Thread: 2005 Ram rolling idle

Tuner in Training

2005 Ram rolling idle

I pulled the file from a 2005 Ram 5.7 that is attached here.. It was not originally supported which I sent it to Hptuners support to have it added. I made a few adjustments with the shift points and shift tq reduction. After the flash the truck had a rolling idle along with an abs and brake light which it did not have before and after 5 min of driving the speedo would go dead. I returned the vehicle back to stock with a full write to both the engine and transmission side still with a rolling idle abs and brake light on.

My concern is the file which was not originally supported is 550KB and in the repository a stock 2005 Ram is 551KB. I don't know if the file was maybe corrupted from the get go. However when I tried to flash a repository file in it wanted me to use two more licenses on the same vehicle. Im trying to understand that on the Dodge stuff Hptuners licensing based on a calibration instead of a vehicle?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I saw a check sum error come up, i have seen this on 330c and chargers, read just the engine side and flash only that. As far as i know the transmission part doesn't work that is where the checksum error comes from. If you have flashed the transmission that is most likely the issue.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by etm351 View Post
    I saw a check sum error come up, i have seen this on 330c and chargers, read just the engine side and flash only that. As far as i know the transmission part doesn't work that is where the checksum error comes from. If you have flashed the transmission that is most likely the issue.

Yeah they updated it where I can open it and edit now. But I have flashed both so if the file was corrupted from the bad checksum I'm kinda stuck because my stock calibration is not good from what I'm thinking. I found a file on the repository that looks like it's a newer file but wants me to use two more licenses which it's going in a vehicle I used 2 on already.

Tuner
    well someone with a tool that can flash them both back to factory would work. Then read it again and see if there are any errors. That is the best thing, depending on where you are someone may have a tool that can do it. Or worse case dealer.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah that's kinda where my next option was. He has to do to the dealer for a recall hopeful they will update it. If not I'll have to burn two more if hptuners support can give me a good stock calibration. If the dealer flashes it I'm sure it will change the OS on it anyways and have to use 2 credits.

Tuner in Training
    here is a the file I pulled from the repository that when opened had no checksum errors. Its 551KB im sure the original was missing something that shifted stuff in the tune due to 1KB off. Bill however says its not an issue which I don't agree. Comparing them in a hex editor its defiantly off.

The answer from support was the redundant answer in other threads of "Unfortunately we do not perform any in house tuning or calibration work. If you already own our product and are looking For free tuning advice please visit our user help forum at www.hptuners.com/forum "

I wasn't asking on how to tune and before I licensed the file I told support the file was smaller. I even re read the file back out after the update which it still was only 550KB

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...lash-this-file

EVERY dodge file will give this error UNTIL its mapped.

Additionally a 1 kb difference in COMPRESSED files does not mean anything.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...lash-this-file

EVERY dodge file will give this error UNTIL its mapped.

Additionally a 1 kb difference in COMPRESSED files does not mean anything.

Ok well I didn't have all the lights on the dash before and didn't idle up and down. This is why I questioned the integrity to the file and now he issues even with a stock calibration back in it.

Senior Tuner
    I think the issue all comes down to the fact that you read the PCM + TCM in your original, modified parts of both, then flashed that new tune to the truck. When you went to flash the stock calibration back in, you only reflashed the PCM and have left the changes you made the TCM still in the truck. You have not corrected and returned the TCM calibrations back to stock.

I didn't even think it was possible yet to flash the TCM, but perhaps HP guys can chime in, I know they are working through enabling this feature, perhaps some ability to do so is in the latest 2.25 release?

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    I think the issue all comes down to the fact that you read the PCM + TCM in your original, modified parts of both, then flashed that new tune to the truck. When you went to flash the stock calibration back in, you only reflashed the PCM and have left the changes you made the TCM still in the truck. You have not corrected and returned the TCM calibrations back to stock.

I didn't even think it was possible yet to flash the TCM, but perhaps HP guys can chime in, I know they are working through enabling this feature, perhaps some ability to do so is in the latest 2.25 release?
    With regards to your TCM support question, NGC3X can be flashed. EGS52/EGS53 is currently in development

Senior Tuner
    Gotcha - when I open the files (his and the uploaded stock tune) I see nothing but Trans parameters, nothing for engine etc. That normal?

Gotcha - when I open the files (his and the uploaded stock tune) I see nothing but Trans parameters, nothing for engine etc. That normal?
    Make sure you have the latest beta (it gets updated almost every morning). His operating system was mapped out late last week.

Tuner in Training

With the update I got in my que to add support for this specific OS I was able to view engine and Trans parameters. Before I even read the truck I used the search function to be sure the Trans parameters were supported. After editing them the rolling idle started with the lights on the dash. I did a full write of the stock calibration to the engine and Trans side with the same issue. The truck is mechanically sound and didn't do it before.
    Last edited by roughneck427; 09-15-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Full retard this morning for me, thanks Mark, I can see it now.

Roughneck - couple of questions here. What do you mean by "rolling idle"? Is it surging? Idle stuck high?

ABS/brake light with a dying speedo indicates a bad speed sensor. Odds are it is coincidence the light came on after the flash. I believe it is located in the rear differential.

Comparison log between the tune you posted and the repository file show zero differences, it should be nothing tune related as to why you are getting the idle issues, but for assurances can you post up your modified file?
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 09-15-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah it surges from 500rpm to 1100rpm in P/N. In gear or ac on it tapers off with maybe a 100rpm difference. I had thought maybe a coincidence too. Scanning it with hptuners give a dtc for a brake switch and idol out of range . I check the operation of the brake switch and it works correctly .After a battery disconnect the speedo works for about half of a block and the ABS brake light comes back on and stays on.

I'm going to put a snap on scanner on it today and log the VSS sensor and scan the ABS system for any issues.
    Last edited by roughneck427; 09-15-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Senior Tuner
    With some quick research it seems intermittent if a code will be thrown (and thrown correctly) for a faulty speed sensor. Now that I think about it more, I believe the idle is related to the failing speed sensor. The tune relies on the VSS to establish if you are at idle or not (your tune defines under 3mph as idle condition). Without knowing the vehicles speed, I doubt it can idle correctly.