Thread: Clutch Position Relearn - E37

Potential Tuner

Clutch Position Relearn - E37

**EDIT** - After posting the information below, I have a more basic question - should the clutch position sensor Raw data read low when the clutch pedal is all the way out or when it is pressed in? I still may have the sensor wired incorrectly, which would explain the issues described below. Thanks!

Howdy. I have a standalone conversion with a 2008 Cobalt 2.4L in a VW Bus and I need help with the clutch position relearn. Basically, I have a clutch position sensor set up using a modified GM TPS attached to the clutch pedal. When I initially installed it, the ECU immediately learned the "in" and "out" positions. Unfortunately, I had the wiring wrong and now "in" is 0 and clutch "out" is 100 (those aren't the exact numbers but you get the idea). I have fixed the polarity on the sensor and my raw clutch position number shows that it is working properly, but I can't get the ECU to abandon the old numbers and relearn the correct position.

I've tried the "Clutch In Position Learn" button about 100 times in multiple configurations and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have the E37 ECU. Any ideas how I can get it to forget the current clutch position programming and relearn the new settings? Thanks!
    Last edited by Dynamite_Goat; 06-12-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Potential Tuner
    This may help. Here's the clutch "out" position:

Here's the clutch "in" position:

Note the Raw values and where the ECU thinks the position is. With the raw value at 70%, the ECU thinks its at 0%. When the raw value is at 5%, the ECU thinks its at 100%. Any ideas on how to correct this?
    Last edited by Dynamite_Goat; 06-12-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    There must not be a large number of us that try to hook the clutch position switch up in a swap. I have the switch in place, but I can't find the "CLUTCH LEARN" button. It may be in the VCM Control section, Transmssion. I'm going back to the shop to see if I can find it. :-(
    Last edited by sprinto7; 06-22-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinto7 View Post
    There must not be a large number of us that try to hook the clutch position switch up in a swap. I have the switch in place, but I can't find the "CLUTCH LEARN" button. I may be in the VCM Control section, Transmssion. I'm going back to the shop to see if I can find it. :-(
    OK, I got the Clutch pedal learn button to activate, but I haven't got the switch to learn correctly. I've never seen one of these "switches" in the native state. Mine is from a 2015 Chevy Cruze, and mine is being used with a Trax engine and a and a T5 transmission. The switch itself is operated by a manual linkage incorporating two levers to get the switch to travel some what the same rotation I image the original switch rotates.
    I get 3 separate types of failures. Fail high, fail low, or fail in motion. I will go to an independent shop tomorrow to see it they can help me under stand how they use the Teck II to make the adjustment.

Advanced Tuner
    OK, I got the Clutch pedal learn button to activate, but I haven't got the switch to learn correctly. I've never seen one of these "switches" in the native state. Mine is from a 2015 Chevy Cruze, and mine is being used with a Trax engine and a and a T5 transmission. The switch itself is operated by a manual linkage incorporating two levers to get the switch to travel some what the same rotation I image the original switch rotates.
    I get 3 separate types of failures. Fail high, fail low, or fail in motion. I will go to an independent shop tomorrow to see it they can help me under stand how they use the Teck II to make the adjustment.
    OK, I got my switch to "learn" and operate correctly. My switch is attached to an E78, but the setup is with a RWD Trax 1.4 turbo engine and an inline T5 transmission so NOTHING is standard. I broke the first switch by having too much travel on the switch lever. The second switch needed less travel than I thought it would, actually around 40 degrees or less. Once the travel was centered on that travel, I just held the pedal on the floor, held the Clutch pedal learn button down till it changed color, turned the ignition switch off, let pedale up, turned ignition switch back on and logged. The switch shows passed, values go up and down. Pedal shows pressed/up. All appears to be good.

Tuner in Training
    OK, I got my switch to "learn" and operate correctly. My switch is attached to an E78, but the setup is with a RWD Trax 1.4 turbo engine and an inline T5 transmission so NOTHING is standard. I broke the first switch by having too much travel on the switch lever. The second switch needed less travel than I thought it would, actually around 40 degrees or less. Once the travel was centered on that travel, I just held the pedal on the floor, held the Clutch pedal learn button down till it changed color, turned the ignition switch off, let pedale up, turned ignition switch back on and logged. The switch shows passed, values go up and down. Pedal shows pressed/up. All appears to be good.
    Button does not change color on my screen when holding down. What is the procedure??

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by coryk View Post
    Button does not change color on my screen when holding down. What is the procedure??
    This is KIND of Funny. Here it is 6 months later. I changed the size of the master cylinder. Now I can't remember how to set it. I'll go try it again.

I must be losing my mind, I can NOT get it to work.
    Last edited by sprinto7; 06-19-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner

Clutch position learn procedure

This is KIND of Funny. Here it is 6 months later. I changed the size of the master cylinder. Now I can't remember how to set it. I'll go try it again.

I must be losing my mind, I can NOT get it to work.
    There must be a write up of this procedure somewhere.
    In my 2015 Trax RWD standalone swap, using the Trax E78 ECM with tune based off a Sonic Manual transmission ECM tune "write entire" I can find a DIAGNOSTIC button by having ignition switch ON, engine NOT running, Scanner, (Vehicle connected),****EDIT***FIRST set up these CHANNELS to log. Clutch pedal POS (%), Clutch learn status (Pass/Fail), Clutch IN learned Pos (%),Clutch Out Learned Pos (%), Clutch Pedal Depressed (YES/NO), Clutch Pedal Raw (%). NOW you will have a log of what is happening. You will have to save this "LAYOUT" so you can use it later. With the ignition off, depress clutch pedal all the way. turn on ignition, start scanner, under vehicle select Controlled diagnostics & Special Functions, select "Transmission", displayed there are several "boxes" half way down the screen will be "Clutch Pedal MAX Pos" with Touch screen select and hold that button till it high lights, OR, changes color. That SHOULD change clutch learned status to PASS. OR, it means I am wrong. :-( Feel free to make corrections, this is very confusing. There is a post on this Forum about calling HPT while you are attached to the vehicle and ready to try this. Make sure you are out side in fresh air while you wait on hold. :-)

PS I am NOT a qualified TUNER. I have only worked on my GM 1.4 turbo standalone conversions. I'm working on number 3 now.
    Last edited by sprinto7; 06-23-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: corrections and updates