Thread: Knock Learn

Knock Learn

Hi guys, question time again...

I've noticed that a stock XR6T with a stock tune will knock if the knock sensors are disabled. I'm guessing that ford have tuned these things to fly close to the sun and heavily rely on it's knock learning ability to work things out.

Does anyone have any insight as to how knock learn actually works?
    Is there a singular timing scale multiplier or a complete table?
    Is there a way to clear/reset this with out disconnecting the battery?

Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by timwds View Post
    Hi guys, question time again...

I've noticed that a stock XR6T with a stock tune will knock badly if the knock sensors are disabled, and moderately bad with them enabled. I'm guessing that ford have tuned these things to fly close to the sun and heavily rely on it's knock learning ability to work things out.

Does anyone have any insight as to how knock learn actually works?
    Is there a singular timing scale multiplier or a complete table?
    Is there a way to clear/reset this with out disconnecting the battery?

Much appreciated
    Fixed it for you!, at least in my experience.

haha, so much for being tuned for 95 octane as the owners manual suggests, I've only ever run 98.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm running stock timing maps with BP98. It pulls the timing great with not even a pinkle. Usually down to 2 to 4 degrees. When I put 10% toluene then get the full commanded timing which is around 13 deg.

Just doing it to see how much you can rely on these knock sensor. I think works great. Its an FGt

Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    I'm running stock timing maps with BP98. It pulls the timing great with not even a pinkle. Usually down to 2 to 4 degrees. When I put 10% toluene then get the full commanded timing which is around 13 deg.

Just doing it to see how much you can rely on these knock sensor. I think works great. Its an FGt
    That's good to know, I've never heard anything out of mine (late BFII) with the sensors enabled.

I've been wanting to give toluene a try. Would be awesome to be able to daily to work on 98 and chuck some toluene in for the dags, flex fuel style.

Where can you buy it in a decent quantity?

Advanced Tuner
    I got 44 gallon drums from my father in-laws work (Painting industry). This is over 15 years ago. I cant get it anymore, just got 1/3 drum left.