Thread: NGC Rev and Shift RPMs Explained

Senior Tuner

LX NGC Rev and Shift RPMs Explained

See a lot of misinformation out there. This should clarify how the PCM and TCMs work together, a lot of guys know this but may not have mentioned it formally.

The PCM has two rpm limits, and they are 100% engine rpm limits.

RPM Limit Drive - this is how far the engine can rev before fuel and spark cutout will happen. If you have your settings right (read on) you WILL NOT go into limp mode for hitting this limit, you will simply feel the engine nose over and stop making power

RPM Limit P/N - like it says, engine rpm limit when not in gear. Dodge liked the idea of not letting 16 year olds free rev the motor to a valve bending RPM. I like to keep this stock or maybe mid 4,000s rpms.

Now, this is where it gets wacky. There is also a TCM rev limit, completely outside the PCM, that is the absolute max the transmission and motor are allowed to go. If you get to this point, YOU WILL GO INTO LIMP MODE and throw a few codes. Transmission will likely be locked to just second gear until you park, cycle the key on and off, or clear the codes with a scanner. Think of this limit as the end game limit, there is no soft limiter, no fuel cut, no spark cut, just a pure "no more transmission at all" limit, literally throws the trans into neutral at the instant you hit this limit.

The only way as of today to get a higher than stock TCM Rev limit (limits layed out below) is to buy an aftermarket one or get your stock one reprogrammed by the few who have cracked the code.

Factory TCM (5.7/SRT8) - commands shifts at 5800 or so, Rev limit is 6700
    Mopar TCM - commands shifts at 6200, rev limit stock at 6700

Programmers - Paramount, Eurocharged, AJ Hemituner (google him and you will find his info) - they can program any shift/rev limit combo you want.

Diablo - has figured most of this out, except raising the TCM rev limit. They offer "raised" shift points option that adds about 200rpms to whatever TCM you have, but I have hit the MTCM 6700 limit and gone into limp mode, so beware.

Here is how it all meshes together, you ALWAYS want your shifts to be completed around 100-150rpms BEFORE the TCM rev limit, and should have your PCM RPM Limit in Drive set here (6600 for a factory or MTCM, or like me I have a 7200 limit Paramount and have my RPM Limit in Drive set to 7,000). You want to hit the PCM rev limit before you hit the TCM rev limit to avoid limp mode. Moderate powered cars with a factory-ish transmission will complete shifts within 250-350 rpms, so for example the MTCM tends to finish up shifts around 6450-6500 rpms when it starts the commanded 6200 shift on a factory transmission. My Paramount TCM + SHR transmission even at 800whp commands a 6500 shift and its done before 6600, so I have room to play.

Basic formula for the not so gifted after reading the above:

Decide your TCM rev limit based on the above(either 6700 or something you had made custom); set your RPM Limit in Drive 100rpms before this.

Where this plays into the new Hellcat RPM limit everyone was hammering about at 6200, was a PCM based rpm limit, that appears to now have been found.

Hope this helps out a bit.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 08-03-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Other things of note....

2005 and early 2006 SRT8 TCMs had a NO SHIFT programming when in autostick mode, so if you keep your foot to the floor, itll rev to the RPM Limit in Drive and just bounce there endlessly until you hit the autostick or let off.

2006.5 and up all have a TCM that auto-shifts when in autostick mode. A lot of end users like this, they put it in autostick in 1st gear at the track, and just let it do its thing and TCM shifts at the highest rpm allowable.

Mopar TCM also is a NO SHIFT programming, just like the early 2006's. Also has 2nd gear converter lock up, revised downshift mph limits for when in "D" mode, and some other torque management tweaks

A proven combo that a lot of end users have employed is to get the Mopar TCM, which for most the 6,700 final rev limit is fine, and purchase a Tranzformer device. Not going into ALL the details here but the Tranzformer lets you set ANY shift rpm you want for any gear. Guys would find the very latest rpm they could command a shift for each gear without hitting the 6700 TCM limit, and be pretty happy.

The cream of the crop is a reprogrammed TCM from those mentioned, here you can choose a NO SHIFT or Autoshift, what TCM rev limit you want, and what shift RPM you want. But be mindful, its not adjustable.

