Thread: First tune ever - Anyone want to critique?

Tuner in Training

First tune ever - Anyone want to critique?

Just got my HP Tuners setup yesterday, and messed around with it all last night and this morning. Have read a lot of info, and looked at a lot of different tunes out there to see what others are doing.

Vehicle is a 2009 Hummer H3 with 5.3 V8 (LH8)
    - Non DOD
    - Non Flex Fuel
    - All stock other than dry flow air filter and aftermarket exhaust
    - Has factory 10:1 compression with 243/799 heads
    - Has 35" tires (actual measurement on ground is 33.75")

Main reason I got HP Tuners was to be able to adjust idle speeds, enable some electric fans (aux fans in FRONT of radiator, will keep engine fan too), and adjust for tire sizes.
    But I figured I'd try to do the "basic" tuning stuff that everyone seems to do.

Anyway, I've attached the Stock file, as well as my Tuned file for reference.

If you guys see anything that I missed, feel free to let me know. Or if you see something that I did completely wrong, I'd love to know that as well.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Oh, and here are a couple logs that I took with my tune.

The first log has some heavy throttle, and the second is light throttle (how the vehicle is driven 90% of the time).

I do notice that I get some KR......

Ambient temps are in the 90's, with lots of humidity and sunshine. A/C blasting the whole time.

Looks fine to me, still basically stock like you said.

For some of that random KR, I like to adjust 2 tables under Spark > retard.

The Decay rate I like to take the whole table and x2, it's pretty sensative from the factory. Also the burst knock table called "Base vs CylairDelta", take that and reduce it by half. Some people will remove it all but doing it by half is just fine for a stock vehicle. Burst knock is kinda common on the GEN 4 V8 motors.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, I'll give that a shot. Thanks for your feedback!

Tuner in Training
    Changed those 2 tables and it seems to have helped. Right now, I'm pretty happy with the way that the engine runs.

However, I'd really like to tune the transmission just a little more. The actual shifts are great, I'm very happy with those. It's the transmission's resistance to downshift that I'd like to change!

Basically, it likes to lug along, when a downshift would really be best. The upshift points seem to be ok, though they could be just a tad higher IMO.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I should be changing to get it to downshift "easier"?

Thanks! And my latest tune is attached.

Tuner in Training
    Go to your Trans tab > auto speed shift and then have a look at your part throttle shift normal, here you will see your throttle position v.s shift dependant on speed, you can play around with the 4->3, 3->2, 2->1 speeds to see if you can adjust it to your liking. also look at the full throttle normal

hope this helps

Advanced Tuner
    I've found that just some small shift changes can really enhance the drivability of the car. On my car (2012 Impala), I found that it goes into 6th gear way too soon under light throttle. So I increated the 5->6 shift speeds to remedy that. I also made it so it downshifts much easier - instead of "lugging" the engine, just like you mentioned.

You may also want to mess with the TCC lock/unlock speeds...

You really have to experiment a litttle to get things just where you want them. Log, change, log change, etc....