Thread: A few questions for the experts!

Advanced Tuner

A few questions for the experts!

I've been looking more and more into the engine portion of my tune after spending a lot of time on the transmission side. I have a few questions that I'm hoping the experts can help with (go easy on my, I'm a noob!!!):

1. Power Enrichment. It's my understanding that bringing this on earlier is 'safer" than bringing it on later. But can bringing it on too soon be "dangerous"? What happens if you're giving the engine too much fuel due to PE?

2. Max Torque vs. Peak Torque. I can't seem to wrap my brain around these parameters. While you can specifically set the Peak Torque in my ECM (E39) and it's my understanding that it should NOT be mxed out, what about Max Torque? When logging, I noticed that my delivered Torque is somtimes higher than my Max Torque - how can that be? Is there any way to "tune" the max torque?

3. Fast Torque Exit - can anyone explain this one ot me? What effect does it have on drivability? Why would you want or not want Fast Torque Exit enabled?

Thank you in advance!

Tuner in Training
    I cant answer 2 and 3, but I have been bringing in PE earlier with good results, not having any issues with it so far, I have mine set to come in at 1800+ RPMs and 60% or more of throttle.
    2012 Camaro 2LS IOM
    Mods: -CAI cold air intake -MRT V2 exhaust
    -Custom tune done by Myself with HP Tuners
    -Oracle Fog light kit for 2LS -HID headlights
    -Heritage grille-Phastek flat black ZL1 replica rims on Nitto invos (285/30R20) -Eibach pro kit lowering springs
    -Stoptech Stainless Braided brake lines -Stoptech Slotted and Drilled rotors -Hawk HPS pads
    -VMAX ported TB -Magnaflow resonated x-pipe (with Cat and Resonator delete) -Elite Catch can
    -Quad tips/1LE Rear Diffuser

Can't answer question 2.

Question 1: I drive a 4cyl ecotec, which has no PE delay. The risk with my car lies in the abuse my transmission goes through. I have a very aggressive timing map, so my transmission gets abused pretty badly. At sea level I can burn the tires through the entirety of first gear. Fidgeting with PE to my knowledge isn't as dangerous on a NA car as it is on a turbo/SC car.

Question 3: "Fast torque exit" is something used to prevent your car from surging forward on blip downshifts. I disabled mine, which has made no discernible difference in daily driving.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the replies - I really appreciate the help!

Regarding PE - PE basically just richens the fuel mixture, correct? My stock tune doesn't bring PE on until 95% Torque and 90% pedal - my mailorer tune, on the other hand is setup for 15% Torque and 40% pedal. Just want to make sure my mailorder tune isn't making things too rich, too early. Is the goal of PE to increase the power to the wheels? Is it possible to cause issues if you bring it on too early? Also not sure if the engine being direct injected plays a part in this at all (like I said, I'm a noob!!).

Thanks again for the replies!

PE is power enrichment mode. This is usually and depending on the pcm version used to make updated decisions on specific maps. In most cases it is the timing and fuel delivery. PE mode is only one part of the equation. The other part is your fuel and timing modified when PE mode is entered. Can PE mode be dangerous, theoretically it can depending on the fuels and timing you are requesting. IE if PE mode does not supply enough fuel you could be lean. if you PE mode applies more timing that the current load, fuel / air can support you could have detonation. So it all plays in together. I like to bring it in a little lower and tune it. However I do a little more boosted applications then N/A. Im still learning but this is what I know so far.

Hope this helps