Lastly, worth noting Diablo has figured out how to take any TCM, NO SHIFT or autoshift, and change it to the opposite, through the handheld.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 08-03-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Senior Tuner
    2005 and Early 2006 TCM is model number EGS52.

Later 2006 and on model number is EGS53.

I don't think any of the reprogrammers can work with the EGS52 core and require a the newer model.

this is all about to change
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    this is all about to change
    What do you mean by change ??

tuning EGS52/53 coming soon so you will be able to remove these limits and a whole lot more
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    Please be sure to include converter lock up behavior (factory is unlocked until 3rd gear)!!

Tuner in Training
    Can't wait!
    Edwin P. Gregory III
    SOUTHERN HOTROD, LLC
    2230 Richland St.
    Kenner, LA 70062
    SOUTHERNHOTROD.com
    888-BIG-HEMI

Senior Tuner
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    I would love to help these guys but can't take the risk, if something goes wrong and over revs or does something funky I'm not ready to kiss my investment goodbye.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    I would love to help these guys but can't take the risk, if something goes wrong and over revs or does something funky I'm not ready to kiss my investment goodbye.
    Understandable. This was more geared towards Eddie from Southern Hotrods.

Advanced Tuner
    Diablo told me that you can raise the rev limiter. But as of today in the Hellcats you cannot raise the shift point. If you shift manually you can raise the shift points. I think this is the same for HP Tuners. I do not think you can just leave it in drive and have it shift at 6200 or 6300 rpms. You have to put it in manual. If I am wrong which parameters do you change?
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    Diablo told me that you can raise the rev limiter. But as of today in the Hellcats you cannot raise the shift point. If you shift manually you can raise the shift points. I think this is the same for HP Tuners. I do not think you can just leave it in drive and have it shift at 6200 or 6300 rpms. You have to put it in manual. If I am wrong which parameters do you change?
    No 8 speed control yet.

Advanced Tuner
    Well hopefully soon. But I assume manual will work. You just have to be quick at the dragstrip. Set your shift lights on at 6250 which the hellcat has. As soon as it lights up tap the paddle shifter and hold on!
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Senior Tuner
    I haven't seen many hellcats pulling major power past 6k anyways, and with the factory powdered rods, not sure how much demand there really is to wind them out that much.

Advanced Tuner
    Hellcat power is still climbing at 6200 till the RPM limiter stops the fun.
    If you lift the PCM engine limiters to say 7k, and use paddle mode they will go to 6.5k on the dyno with power still climbing,
    till the trans rpm limit cuts it.
    So the 8sp for the 6.4 and Hellcat both have trans rev-limiter at what seems to be 6400ish.
    On the road in D they will shift around 6kish.
    But using raised PCM engine limiters and in paddle mode, they will self shift at around 6400-6500 with no need to use paddles.
    You can stop, select gear 1 or 2 with paddles and then launch and it will self shift....too easy.
    Best we can do till we get trans tuning for 8HP.....Please, please Mr HPt.....
    Last edited by Hemituna; 12-09-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    Hellcat power is still climbing at 6200 till the RPM limiter stops the fun.
    If you lift the PCM engine limiters to say 7k, and use paddle mode they will go to 6.5k on the dyno with power still climbing,
    till the trans rpm limit cuts it.
    So the 8sp for the 6.4 and Hellcat both have trans rev-limiter at what seems to be 6400ish.
    On the road in D they will shift around 6kish.
    But using raised PCM engine limiters and in paddle mode, they will self shift at around 6400-6500 with no need to use paddles.
    You can stop, select gear 1 or 2 with paddles and then launch and it will self shift....too easy.
    Best we can do till we get trans tuning for 8HP.....Please, please Mr HPt.....
    This is exactly what I have been seeing when messing with the rpm limits. Also, I have seen the same thing with power. I have yet to see the fall off in power with the hellcat. Even when running smaller pulleys. Though I have not tried to spin one past 6600 (manual trans) just for the simple fact that I don't want to test the valvetrain too much. One thing is for sure, we need 8 speed trans tuning!