Thread: GMLAN / CAN sniffing for startup diagnostics?

Tuner in Training

GMLAN / CAN sniffing for startup diagnostics?

My '06 Solstice refuses to turn over following a new engine install (another LE5 out of a 2010 Malibu). (I pulled the engine and transmission as a unit, so clutch line was disconnected. Which may be relevant.)

I suspect that the clutch pedal position sensor is to blame, but haven't had a chance to crawl under the dash and play with it.

Question:

The car is acting exactly as if I was trying to start it without pushing the clutch pedal. However, it could be any number of things. I'd love to be able to see whatever network chatter is happening between the ECM, BCM, etc. to get an idea of *why* it won't start.

In the future: cars will have a little screen (gasp) where they'll display interesting messages, like "your clutch isn't down" or "I can't talk to the injectors."

Re: question title:

I have a CAN sniffer I built a few years ago, but am not really enthused about having to make a new cable for the car. Given that I have this Very Shiney HP Tuners gadget sitting here, it'd be great if I could use it to get some idea of what's going on.

Suggestions?

The scanner has status bit parameters that let you log these things.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...