Thread: please help with idle surge only at slowing down to a stop, also rich lean,switch ?

Tuner

please help with idle surge only at slowing down to a stop, also rich lean,switch ?

car never had surge.. replaced lifters and found a vacuum leak on intake I had missed during original install.. fixed leak.. now has surge only on decel .. seems to start at 30mph and goes until 0mph then clears up if car hasn't died by then.. ive tried about every map I can think of in that area with no help.. so if you see something out of place chances are I have tried this and didn't fix it.. lol but any help would be appreciated.. car idles great just sitting in gear and in park

how can I change how much the rich lean swing is during idle and driving.. it does 15.2ish to 14.2ish during normal cruise on wideband.. you can feel car nose over when it swings lean it doesn't do this during ve and maf tuning so im assuming the trims are swinging it too far.. I have done wbltft and wbmaf tuning but maf needs to be done again because of few changes to cold air setup.. but is still close..

car is
    6.0 lq4
    ls6 intake with truck cable tb and truck mass air
    cam is 571 lift 224/228 276/282
    headers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    67 camaro 6.0lq4 turbo build in process
    89 mustang coupe ls1 80mmturbo, holley dominator efi on e85
    02 lexus is300 lq4, cam,headers,fast 92 intake
    and no there isnt anything in my yard unmodified

Sounds like you don't have a VSS installed.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

From your writeup I would surmise your closed throttle idle/rolling settings have to be off as a result of the fixed vacumn leak. I would redo your idle tuning (LT/STIT, IAC settings, Desired air ect.) to start with by logging IAC steps and the other idle related PID's supported by your PCM/OS. Initially get the IAC counts at hot idle to like 40-60. You may have to lower your Desired Air as you make these adjustments. Surging is usually a result of excess fueling and by fixing the vacumn leak you should have richened the idle (as wll as off idle) AFR which was tuned using unmetered air.

Another tip, if you get the idle all zero'd in at 0 mph and you still have problems with decel, you may have to tweak the Throttle Cracker table to add or pull air in the area's you are having problems.

Ed M

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner
    it does have the vss working..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    Sounds like you don't have a VSS installed.

Tuner
    ok thanks ill do some logging on way home with those pid
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    From your writeup I would surmise your closed throttle idle/rolling settings have to be off as a result of the fixed vacumn leak. I would redo your idle tuning (LT/STIT, IAC settings, Desired air ect.) to start with by logging IAC steps and the other idle related PID's supported by your PCM/OS. Initially get the IAC counts at hot idle to like 40-60. You may have to lower your Desired Air as you make these adjustments. Surging is usually a result of excess fueling and by fixing the vacumn leak you should have richened the idle (as wll as off idle) AFR which was tuned using unmetered air.

Another tip, if you get the idle all zero'd in at 0 mph and you still have problems with decel, you may have to tweak the Throttle Cracker table to add or pull air in the area's you are having problems.

Ed M

Ed M

Tuner
    idle log, does bad at the end of log .. I wish it always did it. would be easier to pin down.. ill mess with when it cools down outside... any thing from this log stand out?
    Attached Files Attached Files