Thread: VATS Removal 2011 3.6 Liter V6 Camaro Engine

VATS Removal 2011 3.6 Liter V6 Camaro Engine

Allow me to give some background so the question can be answered with all things up front. I removed the engine, transmission, and wiring system from the 2011 Camaro to use in a project car. Once I installed everything and hooked everything up, I realized that I would need to eliminate the VATs. Initially I tried another solution which I later found out disabled the automatic transmission, so that wasn't going to work. After more research on my part, I found that the Bosch ECU that came with the Camaro originally, cannot have the VATS disabled using HP tuners or if you do have it done (using the other solution I found) it is only good if you are using a manual transmission , which of course I found.

Doing some more research though, I came across a possible solution and I would like to know if I am wrong. I understand that the 2013 V6 Camaro does not use the Bosch ECU, rather it uses and AC/Delco unit. So I am thinking of looking for another donor car, 2013 V6, and removing the ECU and wiring harness from it.

There are two things I would like to know. Are there any pitfalls for taking the 2013 ECU (a Delco ECU) and wiring harness and using it (such as transmission actually working this time)? Also, will I be able to use HP Tuners to remove the VATS from this ecu now and keep everybody happy?

Some more information on the car I am building. I am not using any of the CAN lines to communicate with the dash or anything like that. I am strictly using it to run the engine and control the transmission.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by midmichmicrotech View Post
    Allow me to give some background so the question can be answered with all things up front. I removed the engine, transmission, and wiring system from the 2011 Camaro to use in a project car. Once I installed everything and hooked everything up, I realized that I would need to eliminate the VATs. Initially I tried another solution which I later found out disabled the automatic transmission, so that wasn't going to work. After more research on my part, I found that the Bosch ECU that came with the Camaro originally, cannot have the VATS disabled using HP tuners or if you do have it done (using the other solution I found) it is only good if you are using a manual transmission , which of course I found.

Doing some more research though, I came across a possible solution and I would like to know if I am wrong. I understand that the 2013 V6 Camaro does not use the Bosch ECU, rather it uses and AC/Delco unit. So I am thinking of looking for another donor car, 2013 V6, and removing the ECU and wiring harness from it.

There are two things I would like to know. Are there any pitfalls for taking the 2013 ECU (a Delco ECU) and wiring harness and using it (such as transmission actually working this time)? Also, will I be able to use HP Tuners to remove the VATS from this ecu now and keep everybody happy?

Some more information on the car I am building. I am not using any of the CAN lines to communicate with the dash or anything like that. I am strictly using it to run the engine and control the transmission.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!
    How did this turn out? I'm working on a 2011 Camaro, and I don't see any VATS delete option.

Quote Originally Posted by pontisteve View Post
    How did this turn out? I'm working on a 2011 Camaro, and I don't see any VATS delete option.
    Wow, been a long time. Unfortunately I never was able to successfully disable the VATS and eventually shelved the project. Good luck to you, I hope you have better luck than I did