Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dodge LX NGC Tuning - A Starters How To

Tuner in Training

Tuning Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Take a stab

Just kidding....an N/A build on these cars is a good bit easier when not dealing with all the quarks of boost issues.

A lot of the items discussed carry over to an NA build. Once I actually tune a pure NA build I will be sure to share my results.
    Just got to say I love your work here. Excellent info. Respect.
    Did you ever manage to tune a NA car? I'm trying to tune my NA 392 Hemi with a mild cam. Have taken a lot of good pointers from your guide.

Looking forward to any guidance.

Cheers,

Mouritz

Tuner in Training
    Great guide. Thanks.

Any insight on PRatio? It seemed to me like it was relied upon heavily for global AFR targets but I'm probably mistaken.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nukefission View Post
    Great guide. Thanks.

Any insight on PRatio? It seemed to me like it was relied upon heavily for global AFR targets but I'm probably mistaken.
    Whats your question on PRatio?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Fuel>General

I left everything else stock except these...

Injector Pulse Width

InjPW vs. Fuel Mass - hopefully your injectors provided you flow data to fill this out. ID injectors do. If not, you will have to do some math versus a stock injector to get you a baseline. Not ideal but sometimes the only way.

Fuel Mass vs InjPW - inverse of the above table

Startup InjPW

Startup Base - cut these in half by multiplying entire table x 50% or 0.50

Closed Throttle Mult - cut these down by 17.5% to start by multiplying entire table by 82.5% or .825

Min InjPW

InjPW Min - just know this usually is lower than the stock injectors if your injectors are aftermarket, though each injector is slightly different. I have .152 for ID850s. Hopefully injector company provides this to you.

WOT Thresholds

WOT Pedal Thresh - set to 3.300 volts

Power Enrich

FA Power Enrich - set this table to be your WOT fuel air ratio. Math is (1 / Stoich FA + FA Power Enrich) you want. Or inversely if you know your AFR you want, plug it into this: =(1/AFR)- Stoich FA (not AFR). My stoich is .067 or 14.9, so for me I wanted to command 11.6 AFR under boost so =(1/11.6)+.067 = FA of .019. I put .019 to all the rows in the FA Power Enrich table up to the .75 pressure ratio row, then I scaled it to the equivalent of 13.5:1 by the top row. This blending helps the transition when going from cruising to WOT.

Fuel> Cutoff, DFCO

RPM Limits

You set these to be what you want, factory TCM and MTCM is set to 6700, if you have factory or MTCM you are limited to 6500 here or you will hit limp mode.

Torque Reduction - Rescale left side to be -250,-200,-125,50,0 and set to 100,100,50,0,0 for percentages. Gives you a "soft" rev limiter where factory will just bang on it pretty hard.

Fuel> Open and Closed Loop

Closed Loop

Coolant Temp - set to 32*, factory 14* makes no sense, risks a frozen block trying to run in closed loop? Use this also as your toggle for Open and Closed loop for VE tuning

Closed Loop Enable

ECT Rear - set to 374* as you don't want to ever be using your rear O2s for fuel trims

Fuel Trim Cells

Idle VSS - I set this to 5mph, you can leave stock and see if you have any fueling issues rolling around at slow speeds. If you see weird fueling right between 2 and 3 mph then come back to this.

Fuel>Transient

If you are stock intake manifold, leave this alone. If you have a roots blower, this should be bumped up but not sure exactly how much. try 12.5 to start.
    This is a really good thread 06300CSRT8. I have a naturally aspirated car that was tuned via email and my car was running terribly. just following this thread and changing some parameters now have my car running much better. I have changed some more parameters a few moments ago and will load the updated tune later on today. I however have a question, I realize that this is an old 2015 thread, can we now tune the TCM above 6700 with HP TUNERS?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppyPreston View Post
    This is a really good thread 06300CSRT8. I have a naturally aspirated car that was tuned via email and my car was running terribly. just following this thread and changing some parameters now have my car running much better. I have changed some more parameters a few moments ago and will load the updated tune later on today. I however have a question, I realize that this is an old 2015 thread, can we now tune the TCM above 6700 with HP TUNERS?
    Yes, can be tuned easily now. Glad to hear car is running well.

06300CSRT8
    Can you help me out I installed a built 6.1 in a magnum rt
    Big valve heads ported
    Ported intake
    268h efi extreme cam
    55lb injectors
    .30 over full forged internals
    200 shot of nitrous wet spray
    2 3/4 full stainless exhaust
    Nag1 trans 3.64 rear gear
    Stalls alot at idle
    Has alot power but it running on the stock 5.7 tune
    Since I changed to 3.64
    It bangs the rev limiter on every shift
    I climbs so fast
    With the 2.82 gear shift was flawless
    Transmission is a factory nag1 with 1800 miles on it
    Email is [email protected]
    Or you cant text me I have an hptuner
    But this is my first time ever building a dodge I'm a Ford guy and this is totally different

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    But this is my first time ever building a dodge I'm a Ford guy and this is totally different
    LoL, but that does not explain your username.
    Last edited by Homer; 04-23-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    06300CSRT8
    Can you help me out I installed a built 6.1 in a magnum rt
    Big valve heads ported
    Ported intake
    268h efi extreme cam
    55lb injectors
    .30 over full forged internals
    200 shot of nitrous wet spray
    2 3/4 full stainless exhaust
    Nag1 trans 3.64 rear gear
    Stalls alot at idle
    Has alot power but it running on the stock 5.7 tune
    Since I changed to 3.64
    It bangs the rev limiter on every shift
    I climbs so fast
    With the 2.82 gear shift was flawless
    Transmission is a factory nag1 with 1800 miles on it
    Email is [email protected]
    Or you cant text me I have an hptuner
    Start a new thread, post your tune and a log, and we will jump in to help

Bump for old thread, but have a question for OP.

