Thread: Audio ringing with my GoPro video

Potential Tuner

Audio ringing with my GoPro video

Hey folks, have a problem using Race Render with video from my GoPro Hero 3+ Black and my RaceCapture/Pro v2 data logger. The audio from the video file when played in RaceRender 3.1.7 has a high pitched ringing noise that is constant. This doesn't play when the media is played in other players. My only solution for this is to render the file with data in RaceRender, then strip the audio, use audio software to find and filter the specific frequencies of the ringing, then re-merge the audio to the video. Very time consuming and painful, and honestly not something I want to deal with when this audio problem shouldn't exist. This happened with RaceRender 2 as well (I first noticed it last year but figured out the aformentioned workflow as a workaround and never thought to bring it up here).

Anyone know of a solution for this?

We normally see good results from GoPro footage... This is probably just an effect of the audio rate being resampled for the preview. Sometimes subtle or imperceptible distortions or clicks in the recorded audio become much more apparent when resampled or reencoded.

If you click the "Preview Setup" button, you can choose another audio rate, which should have different results. If you are experiencing this type of thing with the output video, the audio rate can be changed for that as well, on the "Create Video" screen. That option may be limited to just a choice between 44kHz or 48kHz, depending on the output video format being used.

Potential Tuner
    That was it! Wow, thank you. I knew that my long drawn out process could be replaced with clicking a radio button somewhere

I ended up switching from the default 22khz to 48khz audio, in both the preview as well as the output video, and that solved it. Wonderful! You just got yourself a paying customer