Thread: 4l80e TCC lockup issues

Tuner in Training

4l80e TCC lockup issues

Can anyone help me with the part throttle and wot tcc lockup? Im using the Bluecat tables and the Transmission feels good. The tcc does lock sometimes but then after 15 or so seconds unlocks. Its a jakes lvl 5 d3 transbrake 4l80e\circle d 3d 3000 stall 258mm.
    Last edited by marlboroman71818; 07-24-2015 at 01:29 AM.

Tuner in Training
    bump, is there anyone who can help? For some reason the tcc lockup control on vcm scanner doesn't lock it either, but it will lock and unlock on its own randomly.

Tuner in Training
    update, I can force it to lock when I use the vcm controls and turn on TCC pwm and force motor.
    Last edited by marlboroman71818; 07-20-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    the convertor is going into apply en and locked. the force motor tables are factory but the convertor slip is anywhere from 100-200 rpm slip @ steady TP to 1000+ @60+% TP. when I turn the force motor current to on I get ~0 slip? can anyone help

Tuner in Training
    well that's disappointing, I thought out of all places this forum would be where help could be found.

I haven't gotten many responses to my posts either. I mainly do searches and hope to pick up tips from reading existing posts and the stickies.
    77 C10 - 416 6L90e Swap

Posting your tune normally helps.

Tuner in Training
    Road, It was all posted for the last two weeks. Multiple people viewed them but not one response in the thread so I deleted them :/

Tuner in Training
    lxcoupe I hear ya, eventually I got the info on here that has helped me out, hopefully I don't have to much line pressure until I can get gauges on it. Thanks to jimmyblue for his past posts.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, I've certainly noticed that there isn't much help to be found around here.

If it's not something that can be searched for, then it's "figure it out on your own."

Advanced Tuner
    You have to remember, a lot of the views are either people who are guests and can't respond, or people like myself who are looking to learn, but don't have the answer to your problem.

When you see 30 views that may also be just other people who came across your thread while searching for an answer to their own problem.

Transmissions are another thing that are black magic for most people. So your answer may not be so simple. Complaining about it will also only make the ones who know less inclined to help.

Post up another log that shows it and once I get to work I would like to see what you are dealing with. I'm hardly more than a novice myself, but sometimes having multiple eyes looking can help

Tuner in Training
    Markmx6, you make a good point.
    The problem I had was my convertor did lock but I still had 200-400 rpm of slip when cruising at highway speed. The convertor would sometimes feel like it locked and then unlocked. Really what was happening is the force motor current was going from around .7 amps to .10 amps. The lower the amperage the more line pressure that is supplied so the tcc locked tighter. Hope this will help someone in the future. What made this even more confusing is that this only started happening after changing to a different trans builder.

Look at the force motor current tables under the auto shift properties tab and compare under the two.
    Before
    idkwhatthisislol3acpsiandfanadjustments.hpt
    After
    idkwhatthisislol.tcc.force.motor.changes.hpt
    Last edited by marlboroman71818; 07-26-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    my truck.cfg tuningtcc07.21.2015.hpl
    my truck2.cfg tccdiagnostics3forcemotorcurrentfix.hpl

here is the before and after logs. pay attention to the tcc slip rpm and the force motor current anywhere after 45mph. mytruck config goes with the first log and mytruck2 goes with the second log.

was this a 4l80 installed in an original 4l80 setup, or was it a trans swap where there once was a 4l60?
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Tuner in Training
    originally 4l60e wiring and segment swap to a 4l80e

Senior Tuner
    When you command it to lock in the 100% TPS row, does it lock? Some other files have seperate WOT lockup tables, but seems these trucks don't. I'm about to undertake swapping an 80E into my 2005 also...similar Jakes D3 build (level 4 though) and a circle D triple disc 258mm. I haven't touched it yet, so I don't have any advice for what you're running into, I'm trying to learn.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I ran a swapped 4l80 for 500 miles then it burned up. Got it fixed under warranty and having more weird issues now. I am currently shopping for a standalone controller if it helps your decision to try and trick a tcm into thinking it's running a 70 or 60 when it's not...

Tuner in Training
    convertor is locking just seems to slip a lot without modifying the force motor current and it locks in third at wot and 4th when cruising, builder seems to think its a burnt tcclutch, but it has done this since the first day I put the transmission in and after I had them rebuild the transmission and cut the convertor open. they sent me a pressure guage I just have to find the time to install and diagnose further

Tuner in Training
    not tricking it into thinking its a 70 or 60, wiring has been ran/swapped and a segment swap performed. no relay here, it thinks its an 80e loland has been in the truck for around 5 years like this with different builders