Thread: MAF Adaptation

Tuner

MAF Adaptation

How many of you leave MAF adaptation turned off when you get your MAFs dialed in?

Right now I have LTFTs disabled and MAF adaptation. Running around 1-3% stfts. Thinking about just leaving it turned off.

Thanks
    2019 Ford Raptor Tow Rig Scarab 195 Open 250HO
    2008 Shelby GT500 VMP Gen II-R (17psi), JLT 123mm CAI, Ford SCJ Monoblade Throttle Body, 56# Injectors, BoostAPumps, VMP triple pass heat exchanger (dual fan), 170* thermostat, BBK long tube headers, Dual resonators, Magnaflow Catback, LC2 Wideband, RXT clutch

Tuner in Training
    I'm just going to bump this thread as I'm curious on this. Is Maf adaptation allowing the use of the STFT or LTFT? Right now I have it disabled.

Turn temp compensation off as well.

Advanced Tuner
    maf adaption applies half of the kam error to load correction.

The logic is that if the maf is off its not just fueling that needs corrected but airflow as well. Kams are a multiplier after airflow (load) is calculated. Maf adaption allows half that kam error to be applied to airflow so load is corrected too.

as long as you dial your tune in properly its not going to make any difference one way or the other
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Tuner in Training
    Does that apply to all driving conditions i.e. cruising and WOT? On the dyno it hit the target AFR with the current maf values.

I should also mention I have LTFT turned off.
    Last edited by Draven8795; 04-20-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    if kams are disabled then maf adaption cant function
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. I've actually been trying to pick through your writeups for info on the 2005+ mustangs. Now that i've tuned one I'm re-reading a lot of information and it's becoming clearly. Much different than a GM.

I activate the anticipation again after tune. The transient table seems to be dead, so there is always a lean spike during accel on afr meter.

Advanced Tuner
    anticipation has nothing to do with adaptation

if yu have inferred load dialed in and get a lean spike on quick throttle stabs you need to reduce the manifold volume scalar
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    if kams are disabled then maf adaption cant function

You are sure that it takes affect on LTFTs, but not STFTs?

Advanced Tuner
    yeah
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

did the anticipation correct / help maf to get faster ?

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    maf adaption applies half of the kam error to load correction.

The logic is that if the maf is off its not just fueling that needs corrected but airflow as well. Kams are a multiplier after airflow (load) is calculated. Maf adaption allows half that kam error to be applied to airflow so load is corrected too.

as long as you dial your tune in properly its not going to make any difference one way or the other
    Hi I'm new to forums & tuning. I have been studying this as well. IMHO, MAF Adaption could be of some benefit during low-speed RPM operations during CL where the PCM will also be performing EVAP operations where the LTFT's will be affected thru STFT's picking up the unmetered air entry during purge cycles, thus by MAF Adaption enabled taking 1\2 of the avg LTFT's & applying it thru the MAF multi to the load% calcs (TQ\VE) should improve low speed TQ output during accel vs MAF Adaption disabled. Yes, the amounts will usually be small if all else is sound but IMHO any extra lb\ft of TQ gain is a benefit thus kinda validates enabling it.

Or am I just being a noob here & am overthinking this?

Any info given is appreciated!
    Last edited by GlassRoofStang; 03-03-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassRoofStang View Post
    Hi I'm new to forums & tuning. I have been studying this as well. IMHO, MAF Adaption could be of some benefit during low-speed RPM operations during CL where the PCM will also be performing EVAP operations where the LTFT's will be affected thru STFT's picking up the unmetered air entry during purge cycles, thus by MAF Adaption enabled taking 1\2 of the avg LTFT's & applying it thru the MAF multi to the load% calcs (TQ\VE) should improve low speed TQ output during accel vs MAF Adaption disabled. Yes, the amounts will usually be small if all else is sound but IMHO any extra lb\ft of TQ gain is a benefit thus kinda validates enabling it.

Or am I just being a noob here & am overthinking this?

Any info given is appreciated!
    2015+ all run closed loop except for cold starting. Turn adaption forces open loop which shuts off any adjust the computer can make in general, and allow the calibrator to use STFT to get the MAF transfer within the 3-5% for part throttle tuning. Once Part throttle tuning is complete you can turn adaption back on and dial in WOT. Since 2015+ come with Widebands from the factory you can use LTFT plus STFT together and make adjustments to MAF transfer function. ever turner has a method to how they want to tune. if you research the How to logs there is a great references.

Advanced Tuner
    adaptives can't update while evap is purging

yeah big time over thinking it
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    2015+ all run closed loop except for cold starting. Turn adaption forces open loop which shuts off any adjust the computer can make in general, and allow the calibrator to use STFT to get the MAF transfer within the 3-5% for part throttle tuning. Once Part throttle tuning is complete you can turn adaption back on and dial in WOT. Since 2015+ come with Widebands from the factory you can use LTFT plus STFT together and make adjustments to MAF transfer function. ever turner has a method to how they want to tune. if you research the How to logs there is a great references.
    Forgot to mention that I'm working w\ a Spanish Oaks PCM for 05-10 S197 so my bad.