Thread: 2015 Camaro L99 extreme timing pulls during power downshifts

Potential Tuner

2015 Camaro L99 extreme timing pulls during power downshifts

I have a 2015 L99, and during power downshifts shifts the motor pulls all of the timing for several seconds and the car just sits there before getting moving. I've tried setting spark min tqmgt to 0 across the board and it helps a little bit, but I don't want to set that too high for fear of stressing the hardware too much. I'm sure there's a reason this timing is getting pulled and I don't want to just brute force a fix.

Here's the data log file with the issue I'm experiencing. https://cloud.cent.betaforce.com/ind...LN2ARHlKTzpcsl

There are four full throttle pulls in this datalog where it occurs, and it seems that the ECU overrides my throttle to 40% halfway through each hard pull that exhibits the issue, at which point power starts coming back. The pulls that exhibit the issue start at 00:07:21.72, 00:08:26.47, 00:11:05.74, and 00:11:23.38.

This only seems to occur when requesting a lot of power while simultaneously changing lanes either left or right. I have not been able to replicate it without the lane change. The pulls in the datalog aside from the four mentioned below didn't exhibit the issue and didn't happen during a lane change. It seems the combination of lane change while requesting a power downshift causes this problem to manifest, which makes me think it might be a mechanical problem, or as Phil from Tampa Tuning suggested, low transmission fluid from the factory. Does that sound like a possibility?

I really appreciate any input you guys may have!

Senior Tuner
    Lots of throttle and steering input resulting in power reduction? Sounds like stability control to me.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    go to trans, and torque management/power downshift to disable and try
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra View Post
    Lots of throttle and steering input resulting in power reduction? Sounds like stability control to me.
    Stabilitrak was my first thought when it first happened, but since I've been able to reproduce it, the Stabilitrak indicator hasn't come on while reproducing it so I don't think it's stability control.

I emailed a few well respected Camaro performance shops with the symptoms + datalog and they all independently came back to me saying "Top off your transmission fluid", so I'm going to try that... will report back, maybe it's not a tune problem at all.

Potential Tuner
    Thought I'd update you guys in case anyone stumbles across this and is curious what was up. It's a mechanical problem within the transmission, specifically related to how it performs skip via neutral downshifts. I've disabled skip via neutral downshifts temporarily and the problem's completely gone. We did some more in depth datalogging and found the transmission to be slipping very badly during the skip via neutral downshifts. I'm going to have the transmission rebuilt and slap a better torque converter on there and hopefully that resolves it permanently. The timing pulls and such were just a red herring.