Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZF Swap / P0701 Transmission Control System Range/Performance

Tuner in Training

ZF Swap / P0701 Transmission Control System Range/Performance

Anyone successfully carried out a ZF swap without using your original mechatronics unit /or swapping your TCM onto the new mechatronics body. If say you had a 2009 FG and were to use a box from a 2013 FG, could you flash the new transmission with your calibration file or would the conflict of processor codes/hardware/software version cause a drama.

Also Im getting a P code when car going into revere that triggers limp home mode which goes away after a key cycle. Car is fine in all forward gears. Serviced the transmission today with new oil and filter but problem still exists.

Tuner in Training
    The only way I know to do a tranny swap is to remove the mechatronics units from both trannys and use your original one in the new box. Or alternatively swap just the TCM's as the hardware and software numbers have to match. I did find that the date on the filter was 2008 which would indicate the car had never had a tranny service in 100,000k's. A filter, flush and fill with Nulon fully synthetic even cured the flaring into 4th! Happy days.

Hey sasha

First up yes the mechtronics and ecu need to match ( which ever way you go about swoping what from car to car is up to you but mechtronics unit is easier imho )

Next up I've never used anything but gulf western syntrans and lifeguard6 in a ZF so unsure how the nulon is going but keep us updated
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Anyone successfully carried out a ZF swap without using your original mechatronics unit /or swapping your TCM onto the new mechatronics body. If say you had a 2009 FG and were to use a box from a 2013 FG, could you flash the new transmission with your calibration file or would the conflict of processor codes/hardware/software version cause a drama.

Also Im getting a P code when car going into revere that triggers limp home mode which goes away after a key cycle. Car is fine in all forward gears. Serviced the transmission today with new oil and filter but problem still exists.
    What exactly do you mean by "P code"
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

I had the same issue you're describing. I found that an aftermarket filter was used for a service and it sucked air from the filter neck. When I pulled the pan off the filter was just sitting in the bottom, genuine filters need a good swing to remove. I used Nulon full syn ATF and it seems to work well. You can tell it's not exactly the same as life guard on some shifts but nothing worth worrying about.

Tuner in Training
    I chose the Nulon fully synth muli vehicle for 2 reasons. 1. It says it's suitable on the front of the bottle 2. After a lengthy coversation with Simon from Nizpro, his reccomendation was this fluid.
    Its only $50 for 4 litres trade, so $100 covers a service (without a flush) compared to genuine at 3 times the price.

What exactly do you mean by "P code"..... When working with the Ford IDS we have whats known as P, U, B, and C codes. When using a generic scantool you may only have P codes depending on how "Cheap" it is.
    So to be exact hiddeous the prefix P is in reference to Powertrain, U are Network codes, B are Body codes and C are Chassis codes.

I'm not a master tech, however I have never swapped a ZF out with a second hand unit so I was wondering if anyone had and if the car would drive. However with every other transmission mainly the 6R80 I have only ever swapped the Mechatronics unit when replacing the transmission.

Seems to shift fine Jet I'm just too scared to give it the curry in case it flares bigger than Michael Jacksons nostrils
    Last edited by Sasha; 06-29-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I chose the Nulon fully synth muli vehicle for 2 reasons. 1. It says it's suitable on the front of the bottle 2. After a lengthy coversation with Simon from Nizpro, his reccomendation was this fluid.
    Its only $50 for 4 litres trade, so $100 covers a service (without a flush) compared to genuine at 3 times the price.

What exactly do you mean by "P code"..... When working with the Ford IDS we have whats known as P, U, B, and C codes. When using a generic scantool you may only have P codes depending on how "Cheap" it is.
    So to be exact hiddeous the prefix P is in reference to Powertrain, U are Network codes, B are Body codes and C are Chassis codes.

I'm not a master tech, however I have never swapped a ZF out with a second hand unit so I was wondering if anyone had and if the car would drive. However with every other transmission mainly the 6R80 I have only ever swapped the Mechatronics unit when replacing the transmission.

Seems to shift fine Jet I'm just too scared to give it the curry in case it flares bigger than Michael Jacksons nostrils
    I'm not sure if that was ment to be sarcastic or not, I'm actually quite familiar with the code designation's. Saying you get a "p code" is only one step past saying "a code" master tech or not.

Tuner in Training
    Definitely not sarcastic...This is not the XR6Turbo forum mate. I simply described the code prefix structure. The code I retreived was listed in the thread title. Cheers!

Yeh luke it's not homo hahahaha

After last nights FG into the fence it's quite relevant lol

I get W codes alot .......
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

I've been told a used ZF can be flashed with the Ford VCM if you purchase a motorcraft subscription but I haven't verified this myself.

$32.95 for a 72 hour license isn't too bad
    https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vd...d=pricing_info
    Last edited by timwds; 06-29-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a Bosch LT Flasher and Motorcraft service account (to allow access to the FMP software) and yes you can flash the TCM, but it's vin linked so you can put a 2013 tcm into a 2009 car and flash the latest strategy TCM file for the 2013 tcm into it. You can update to the latest VIN applicable file though.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    Yeh luke it's not homo hahahaha

After last nights FG into the fence it's quite relevant lol

I get W codes alot .......
    Wasn't that a ripper! I was only following for pics of mum

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    I have a Bosch LT Flasher and Motorcraft service account (to allow access to the FMP software) and yes you can flash the TCM, but it's vin linked so you can put a 2013 tcm into a 2009 car and flash the latest strategy TCM file for the 2013 tcm into it. You can update to the latest VIN applicable file though.
    That's definitlely valuable information mate

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not 100% if there was a typo in there you can/can't flash to the latest VIN though?

Advanced Tuner
    Can update the latest vin file but you can't flash say the latest bf tcm file into an fg or latest fg into an earlier fg. On the latest file applicable to the cars and tcm vin

Tuner in Training
    I've got a mate that has converted a FG G6 to turbo, the PCM is from a 2011 XR6 Turbo series one, the ZF we can't confirm although the seller said it was from a 2010 G6E Turbo. The gearbox is stuck in first and some gearbox related faults keep coming up obviously (they're not close by now, but will post them up soon).

We think its because the pcm doesn't match the tcm. Can we flash the tcm to match the pcm with IDS or HP?

Advanced Tuner
    I flashed a 09 F6 tune into a 09 G6E and it did the same thing, stuck in first with some error codes.
    It would have been good to have picture of the stickers in the door jamb of both vehicles involved as more chance of matching something up.

This will be a good test case to see what can be done.

Advanced Tuner
    Can't you pull the strategy details from the ZF?

Tuner in Training
    From what I understand the processor codes have to be identical for a straight swap to be effective. Alternatively the TCM and PCM must be from the same vehicle. As I have found swapping transmissions in my vehicle was as simple as removing my mechatronics unit, then the TCM from it and fitting it to the mechatronic in the new/used transmission. According to Herrod Motorsport anyhow, and it works. Other than that, there is no real cost effective and realistic way of doing it. This is why tear tag numbers should be taken and written on ZF's by wreckers to assist in cases where people are looking for a used tranny....but they don't.

Potential Tuner
    Short term reader, first time poster.

Just having problems with a couple of cars with "Software Mismatch" occurring between TCM and PCM. On some Google searches I am able to find instructions relating to short-term purchase of a FMP subscription, however no option is available on the Motorcraft Website. Have a VCM2 and IDS download, want to give TCM programming a shot through IDS but don't want to spend $699.

Hiddeous are you able to confirm a short-term subscription is available?