Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting a GoPro camera

Potential Tuner
    Hi,

I'm also trying to get my GoPro 3+ to work with TrackAddict. The app is on a Samsung Galaxy 5, all apps and the OS (Android) are up to date.

I have installed the GoPro app and it connects and controls the camera without issue.

The TrackAddict ExtCam box continually shows the red lettering and red X. Right now I have Video on, does it have to be off?

Its not clear whether there are additional steps necessary to get the devices to communicate.

Thanks

-Eric
    Last edited by boudy; 06-25-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I think that video on is if you plan to video with the Galaxy device. I have that setting to off on my iphone and I am able to get the extcam and a battery symbol both green if the gopro wifi is on. Then when i tap the record icon, it will go blue and the camera records when the phone detects motion.

Potential Tuner
    There must be something different with the 4...

The app's main "Video" setting relates to the use of the device's built-in camera, and that operates independently of External Camera Control (ie GoPro), so one wont affect the other.

The GoPro support was developed for the 3 and 3+ models, and it appears that there's now a different protocol being used for the GoPro 4's, so that's on the to-do list. I expect that the new HERO+ LCD model will be a similar story, and I'm hoping that it uses the same protocol so we that can get two birds with one stone here... One potential complication is that they both seem to be using Bluetooth in some way, apparently in addition to WiFi, so that part could be a bit more involved to figure out.

Potential Tuner
    well I'll be standing by eagerly waiting!

Tuner in Training
    GoPro has a smart remote that claims to operate both the 3 and 4 series. Since they are claiming a 600 ft range and the ability to control up to 50 cameras, I think it might be wifi. Who in the world would want to start 50 cameras at the same time? I can barely manage two at the same time.

http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/sm....html#/start=1

Weston, maybe getting one of these will help you find out how they are controlling.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry I should have stated that I'm using the GoPro 3+ Silver. Any diagnostics or anything else to try?

Tuner in Training
    can you connect to the camera wifi with the GoPro app? it is a free download. If you haven't already done so, download the gopro app and establish connection to the camera with that app. Then, after you name the camera, it will produce a secure wifi signal. Go back through this post to a previous thread about establishing wifi comm. That is what I have to do before I can connect through TrackAddict.

Potential Tuner
    Yes I did install the GoPro app and it connects and controls the camera.

I did miss this though:

"Now each time you want to connect to the camera via wifi, you have to go to your phone settings menu and select the wifi the camera is transmitting. "

Odd that this isn't necessary for the GoPro app. I'll give a try shortly.

Thanks.
    Last edited by boudy; 06-25-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well, maybe I am making an extra step. I will give a try to not going to settings to see what happens.

I think I have to connect through settings wake up the wifi connection to get either Trackaddict or GoPro to talk to the camera. My next time out is Monday/Tuesday at VIR. I'll report how everything works after those track days.

After the patch that Weston made to the iPhone app, TrackAddict worked well in segment mode, starting up the camera and starting record when car movement is detected. The wifi button on the camera has to be pressed and get a blue light, then, settings>wifi> select the camera in the iPhone. Android may be different, I don't know.

Just a little update... It looks like we'll have support for controlling the HERO 4 and HERO+ LCD in the next app update. I have some more testing to do here this week, but the new HERO+ appears to be working well with our new code, and it looks like the HERO 4 uses that same protocol.

July 7th update: This version (3.0) is was made available for Android late last night, and is expected to be released on iOS within about a week (just waiting for the usual Apple review).
    Last edited by Weston@HPTuners; 07-07-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Updated

Potential Tuner
    Just starting using track addict with my GoPro Here 3+, iOS 12.1.4, dual xgps 160, Kiwi3 OBDII and having issues with it either not starting the gopro or stopping part way through my session. Each session I start with a fully blank SD with 16gb free and run circuit mode and see all is green upon getting to the grid, I hear and see that the GoPro camera turns on (at least for 3 of my 4 sessions) as I start moving and then anywhere between 3 and 7 minutes in, it just stops recording. The data keeps going for the full session, but the GoPro stops. In my first session it started back up again and I got another 3 minutes, but still only got about 5 minutes total of the 20 minutes. Any suggestions on what could cause this? Also, I am open to upgrading to a newer GoPro if it would be more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by azjmc View Post
    Just starting using track addict with my GoPro Here 3+, iOS 12.1.4, dual xgps 160, Kiwi3 OBDII and having issues with it either not starting the gopro or stopping part way through my session. Each session I start with a fully blank SD with 16gb free and run circuit mode and see all is green upon getting to the grid, I hear and see that the GoPro camera turns on (at least for 3 of my 4 sessions) as I start moving and then anywhere between 3 and 7 minutes in, it just stops recording. The data keeps going for the full session, but the GoPro stops. In my first session it started back up again and I got another 3 minutes, but still only got about 5 minutes total of the 20 minutes. Any suggestions on what could cause this? Also, I am open to upgrading to a newer GoPro if it would be more stable.
    TrackAddict will issue the command to start recording on the GoPro, and then it will monitor its status during the session, and will restart recording if it detects that it had stopped. So it sounds like the recording on the camera stopped somehow and then TrackAddict was able to restart it later. I can't say why the camera would have stopped recording on you, but the first things I'd check are that no other apps are trying to control the GoPro at the time, nothing is physically resting against any of its buttons (if there's a case on it, make sure those buttons are good shape), and that the SD card is of a sufficient speed class and is in good working order. You might try swapping out the SD card with another one to see if that helps. I don't have any reason to believe that a 3+ would be less stable, other than maybe wear & tear from its age, but most newer GoPros should work too (although we have not tested the 7 yet).

Potential Tuner

Reopening this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Thank you for the detailed information. I was able to reproduce the problem here and have confirmed that it appears to be a bug in the app, which affects different devices differently (or not at all), and may be specific to the iOS version of our app. I'm working on finding the root cause and developing a solution right now, and will release an update as soon as possible. Unfortunately, it does tend to take several days to get through Apple's review and out to users, so we'll mainly just be waiting on that...

As for the "Failed to start video recording!" message, that one is related to using the iPhone's internal camera for video, and it tends to happen when either it had not been granted the necessary permission (microphone and camera), or possibly in some cases when it is out of storage space.
    I have an 11 Pro Max Vs 14.4.2 and the app is Vs 4.6.3, trying to connect a Go Pro Hero 8 Black (last season it worked fine), this season I have a yellow blinking light and the app doesn't connect to the camera at all. Any suggestions?

Tuner in Training
    GP cameras above 6 are a bit of a challenge to stay connected. GP started using a combo of BT and WiFi with the 5s and up to connect the devices and it plays havoc with stability. 6 and over are almost impossible to keep connected. It is recommended you manually start the camera and sync the data to the video in RaceRender. Not ideal but seems to be the case both with TrackAddict and Harry's LapTimer. My GP 5 Black is hit and miss so I do the manual method using voice or one touch button setup so I don't miss a session. Voice is good if I remember before the car starts. As you can see, not a ideal setup. But its a pretty cheap data log setup that with practice works remarkably well.

Potential Tuner
    This thread and the lack of stable connection made me look for another camera manufacturer. I ended up buying an SJCAM SJ6 Legend (4K video, gyro stabilization, wifi, ability to use external mic). So far it works perfect and starts and stops just as you expect. You can also make a combo charge/mic cable so that you do not have to worry about running out of battery.