Thread: Anyone mind reviewing my tune and log file?

Tuner in Training

Anyone mind reviewing my tune and log file?

I have a 2002 Z28 that is mostly stock outside of the catback and SLP lid. It has about 144k miles on it and I just got the car after being repaired (it was hit by a drunk). I'm just starting to learn HPTuners and would really like any input on the tune if something looks out of place. This is a daily driver that sits in heavy traffic at times, but still requires a quick romp to speed without KR, so I think the timing ended up decent with that considered.

I have done quite a few things with the tune and it seems to run great even in the heat of the summer. Below is a list of what I have done and attached are the files from the latest log and tune, including the config file (which hopefully I set up correctly).

Tune involved:
    Starting with a base map
    Adjusted shift pressures
    Adjusted shift RPM
    Adjusted redline RPM
    Adjusted AC cutoff RPM and TPS cutoff
    Adjusted fan on/off temp
    Adjusted rear ratio and shifts for 3.42 rear
    Tuned VE using LTFTs and used a Holden MAF file
    Adjusted spark (left stock KR and Burst values alone)
    Disabled AIR

Thanks!
    SeansZRTTWIP.hpt
    LOG1.hpl
    LS1 log default.cfg

This is just a personal preference of mine here, but if it was my car I would lower the PE rpm delay to 2,000 rpm and raise the MAP kpa enable back to 55 kpa. Then I'd work on fueling from there, it's a little rich still but still safe for something you drive everyday and not want to worry about.

Also your VE table is a tad choppy, just use the smooth function in the editor and it will help smooth the table out. One or two clicks and it will make it cleaner looking.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    The PE values are stock. I was told that they weren't used for LS1 cars the way they are tuned.

Stock is:
    15kpa for MAP enable
    Hot PE throttle is disabled by being set at 285*
    PE Delay is 5500RPM

From my understanding, only TPS value is used. KPA is so low that it will always enable as long as TPS is satisfied.

On the VE smoothing, thanks for reminding me, I completely neglected to smooth it out after I was done haha

Tuner in Training
    I smoother VE and made some small timing changes. I don't have a wideband yet so I am playing conservative with WOT and PE tuning. I'd rather be slightly rich than forcing it too lean during hot days (IAT reach 130*+ on the highway and in traffic.) I noticed that the VE table ended up being almost exactly the same as a LS6, but the timing seems very low compared to even a stock 1999 LS1. Should I be looking to get more timing into the car at mid and high RPM?

Attached below is the new tune and a log file from my way home in traffic and on the highway with some small city back roads.

SeansZRTTWIP.hpt
    LOG2.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Anyone wanna take a look over my tune? I'm just getting into tuning myself. This tune was on the car when i got it. Just curious what i can improve on.

Engine mods
    ws6 engine mods.png
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hooks; 10-21-2017 at 06:19 PM.

If you just want the car to have that little extra something that it has been missing maybe all you need is this..

make all these tables in your tune agree with the above picture and your car should feel different. And I don't think 5FDP was accusing you of changing your pe settings to where they were as much as telling you a better place to have them. The way it is set currently it will not kick in until a high rpm and anywhere but deep deceleration above 5500rpm and you will just be in pe. I think his idea was to have power enrichment come in at higher loads when you need it under a broader spectrum of your rpm range.

Potential Tuner
    all of that has already been done.

Well there are a few things under trans abuse that you have zero'd out that should be maxed out. But I guess we can argue that is redundant. I am just a stickler for correctness. Specifically it is your trans abuse rpm and tps that are zeroed out that say to the pcm above 0 rpm it is in abuse calculations. or above 0% tps. weird, no? But it is set to disable under abuse mode so w/e. Your Long Term Fuel Trims show that your tune could be better..

The above picture is of your lftf plotted over your ve table. In a perfect world that entire map would be populated with 0, -1, or -2. Any numbers anywhere in the positive mean that youe engine is going lean and the controller had to add fuel to bring it to a safe afr. -7 is just wasted fuel and lost power. Remember the ecu can trim so much in either direction to compensate for changing conditions but if you have your stuff setup biased to one side away from 0 then ultimately the controller has less of a window to keep the motor running right. where the controller has the freedom to add or take away 25% less the -7% that cell is at means at that spot no matter what happens your controller can only pull away 18%. Sure it still runs fine. But it is a reduced ability for your controller to control your engine.

But you gotta be worth your stuff to get your ltft to within -2%. Some guys shoot for -3 some go for -5 and apparently whoever setup your tune was just happy with single digit numbers. Do it in progressions. first try to get everything to within -5%. Once there and happy, shoot for -3. There is a setup to this process to make sure you are getting true and correct ltft data. You must first disable the power enrichment, cat over temp protection, and dfco as these things will throw off your ltft when they are commanded. Then you will disable the maf sensor and tune your ve table. Once your ve table is smooth and within -5 or -3 or -2 in all cells, then you will set maf fail frequency high back to 13,500 and under engine > airflow > dynamic > you will set high rpm disable to a low number like 200. this will disable the ve table and force all fueling calculations to be handled by the maf. And now you can give that maf calibration the same treatment. once all of its cells are within -2% then you put high rpm disable back to 4,000rpm and put the pe, cot, and dfco back and enjoy your good tune.

Not that your tune is bad. single digit numbers is a lot better than I have seen on some cars and here on this forum. From the log it looks like it drives nice

Potential Tuner
    Much appreciated. I'll work on it. I'm pretty happy with it overall, after i worked out some idle issues. It pulls pretty good. Made 488 to the tire on this tune. but i knew there was room for improvement. Just didn't know where to start.
    Thanks again