Thread: Trackaddict for karting

Potential Tuner

Trackaddict for karting

Hello,

I plan to use Trackaddict only for its data logging capabilities, and I was wondering if it was possible to use trackaddict in a karting, on a rather short track (+/- 35s per lap) ?

The goal is to use it on this track (for starters) : https://www.google.fr/maps/@49.3390413,5.9777323,17z

I've downloaded the android version, and it seems impossible to enter manually the GPS coordinates of the finish line. I i enter them manually and click on the flag, the spot is correct. By longitude and latitude fields are emptied as soon as a leave the screen. I didn't find a way to save them.

Can you help ?

Thanks

Yes, TrackAddict can be used for karting, and it includes a "Narrow" tolerance setting that is helpful in these cases of smaller tracks. To get good GPS reception, it is important to have the smartphone (or external GPS) mounted securely and safely to the kart, because signal reception and accuracy can be problematic when simply placed in a pocket.

For the track that you linked, the satellite imagery for this area is somewhat lacking, but it appears that the start/finish coordinates are as follows:
    North Course: 49.339367, 5.978654
    South Course: 49.339122, 5.977373

These should be used with the "Narrow" tolerance setting, and are offset slightly to help avoid false-triggers from other nearby track segments. I'll also get these coordinates included in the next app update.

Regarding the coordinates disappearing after you've entered them, that should not be happening... I haven't been able to reproduce that issue on any of the devices that I have here, so it would be helpful if you could tell me which device brand & model you are using, and which version of Android it is running.

As an alternate approach, you could try the following sequence:
    1) Select "Circuit" mode and tap the button to select the Track
    2) Tap the "New" button
    3) Tap the "Add Another Track" button at the bottom
    4) Set the track's name, choose Narrow tolerance, and enter the Latitude and Longitude coordinates
    5) Tap the Back button to close the keyboard and exit this track selection screen
    6) Tap the Track button again and verify that the track's settings were saved

Potential Tuner
    Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using a quite old Samsung Galaxy S3. I've managed to store some information by doing this :
    - Enter the coordinates manually
    - Click new track named dummy, for instance)
    - Click on previous track name : Coordinates are still there
    - Click again on dummy, and then on the original track : No more coordinates.

The heading and size of the tolerance are kept.

I'm not sure, but it seems to be an issue with the decimal separator. My phone is in french locale, and uses the ','. If i click 49, it is transformed to 49,00000, but when i enter manually the coordinates, i must use the dot, like this : 49.00000

I think i will go to the track this week. I will make on site check for start lane, but i think it is OK.

The track is better displayed on here maps : For instance : https://www.here.com/?map=49.33913,5.97777,19,satellite or using mappy (but i can't get GPS coordinates from mappy) : http://fr.mappy.com/#/26/M2/THome/N1...,49.33958/Z11/

The south course is for kart renting, the north course if for competition.

By the way, there is another one in Luxemburg, start lane approximately at 49.547194, 5.974724 (only got there once) : https://www.google.fr/maps/place/49%...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 .

Potential Tuner
    Another track (for cars, this one) : https://www.google.fr/maps/place/49%...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

The same, with clearer satellite view : https://www.here.com/?map=49.54651,5.97504,19,satellite

There is one short track and one longer track (zoom out to see both)
    Last edited by Belial; 08-04-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Hello,

I'm not sure, but it seems to be an issue with the decimal separator. My phone is in french locale, and uses the ','. If i click 49, it is transformed to 49,00000, but when i enter manually the coordinates, i must use the dot, like this : 49.00000
    Hello,

i temporarily switched to 'english / US' locale, and it works fine now. Though not a definitive solution, it's a working workaround (ie : i can save the coordinates).

One other way to reproduce :

- Use french (France) locale
    - Create a new track
    - Enter a value without decimals : like 49 / 5 for coordintates
    - Click on the track name : Now trackaddict displays 49,00000 5,00000
    - Click again on track name : No more data. displays not set.
    Last edited by Belial; 08-04-2015 at 03:52 AM.

Thank you for the updates and info. I now see the problem for the European locales that use a ',' instead of a '.' as the decimal separator. The version 3.0.1 update is now being released on Google Play, so you should see it within the next few hours... It includes a fix for this, as well as more tracks.

Potential Tuner
    Hello,

the update is OK. I can now enter the coordinates manually. I hope i can test it (On south course) tomorrow

Potential Tuner
    Hello,

i finally tried the application. I worked almost OK, but the accuracy of the GPS is not good enough. It detected some finish lines even when i was driving in the opposite direction. I'm not sure that the 'auto' setting for this kind of small track is OK.

I have moved the spot a little to the north, and will try again without auto setting (in a few weeks, i think).

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I use TrackAddict for karting as well but when I set it to get the voice alerts of the lap timing in under one-minute lap tracks, I get no sound at all.
    Does it only work with longer laps?
    If so, could it be changed in future updates?
    Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I am also using TrackAddict in karting. Were you able to send the data to circuit tools?