high speed fan control, PWM signal to the cooling fans.

Do you need a pin out picture?
    Last edited by ecotec88fiero; 06-02-2015 at 10:32 AM.

It's a 2015. And anything you guys can supply would be fantastic.
    Thank you!

Got to the ECU and J1, which is likely referenced as X1 as well, is a 56 pin plug.
    So, any ideas?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxses View Post
    Got to the ECU and J1, which is likely referenced as X1 as well, is a 56 pin plug.
    So, any ideas?
    I looked up wrong RPO for your vehicle so ya its not pin 59, that is for a different ECU.

Tuner in Training
    Alright, the Cruse 1.4L Turbo uses the E78 ECU I believe....correct me if I am wrong.

The cooling fan controls for that ECU are J1 or X1, pin 41 for cooling fan PWM control(low speed), and pin 54 for the high speed relay. The cooling fan motor gets three speeds based on a set of relays and 3 separate control wires. Not sure if this will work in your application or not.

Installed pins into those locations, and adjusted the calibration to operate, and no output. Must be something that's different here.
    They are both E78's. So I'm not sure the difference here....
    Tune attached to help verify.
    Open in beta...
    HC 05.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Installed pins into those locations, and adjusted the calibration to operate, and no output. Must be something that's different here.
    They are both E78's. So I'm not sure the difference here....
    Tune attached to help verify.
    Open in beta...
    HC 05.hpt
    What did you try to turn the fans on? Scanner controls?

Yeah, scanner controls, and the engine was also warm enough with it running.

Tuner
    Just want to check that your not checking for output from those wires, they ground to turn the fans on so try using a test light to battery to those wires to see if the test light lights up..

Looks like the 6.0L uses a mechanical fan? Can't find any kind of schematics for a 6.0L fan circuit? either in schematics or connector end view.. hopefully someone here has a fix.. Might try enabling fan control DTC's?

Tuner in Training
    Ya, how are you checking the output because the both are ground side controls from the PCM, one if just a switch to ground and the other is PWM ground side control.

Tek1229 is right as far as no schematics or electric can for the 6.0L.

Using a multimeter. No ground, and no change in resistance. Engine running or not.

I know there's no electric fan option on the 6.0L, but there's no E-85 options on vettes either. But that works, so I was trying this. If I can't get it to work, then I can use a controller. Just prefer the ECU controlling the fans.

Tuner in Training
    Just as a final check, try driving a relay with the high speed cooling fan pin.

If that is a no go then I am not sure at this point. What else uses an E78?

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys sorry to necropost, but I am struggling with the same issue. I did check this with an oscilloscope, and I can not get anything out of Pin 41 on the X1 connector of the E78 ECM. I did find an application that should work, which is a 2016 3500HD Suburban, and has a 6.0 with an electric fan, L96 with the E78 ECM. I cross referenced the ECM and the part # to the ECM of my 2016 GMC, and they share a common part #. Does anyone have access to the pinout manual for this year Suburban? It's a bit of an oddball, as the 3500HD was only intended for export and armored vehicle service by government agencies. I will likely have to buy a computer and flash it with the Suburban OS, then read it, and send it to HPT and see if they will support it.

Hey all,
    I just did a little write up of my 2012 L96 E78 ecm cooling fan process. Not sure if it will be much help to yall, but you can find it here... https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...326#post569326 .

96 Comp T/A,
    according to the schematic I was able to find from your make model year, it looks to me like J1 or as its called out in this diagram X1 Pin 41 is your ground side switch for fan relays on your ECM. Besides that I hope this schematic helps you out!

-Dan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Proxses, when you were using the scanner control, were you also monitoring to see if the ECM was commanding fan control?

My thought here is, if you are seeing that the ECM is commanding fan when you toggle the fans on scanner control panel then the computer is doing what it is supposed to, you just have to find where it is switching it at. I too had to do that on my build that I mentioned in the earlier post... I also went on the website I use for schematics and they did not have a pinout of your ECM, I am assuming its still a little too new for them to have ALL the info on it.... but what i did find was a 7 page schematic for the engine performance that calls out most of the pins for each of the 3 ECM connectors. I suppose if one wanted to get really carried away, you could check all the ones that have blanks to find out which one grounds if/ when the monitor changes from off to on after commanding it through the scanner controller.

Hopefully this helps,
    -Dan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Using a multimeter. No ground, and no change in resistance. Engine running or not.

I know there's no electric fan option on the 6.0L, but there's no E-85 options on vettes either. But that works, so I was trying this. If I can't get it to work, then I can use a controller. Just prefer the ECU controlling the fans.
    Try using a test light. It gives a better visual and actually will put the small load on the circuit similarly to a relay.