Thread: Race render transfer from iPhone 4

Potential Tuner

Race render transfer from iPhone 4

Hi,

Having trouble transferring since a recent upgrade.

The iphone capture shows

staging 1:28.768
    Segment 3:44.435

and the video works on the iphone but when I transfer it takes quite a while then completes but only shows around 12s of the staging then finishes.

What should I be checking??

Regards

BW69

Assuming that you are using the Windows version of RaceRender, the quick answer is that it could be resolved by installing Apple's free QuickTime 7 Player for Windows, and then using the regular version of RaceRender (not 64-bit).

I've seen something like this before, but it has been quite a long time since getting any new reports of it. What was happening was that there was some issue between the Microsoft video decoder that we use on Windows, and videos encoded by older iPhones and/or iOS versions. Those cases were around the time that most people were using the iPhone 4 and iOS 5 or 6, but it couldn't be replicated to determine which one was the source of the issue. The decoding problem seemed to be happening on Windows 7 particularly, although 8/8.1 didn't have enough users to be able to rule it out. In any case, when QuickTime is installed, the regular 32-bit version of RaceRender can use those Apple decoders to open the video, and it will try to automatically try to do that when it detects that the Microsoft decoder is coming up a bit short.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, but where can I get the 32bit version from?

It's included... When you install RaceRender on Windows 7 or higher, there will be two program icons: the default "RaceRender 3" one is the 32-bit version, and the 64-bit version is called "RaceRender 3 (64-bit)".

Potential Tuner
    Hi, Thanks found it and tried it with the same error, I get the full data but only 12s of video. I'm going to attempt a re-install but I remember something about the license is there an issue with this?

The license shouldn't matter... This looks to either be a decoder problem, or something with the video file itself. One test would be to open the video file with a regular video player and see if that reports the full length or not... If you had WiFi transferred it to RaceRender, then it would be stored in your user Documents -> RaceRender 3 folder.

If other players are saying it's only 12 seconds, then apparently the recording ended prematurely (could happen if the iPhone ran out of space), or there's some chance that there was a problem with the transfer to your computer, although that usually results in larger problems.

If the other players say that it's longer than 12 seconds, then it would seem that RaceRender just isn't detecting that it should use QuickTime to open it, or something else is preventing that from happening, such as a bad QuickTime installation. As a workaround for that, you could try going to RaceRender's File menu, going into "Media Libraries", and then un-checking "Media Foundation". Closing and re-opening the video file after that point should then use QuickTime... If that fails to open the video, then there's some problem with the QuickTime installation. If it succeeds but shows 12 seconds, then the problem is the video file itself. Otherwise, it should then work.

Potential Tuner
    Hi, its def in the transfer as the iphone plays the whole video and its the way I have transferred it via itunes with the gauges in the video already. I'm going to put the install on a new laptop to try that but if you have any ideas!! Thanks all

Potential Tuner
    Bump on this and added more details in the trackaddict forum