Can we get an "Example" tune for the many who have asked about the NA portion of tuning. I also have more questions relating to the Fuel Tables and Spark Tables. Trying to understand for example, the table labeled "Blend Factor" under spark relating to Flex Fuel. When you open the table it says Spark Based Alcohol Blend. I am curious if this is a percentage table, I.E. If our blended 91 is 10% ethanol, is this the table to state 10% blend ethanol so that the (2) distinguished spark tables I.E. Base, and Base Alcohol for example for those of us who prefer different timing based on alcohol content, can let the ECM distinguish?

Specifically 2007 Charger SRT8. This specific car has CAI, 2" LongTubes, Open Mids, True X-Pipe, Full 3" exhaust out of the headers, 176 Tstat, SOS Coils, Motor Mounts, All the suspension bits, Trans tuning with upgrades.

Here is Stock rom as well as current tuned rom for example. I think the timing could use some work. It was professionally tuned, with little issues. I pose these questions for as I read and learn, I see different settings than is listed here. SO I am trying to understand why some tuners are doing things like what you see in this current tune, vs what you are stating in your OP. In some cases, there is a right way, and a wrong way, and then in others its a personal choice on best practices. I am trying to decipher and learn those areas where it is personal choice, and understand for myself as build continues, what best practice may be going forward. Thanks in advance. I do come from tuning Imports, NA and Boost. I see a lot of similarities. I see differences.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

One of the all time great threads on this site..............Thanks for the Insight

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rays04gtx View Post
    One of the all time great threads on this site..............Thanks for the Insight
    I couldn't agree more. I copied the post and used it as a checklist doing most of the items on it. I just wish I'd done the soft rev limiter part, but I'll go back and get that later.

Thank you 06300CSRT8!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnerx View Post
    Why is this not a sticky?
    Well it sort of is.

The main sticky link.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...n-and-How-To-s

The very last thread in first post of the sticky.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502

See the 2nd post and the link that says Overview of common dodge parameters
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502

Tuner
    Good stuff on this , being new to tuning im learing the gm stuff first then moving onto the Dodge. I have a 73 Dodge Challenger with a 6.1 Hemi and 545rfe transmission however its running on the 2004 Ram 1500 ecu. Everyone i talk to is telling me how im leaving power on the table like that . I would like to get at least the stock 6.1 tune or better if someone has done this already .. With it being speed density , im not sure where to start on it .

Not even 2 weeks ago I had the same discussion with a client, he?s running a 6.1/545, w/268h cam(some internet genius told him it?ll make50hp over the OEM cam) in a 80 aspen, he was using a 04 ecu , swapped it over to Holley terminator, for engine control and preceded to go slower, I tuned it, worked on it managed to get back the HP to where it was pre swap, the Holley system is great, especially for the worked g3 engine platform....... but it won?t do anything you 04 ecu can?t.
    Point is, your not missing out on any HP at this level of engine capability.

The 6.1 files still use 17 cells for spark and PE tables , but they are spaced out to go over 6k rpms

Your biggest set back is the trans, but I?m sure you have heard that many times. If you insist on keeping the 545, switch over to the 08 set ecu , you?ll have better control over the trans and will be able to utilize some more of what hp you?re making. I know it?s not what you asked, I?ll reach out to another client and get him to post a 6.1 tune for you
    Last edited by PurpleRam; 09-17-2022 at 08:47 AM.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    Not even 2 weeks ago I had the same discussion with a client, he?s running a 6.1/545, w/268h cam(some internet genius told him it?ll make50hp over the OEM cam) in a 80 aspen, he was using a 04 ecu , swapped it over to Holley terminator, for engine control and preceded to go slower, I tuned it, worked on it managed to get back the HP to where it was pre swap, the Holley system is great, especially for the worked g3 engine platform....... but it won?t do anything you 04 ecu can?t.
    Point is, your not missing out on any HP at this level of engine capability.

The 6.1 files still use 17 cells for spark and PE tables , but they are spaced out to go over 6k rpms

Your biggest set back is the trans, but I?m sure you have heard that many times. If you insist on keeping the 545, switch over to the 08 set ecu , you?ll have better control over the trans and will be able to utilize some more of what hp you?re making. I know it?s not what you asked, I?ll reach out to another client and get him to post a 6.1 tune for you
    Will look for an 08 ecm for sure .. yeah i mean it runs pretty good as it but that trans is a killer otherwise its a great cruiser .. I need to figure out what is causing my p0700 code . i changed the solenoid pack with no success.. But if the 08 will work with what i have and the tunes he sent me . im all for it..

Sonny

Potential Tuner
    Great thread, Thanks man!